Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: Cbashooter on: Jan 30th, 2023 at 1:23am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 219 DW cases from 219 Zipper (Read 675 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

219 DW cases from 219 Zipper
Jan 29th, 2023 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I have a highwall in 219 Donaldson Wasp.  Based on my chamber cast it's the long version of the Wasp chamber.  I also have 20 219 Zipper cases.  The shoulder of the Zipper case seems to start at almost the identical place as the Wasp chamber cast.   

Is it likely that I an run these cases through a Redding 219 DW full length sizer to set the angle on the shoulder, trim and shoot?  Or should I blow them out with cream of wheat after sizing? 

Any thoughts on getting this rifle up and going with this brass would be appreciated!

thanks, 

Chris.

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Re: 219 DW cases from 219 Zipper
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2023 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I’d run a couple of them through the die, trim and shoot to fire form one or two , then check the overall length to make sure they don’t shrink too much when forming. If they do shrink too much, then use the cream of wheat to fire form and then trim. I don’t have a 219 dw but make 22HP, 25-35 and 32-35 from 30-30 cases, you can make your 219 dw from 30-30 if you do it in steps and anneal at the end
Gumpy

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2023 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Going from memory of attempts almost 40 years back, I think your Zipper cases may split when fire-formed.  If you have original Zipper cases, especially unfired, they have slipped into the realm of collectibles.  Maybe they will finance part of a proper set of forming dies.  There are plenty of 30-30 cases to play with.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2023 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 29th, 2023 at 9:29pm:
Going from memory of attempts almost 40 years back, I think your Zipper cases may split when fire-formed.  If you have original Zipper cases, especially unfired, they have slipped into the realm of collectibles.  Maybe they will finance part of a proper set of forming dies.  There are plenty of 30-30 cases to play with. 

These are recently made cases.  I bought them for $15 by mail from a place on the other side of the country that often carries old stuff.   

I'd actually prefer that the rifle was chambered in the .219 Zipper.  I was reading Campbell's second book again tonight and although the Zipper came along after the last 1885 was produced, it sounds like Winchester would sell you a barrel for your 1885 chambered for the zipper which is kind of neat. 

Chris.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2023 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I have a hiwall in .225 Winchester that im quite  fond of.IIRC I used a 32-40  or 25-35 FL dies then the 225 FL to make cases from 30-30 .,( i don't remember exactly what i did but it wasn't complicated)They fireformed fine.i annealed before firming and after the fireforming.I have the 50 I made and they have held up with mid power cast hollowpoints.
my chamber is nice in that it's cut for unmodified 30-30 rims.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2023 at 1:29am by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2023 at 7:08am
Print Post  
I have a Borchardt chambered in something a little shorter than the .219 Zipper and a little longer than a .219 Donaldson.  Maybe one of those intermediate Pfeifer wildcats in Landis’ book.  It’s basically the shape and capacity of a rimmed .222 Magnum.

I have a bunch of factory Zipper cases but have never processed them; as mentioned, they’re valuable in their own right and even high grade .30-30 shells, like Norma, are still pretty cheap for the committed scrounger.

The original Zipper and .25-35 shells allegedly used to be ductile enough so loaded ammunition  could simply be fireformed by shooting it in Improved chambers, or shortened and trimmed, and likewise.  I’m surprised at the extent of modern reportage of Hornet cases being split in K-Hornet chambers.  Never had anything like this happen, myself.

Anyway, what I did with the shortened and necked-down .30-30 shells was to load them with a midrange .222 Magnum powder charge of 3031 or whatever was handy, cap with bulk .224” bullets and go tin-can shooting.  Fireforming went well, with no problems I can remember.

After one faux pas, I held off annealing until the shortening and necking down was done.  Too easy to collapse shoulders if the brass is too soft.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2023 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
As an experiment, I fire formed some 219 Zippers through my late version long-necked Wasp. The formed fine but, of course, were quite short. I kept them on hand for lead bullet shooting. I can easily form my Wasp brass from 30-30 brass using a series of dies. My Wasp has a slight preference for the Sierra .223 Hornet bullets. They seem to be getting harder to find.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint