Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Primer shortage according to this source! (Read 1568 times)
Chief1966
Participating Member

Primer shortage according to this source!
Feb 1st, 2023 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Makes sense, or does it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Re: Primer shortage according to this source!
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Hmmm, funny how there was NEVER a primer shortage ever before when we had a much larger military, were involved in a lot of conflicts around the world, had larger police forces (and ammo requirements?), had a LOT more hunters and recreational shooters, etc.
I guess that comes down to the lack of raw materials? Color me skeptical. 
It might well be that they can't get enough people to work; the new paradigm seems to be why work when you can sit at home in front of the TV and the government condones it.

The 22 rimfire "shortage" seems to be slowly loosening up. No lack of raw materials there . . . . .  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 9:59am
Print Post  
to quote Father Guido Sarducci"s 5 minute university-

Economics? "Supply and Demand." That's it. Business is, "you buy something, and you sell it for more."

IP Logged

406shooter
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:09am
Print Post  
If the explanation was as simple as they said, why weren't they willing to go on the record?  Kinda strange in my book.

Around Dodge City and the territories out west, there's only one way to deal with the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Sure it makes sense. The Covid shutdowns didn't help anything, the continued "relief" payments keeping people at home , makes a problem along the entire supply line. Throw a huge demand in factory ammo from new shooters, and it makes a perfect storm.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I think all of the theories have some merit, and some truth. But I think none of them are 100% true. The reality is that everyone involved from the manufacturers to distributors, and your local sporting goods stores is gouging because they can.
Things certainly did slow down during the pandemic, and workers stopped coming to work when they got free money to stay home. But when demand drove the prices to extremes, everyone involved saw dollar signs, and realized customers were willing to pay much more than they ever imagined before! So now that the new price average has been set, don't expect anything to get cheaper just because shelves begin to fill up again. This sort of thing has been done for longer than most of us have been alive.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I think the only thing that'll relieve the "shortage" and drive prices back down will be for a new kid on the block to appear - a new entity devoted to primer production that'll set the industry on its head. But, I'm not holding my breath.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
It’s not really hard to figure out. Based on new gun owners first time purchases, record sales every month for 2 years, if every gun sold came with a single box of ammo, it would amount to 1.5 billion primers needed. Before you factor in hoarding both ammo and components due to the run up to an election.

Then cut production by 25-30% with Remington out of the picture during that time frame.

Next throw in your favorite covid conspiracy and labor force reduction. Including the number of people buying ammo and components with their covid checks, paying too much because it’s “free money”.

Lots of factors. Still all boils down to supply and demand. 

Did I mention government handouts and double Digit inflation?

Can’t wait for all the safe queens to hit the second hand sales market in I few years. 

IP Logged

RAM
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
This is an interesting conversation. I have as most all of you been thru shortages before both real and orchestrated. This one definitely seems to be the latter to me. Undecided I agree with gnoahhh that an entrepreneur getting into primers would set it straight eventually. I would also doubt it would ever happen, but then again never say never. 
     Like allot of things now a days there is allot of reasons put out for us to keep us busy guessing and wondering why something like in this case primer shortages are happening. Some or most have some small substance of fact, and that small amount of truth is inflated and used to suffice the public.  I in my own opinion believe that in this case it leans toward greed and taking advantage of us.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
406shooter wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 10:09am:
If the explanation was as simple as they said, why weren't they willing to go on the record?  Kinda strange in my book.

My thought also.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
LGS has all the primers for $150 a thousand small pistol, small pistol magnum, Epstein didn't kill himself, large pistol, large rifle,and large rifle magnum

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 12:10pm:
I think the only thing that'll relieve the "shortage" and drive prices back down will be for a new kid on the block to appear - a new entity devoted to primer production that'll set the industry on its head. But, I'm not holding my breath.

There is going to be if you can wait 2 years. Fiocchi  is breaking ground in Arkansas right now to build a new $40 million plant just to make primers.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:16pm:
LGS has all the primers for $150 a thousand small pistol, small pistol magnum, Epstein didn't kill himself, large pistol, large rifle,and large rifle magnum

Aaron

Grin

A local gun auction had some primers this past week-end that sold for $175/1000 plus 13% buyers premium plus ca. 8% sales tax. I'll let you do the math.
I'd like to know who's buying these at those prices.

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 2:22pm:
gnoahhh wrote on Feb 1st, 2023 at 12:10pm:

There is going to be if you can wait 2 years. Fiocchi  is breaking ground in Arkansas right now to build a new $40 million plant just to make primers.

Hell, half of us may not even be here in 2 years!

And Ukraine will have won the war and repaid all the money and munitions we sent over. Result - no more primer shortage!

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2023 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
If no one bought primers the price would collapse!  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint