Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22 Hornet Consternation (Read 1755 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 Hornet Consternation
Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:16am
Print Post  
If committed to a loading press you can run it without using a shell holder at all. Just put a piece of steel over the Ram. Only reason for the shell holder is pulling case out of the die after sizing, at the cost of not allowing die to bottom out. No matter die won’t size solid brass anyway.

Have made steel  fixtures recessed to index case heads, hole to allow the primer to drop. Rod & hammer knocks it out. Made first one many many years ago to reload 8 G shotgun shells. Recent model failed effort to make 25/20 out of 32/20. Works for some not for me due my rifles chamber and weak extractor 

Boats

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Hmmm. Running it farther into the die than intended will set the shoulder back. Not a safety issue as it headspaces on the rim, but with all the extra working of the brass (firing/sizing cycles) it may cause increased neck/shoulder splits. Annealing would be to your advantage. That's not to mention greatly increased case body stretching on subsequent firing leading to early case head separations, which would be the far greater detriment. Perhaps do that trick just once and then neck size only thereafter?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Thinking some more, I'm liking the idea about getting a chucking reamer and creating a simple cylindrical die, and using an arbor press (or bench vise). Such reamers can be had quite inexpensively from places like McMaster-Carr, in increments of, like, .001" or so. Use a piece of any old steel and don't worry about hardening it, cycling a couple hundred lubed cases in and out won't wear it noticeably.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
This being a single operation on once-fired brass fired in another rifle, I wouldn't worry too much about shoulder setback and case stretching.  After all, it's not the intention to do this every time, just for fitting the once-fired brass to the chamber.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
You could buy a chucking Reamer but probably take buying a few to hit proper size on the mark. Brass spring back and if fitting for both chamber and bullet size makes it trial and error, hard to get required diameter first try. My experience anyway. 

On the Lathe simple dues easier and much cheaper, if you have access to one. Arbor press good addition to your shop, have 2, large and a small one either one bought cheap. always finding a new job for them. They are considerably stiffer than a loading press even small ones.

Boats

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
The only sizing die I have ever owned that is a perfect fit when full length sizing is a custom RCBS die that was made for my 7mm/303 EPPS High Wall.
You should measure a fired case and with small increments lower the sizing die until it is the same shoulder measurement of the fired case. some people with bolt guns like to give a bit more length so it gives a bit of fell when turning the bolt down.
I have found that with a small BSA Martini that if you neck size too often you can have trouble with the weak extractor.
I had trouble writing this as the little thing that shows where you are on the page had vanished, Just had an update on my apple computer and wondered if that was the problem or a problem with the web page? on re-reading this I notice I have put a capitol J after the comma and to correct this I would have to delete every thing up to this so please excuse this.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Just logged back on after a few hours and all is now ok with the web site and with my first post old age struck yet again. Instead of 6.5 X 50R it should have read 5.6 X 50R.
Regards to all.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2023 at 7:57pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime stated that he had not experienced problems with his 3 K HORNETS. Part of the reason may be that by rechambering to K HORNET you have minimized or eliminated part of the problem with the Hornet case, such as case stretching due in part to very thin case walls, which can lead to case separations. Savage mod 23 Hornet rifles with rear locking lugs are notorious for stretching cases, again, due in part to less support from rear locking lugs. Those that I had and rechambered to K hornet, helped with the problem, along with lighter pressure  loads yet standard hornet velocities in the K chamber. I now have a K hornet on a C Sharps model 1875, and a Winchester 54 Hornet, neither have given me any problems. The most simple solution is to not oversize, and not try to make a Hornet into a Bee.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Feb 4th, 2023 at 9:11pm:
I now have a K hornet on a C Sharps model 1875, and a Winchester 54 Hornet, neither have given me any problems. The most simple solution is to not oversize, and not try to make a Hornet into a Bee.

Bingo. My M54 K-Hornet (chambered by, and documented, by Lysle Kilbourne himself- one of his personal rifles) exhibits no case stretching, as do none of my "regular" Hornets. Entirely attributable to the fact that I don't skate around with max or even near-max loads. Or maybe I'm just lucky. Or drink good whiskey. I don't know.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 6:31am
Print Post  
My K Hornet was in a Thomson Center Contender carbine, break open action & good extraction. While not a a “K” similar case 25/20 is in a Marlin 1894 Lever Action. Extractor barely larger than typical .22 LR extractors. Had to carry a cleaning rod to knock out stuck cases. 

Fix for the Marlin was proper sized case & I suspect same will be true for your BSA. KHornet case in my TC never showed signs of stretching. After the first fire form & trim all case work done with neck sizer die.

Agree with rkba don’t hot rod the cartridge for best result.

Boats

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 5th, 2023 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
My K-Hornets were a low wall I had in college, an Aydt., and an H&R military bolt action survival rifle. I had plenty of GI soft point ammo (do not use on enemy personnel!) and once I fired it in the K chamber I had K brass. Still have the H&R and a cute little stock I'll put it in someday. I think it used Win 52 magazines (which I have a few of) but single shot is fine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint