Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gotta love this primer price & Hustle ! (Read 1116 times)
Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Gotta love this primer price & Hustle !
Jan 8th, 2023 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Old listing on their site  and not sure if company is still in business. (Let's hope not).
"Only"  $650 per 1000 **with a 50% deposit upon order**
We need to remember companies like this
"Cheaper Than Dirt" has a similar "panic pricing" business model.But at least no 50% deposit for a product they didn't have in stock.

IP Logged

condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Re: Gotta love this primer price & Hustle !
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 12:42am
Print Post  
The first time I encountered Cheaper Than Dirt they were advertising 9mm for $135/1000. Wish I'd bought more than  1,000! Of course they're no longer "cheaper than dirt".

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 1:12am
Print Post  
condorsc wrote on Jan 9th, 2023 at 12:42am:
The first time I encountered Cheaper Than Dirt they were advertising 9mm for $135/1000. Wish I'd bought more than  1,000! Of course they're no longer "cheaper than dirt".

During one scare they canceled all  placed orders and adjusted prices over 700% 
They were trying to get $100 for plastic AR magazines that the day before they were selling for $13 ea!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Then there's the huge influx of scammers advertising cheap powder, primers, etc. to bilk innocent folks out of their money these days! 
Since the shortages started there are some very sophisticated scam sites popping up who advertise having things we all want, and at prices that are low enough to be very appealing too! Yesterday while reloading for my .40-50SS I noticed my supply of 4198 powder was getting down to less than 2 lbs.! 
So I searched the internet and found a place called "Springfield Firearms Supply" that listed H4198 for $30 a pound, and their "chat line" told me they covered the hazmat fee! Sounded too good to be true, so I did a search of their physical address in Basalt, Co. and then another search of "tenants at this address", but they didn't show up as a tenant. I also did a street view, and it's a small building with a half dozen tenants, so no way they could have a large enough space to conduct even a modest business there.
At that point I dropped any thought of pursuing a purchase as my gut told me it's a scam.

And their payment options were:

-zelle
-venmo
-apple pay
-google pay
-pay pal friends and family
-bank transfer
No credit card option you can dispute.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

406shooter
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Exactly, Marlinguy!
At one point I was searching for a new production Winchester 1885 low wall and I found several on those questionable websites.  I ended up talking to a guy at Winchester who told me that they spent $30,000  shutting down one Winchester scam site and before the ink was dry three more popped up. Consequently, they can't afford to try to shut them all down. Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2023 at 4:51pm by 406shooter »  

Around Dodge City and the territories out west, there's only one way to deal with the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke.

IP Logged

Highwall Pete
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I had a similar experience trying to get 30-06 for an M-1.  They wanted zelle for payment. It wouldn't go through and my wife talked to our bank and they said you should only use that for people you know personally. 
The price on the ammo was a really good price.
I guess the old adage:  If it seems too good to be true . . .
still holds.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I guess it all depends if one actually wants to continue to shoot or not.
God only knows how many folks that I know who have very expensive.bass boats, fishing poles, reels and lures. 
And most cannot even use them year round. 
That doesn't even include, licence, insurance and gas for both the boat and the pickup truck or something else to still be able to get out. 
I still have primers and powder that I will now never use now but it is now all just a part of life. 
As is everything else in life now and by no means is any of it cheap. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
  Well put John, I'm with you!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2023 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
JLewis-
..so if you wanna keep shooting just send money  to scammers and unethical businesses...? 
better to  support good honest  people IMHO

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 1:37am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 9th, 2023 at 3:08pm:
Then there's the huge influx of scammers advertising cheap powder, primers, etc. to bilk innocent folks out of their money these days! 
Since the shortages started there are some very sophisticated scam sites popping up who advertise having things we all want, and at prices that are low enough to be very appealing too! Yesterday while reloading for my .40-50SS I noticed my supply of 4198 powder was getting down to less than 2 lbs.! 
So I searched the internet and found a place called "Springfield Firearms Supply" that listed H4198 for $30 a pound, and their "chat line" told me they covered the hazmat fee! Sounded too good to be true, so I did a search of their physical address in Basalt, Co. and then another search of "tenants at this address", but they didn't show up as a tenant. I also did a street view, and it's a small building with a half dozen tenants, so no way they could have a large enough space to conduct even a modest business there.
At that point I dropped any thought of pursuing a purchase as my gut told me it's a scam.

And their payment options were:

-zelle
-venmo
-apple pay
-google pay
-pay pal friends and family
-bank transfer
No credit card option you can dispute.

2 years ago there was a fake Remington website a friend of mine sent me a link to some guns that were too good to be true. the same thing as you said the payment methods were suspect as well as the contacts correspondence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:49am
Print Post  
My search to find more H4198 lead me to that scam. Yesterday I spoke with a rep at Hodgdon and he told me they're constantly taking legal action, inculding involving the FBI to shit down fake sites using Hodgdon logos or trying to pass themselves off as the company.
Unfortunately he also told me that they haven't had H4198 for over a year, and have no idea when they might get any more in? So those companies charging $50 a pound have you over a barrel if you use this powder.
I've got a lot of other powders, but nothing close to H4198. Both Reloader 7 and 5744 are very close, but I've never used either. I have 8 lbs. of 4759, and going to run some loads through my ballistic program to see what kind of pressures it comes up with, and what the pressure curve looks like also. I've never used 4759 for cartridges larger than .38-55, so not sure if it's workable?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Thankfully I have had enough common sense to not get involved with a scammer.
I have I paid to pay what one might call a premium price to keep on shooting yes.
But with only those that I have learned to just trust over the past 23 years. 
I have also probably shared more primers than I ever had to borrow while even knowing full well that I might also run out. 
And I have also never had more than 5000 at a time but I also had allot of very serious competitive friends who would also share with others during those times.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2023 at 12:21pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint