Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Rifle Shoppe Inc. (Read 1555 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

The Rifle Shoppe Inc.
Jan 10th, 2023 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Has anyone been able to contact the above recently. I have been calling for weeks and their email address is not responding either. I am looking for some Ballard parts and was hoping they would be a source.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The Rifle Shoppe Inc.
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I was going to try and contact them as well.  If you hear back keep us posted.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Haven't purchased from him in probably 2 years, but back then a call always got answered. Hope somebody lives near Wellston, Ok. or Oklahoma City and might be able to drop by to check things out? He's just NE of OK City.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I just got some cast Ballard levers from Rodney Storey, but I don’t think he sells many individual parts.  S&S in New York sells a lot of parts for historical arms including Ballards.  I think they got a lot of their castings from the Rifle Shoppe, so they may or may not have what you are looking for.  When I asked them about restocking they were a little vague… it seems that Rifle Shoppe is in transition after an illness or death. What parts do you need?

Froggie

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I emailed them before Christmas asking about a hammer and fly, but never heard back.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
If I hear anything I will certainly pass it along. I need an extractor blank or casting of the same that can fitted to the project in the shop. Also needed is the casting for the lever to breech link that I can ream with a wider hole spacing to correct the drooping lever.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I was up at Jesse shop last week. His wife is the one that answers the phone . Mike his son is doing a lot of the work now. Jesse he’s in his mid 70s. He also said now that I making single shot parts. He was going to back off as he has more than he can do with the muzzleloaders.
     I make Casting sets for the 30 different  single shots. So as a result I do have parts . the Ballard ,Hiwall Winchester,Remington rolling block and Sharps are the ones that I have the most parts for. The market is so small that I do not keep much of an inventory. I have not made a list of parts just dont have the time for the fore seeable future. But if I do have it  in stock I’ll be glad to sell it do you. Just sent out a hepburn extractor today. Thanks for your interest.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2023 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Thanks for the update Rodney, I appreciate knowing what is happening at the Rifle Shoppe.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2023 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Rodney,

I’m wondering whether the folks at S&S Firearms in New York have been in touch with you?  I also shoot with the North-South Skirmish Association and they are one of the few companies selling repro parts (formerly from the Rifle Shoppe) to that wing of our hobby, and at last report were still waiting for parts shipments for things like Ballard hammers and levers etc.  this might be another market for your goodies.

BTW, thanks for the levers you sold me recently. They were both exactly what was needed!

Your Friend the Frog

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2023 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
As for links - I had this guy laser-cut some Stevens 44 link blanks back in July.  Sent him a CAD file to work from.

vanguard.gunsmithing@gmail.com   Charles Callaja

new URL:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He has access to laser and waterjet cutters.  Is offering build kits for the deHaas Chicopee and the Remington Model 6.   

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2023 at 3:12am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2023 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Since Jim at Distant Thunder retired we've had no good resource for Ballard links like he made. His sets of 6 links spaced .001" difference hole to hole were just what you needed to get lockup and firing pins correct. Really need links with various spacing to be able to adjust the lockup, and center the firing pins on the primers. So can't just make up a link based on measurements of an existing sample.
I've been convinced for many years that workers at Marlin had bins full of a variety of different spaced links to choose from when fitting breech blocks to Ballard rifles, and just grabbed a link to try it, and then determined if it was the right hole spacing, or needed different link that was shorter or longer.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2023 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
That's why I had Charles make me blanks - no holes - for the Stevens 44.  I measured all the "spare" links I had in my possession, and found them all over the map.  In addition to which I had him cut them out of 4130 prehard, which is a lot tougher than the mild steel Stevens used.   

I'm in no shape to take over making the Ballard sets myself, but I'll talk to Charles about it.  Do you have a nominal dimension for the hole diameter and spacing?   How many sets could he sell over the next year or two?   

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Well if Dan's sight was still up I could give his details on spacing. As it is I'd have to pull apart a bunch of Ballard rifles and see if I could get some average, and then figure .001" going 3 over, and 3 under the average. Hole size is easy since I've got brand new screws to get that measurement.
How many sets could be sold is an unknown? I know Dan once said he got a number of guys wanting to buy just one, but not buy the set of 6 pcs. But then if they picked the wrong spacing they'd want to return it and get a different one. I'd bet about half the links he sold were in sets, and singles for the rest. 
His price was I think $20 each, and a small discount for the set of 6.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
They were great to have available, I bought two sets and still using them!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint