Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .25-25 #2 rolling block - separated case neck! (Read 2529 times)
ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .25-25 #2 rolling block - separated case neck!
Reply #15 - Jan 1st, 2023 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Jan 1st, 2023 at 6:58pm:
The 25-25 is a straight taper cartridge. What I have measures .300” at the base, .280” at the neck and 2.380” long. That first step should not be there.

25-20 SS is .315” at the base.
25-20 win .348”

A quick measure of the base of the chamber might confirm if someone re-chambered.

What’s in the chamber looks to be about the right spot for a case to separate if it had a cannelure(?) stop ring for the bullet in the case.

It seems you are right - someone has had a reamer in it  Embarrassed  Using a telescoping gauge and micrometer. I took 5 measurements of the chamber just ahead of the rim. They averaged out to .3494".  Cry Cry Cry   The shoulder starts about .950" from the breech face.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2023 at 7:30pm by ndnchf »  

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2023 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Has someone bushed it to 25-20 wcf or ss?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 1st, 2023 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jan 1st, 2023 at 7:24pm:
Dellet wrote on Jan 1st, 2023 at 6:58pm:
The 25-25 is a straight taper cartridge. What I have measures .300” at the base, .280” at the neck and 2.380” long. That first step should not be there.

25-20 SS is .315” at the base.
25-20 win .348”

A quick measure of the base of the chamber might confirm if someone re-chambered.

What’s in the chamber looks to be about the right spot for a case to separate if it had a cannelure(?) stop ring for the bullet in the case.

It seems you are right - someone has had a reamer in it  Embarrassed  Using a telescoping gauge and micrometer. I took 5 measurements of the chamber just ahead of the rim. They averaged out to .3494".  Cry Cry Cry   The shoulder starts about .950" from the breech face.

That sucks. Sounds like 25-20 win.

There’s not much out there with a .345-350” base and 2.5” long. If there was, people would make 28-30 or 32 Ideal out of it.

A 28-30 case necked down to 25 with a 1.5” neck would be a conversation starter for sure.

Any chance the barrels been shortened?
It the chamber was shortened it might not be so bad. The neck wouldn’t be so long.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2023 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
It doesn't appear to have been shortened. Ar this point, the best coarse of action ahead is probably a reline. But that will be down the road.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Thinking about this, I wonder if that brass case neck was put there intentionally to act as a bore sleeve for the shorter .25-20 WCF. Kind of a tunnel to guide to bullet to the chamber mouth. The rear edge of the case neck looks a bit eroded, as if the rifle has been shot with it in place. Hmmmm Undecided

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 9:19am
Print Post  
I once bushed a chamber on a .22-15-60 Stevens 044-1/2 barrel that somebody had gouged the breech end out of, for reasons lost to history.

I drilled and bored the bad part out, turned a piece of .22 barrel to fit, turned a graphite rod (from the glass shop at work) to hold the bore and bushing in alignment, soldered the piece in and broke the graphite out with drills and punches.

I set the compound to the angle shown in Kelver’s Pope book and bored the bushing out to match the rest of the chamber.  I wound up having to make a reamer (of sorts) to clear some invisible obstacle in there before I could chamber my precious cases, but it’s worked fine since.  It was a desperation measure, but, as John Bivins used to say, “Original fabric is precious.”

I sold my .25-25 reamer to somebody on this forum a couple years back.  Maybe he’d be willing to let you rent or borrow it if you decide to go this route.  I’ve found the .25-25 harder to get accurate loads with than a .25-20 or .25-21, and attempts to make it more powerful in smokeless loadings generally result in ruined cases.  But it is certifiably Cool.  Smiley

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I'm going to whole-heartedly agree with Bent Ramrod, I went through all the steps to make these different pieces of brass - the 25-20SS can be and usually is a very accurate cartridge and not terrible to make.  The 25-21SS is worth 100 gray hairs harder to make - yet I've found in the right action - just as accurate.  But the 25-25SS was a logarithmic function harder to make (caused loss of the gray hairs by pulling) and I never found its accuracy approaching either of the previous cartridges.   
Split cases became prevalent when I approached the 25-21 loads in the 25-25.  Just as accuracy looked like it might improve.  Attached a photo of a 25-21 that split along with a 25-25 that split.  My notes say it had 18 loadings with the 21 before this incident.  The one next to it on the right - the 25-25 had 3 loadings which became the norm for case splitting. 
Steve, I dabbled in soldering tubing to Hornet cases in the beginning but loads and pressure advice was keep it low - my results were always dismal accuracy - black, duplex, smokeless- nearly a dozen bullet configurations.   

I had some armchair cartridge advisors along with some very knowledgeable experts tell me all about chamber specs, annealing, and processes that would improve results, but you have to be in the mix to fully understand.  I have a couple of rifle builds that I tabled until I have more time for this.   
I may have shared these photos in another post once upon a time.   There's one with a real small sampling of the the carnage, another of the nibbing process I've found that works the best.
I'm hoping maybe you'll go down this path and shed some light?  I'm giving you a nudge... Grin
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 11:35am
Print Post  
GT wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 10:32am:
I'm going to whole-heartedly agree with Bent Ramrod, I went through all the steps to make these different pieces of brass - the 25-20SS can be and usually is a very accurate cartridge and not terrible to make.  The 25-21SS is worth 100 gray hairs harder to make - yet I've found in the right action - just as accurate.  But the 25-25SS was a logarithmic function harder to make (caused loss of the gray hairs by pulling) and I never found its accuracy approaching either of the previous cartridges.  
Split cases became prevalent when I approached the 25-21 loads in the 25-25.  Just as accuracy looked like it might improve.  Attached a photo of a 25-21 that split along with a 25-25 that split.  My notes say it had 18 loadings with the 21 before this incident.  The one next to it on the right - the 25-25 had 3 loadings which became the norm for case splitting. 
Steve, I dabbled in soldering tubing to Hornet cases in the beginning but loads and pressure advice was keep it low - my results were always dismal accuracy - black, duplex, smokeless- nearly a dozen bullet configurations.  

I had some armchair cartridge advisors along with some very knowledgeable experts tell me all about chamber specs, annealing, and processes that would improve results, but you have to be in the mix to fully understand.  I have a couple of rifle builds that I tabled until I have more time for this.  
I may have shared these photos in another post once upon a time.   There's one with a real small sampling of the the carnage, another of the nibbing process I've found that works the best.
I'm hoping maybe you'll go down this path and shed some light?  I'm giving you a nudge... Grin
Greg

Annealing would certainly help. 

The starline basic 223 is like a lot of the Bertram brass, not annealed. It needs to be annealed much farther down the case than just the neck.

What I do with Bertram 28-30 brass is anneal when casting. Temp control is within a few degrees, how ever!off your thermometer is. Time is the trial and error.

I put in a spent primer and coat the outside of the case with Beeswax. It doesn’t hurt to coat the inside, but with the primer in the lead will not enter the case. 

Hold the case in the lead for 12-15 seconds at 750* and dip it down to 1/2” from the base. The air in the case will splash a bit but never had more than say dropping in a cold ladle 

Haven’t lost a Bertram case since

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Another option would be to purchase some turned brass cases. 
If you would like to go down that route I would highly recommend you sending them a chamber cast. 
If not you do run the risk of loosing cases due to improper chamber fit. 
I believe it is or was recommended for one to do so on the Rocky Mountain Cartridge site. 
This I have also learned from experience as I destroyed three 32-40 turned caes in a row with only one shot each. 
When I still had my 25-21 I had several turned cases of the proper fit and I never lost a single one of them during that time.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
It does appear to be just a separated case and once you get it removed it should be just fine is what I tend think.   
Cerrosafe does typically remove it and that would be my first approach. 
Another would be to make a case separation removal tool and very similar to those that Brownells also sells. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #25 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Steve I have been watching that rifle for the past couple of chantilly shows but passed on it because of the chamber and price . I think someone ran a .25-20 wcf chamber reamer into it as it will almost completely close on a .25-20 case. My plan for it if I could have gotten it for a realistic price was to send it to JES and get it rebored to .32-20

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
1Hawkeye wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 12:07pm:
Steve I have been watching that rifle for the past couple of chantilly shows but passed on it because of the chamber and price . I think someone ran a .25-20 wcf chamber reamer into it as it will almost completely close on a .25-20 case. My plan for it if I could have gotten it for a realistic price was to send it to JES and get it rebored to .32-20

I didn't think JES did 30 caliber?
A couple of years ago I requested that and he said he didn't do it ,I hope he changed.

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #27 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Yes Jess does 32-20 with the correct.312" bore he told me he put it on the list because of all the 25-20's with trashed bores. He did have to raise his price this year to 300 or 275 for barreled actions.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Guys - thanks for all your input and thoughts on the matter.  I have no great love for the .25-25. But as part of my #2 Rolling Block research project, I had not come across another one.  I was able to dicker down to a comfortable price, so I got it. I looked at the chamber, but not knowing anything about the .25-25, I didn't recognize that it was not right.  But no matter, it is a very nice rifle and in centerfire too. That is a big plus.

I tried a .258" diameter bullet in the chamber to see if it would slip through the case neck - it does.  This seems to confirm my earlier theory comment that it was put there intentionally to guide the bullet from the shorter .25-20WCF case to the chamber mouth and out the bore. I can't imagine it would be very accurate, but it may be functional.  I'm half tempted to try it, but I don't have any .25-20WCF brass.

The chamber is way too long to just bore it out for a larger cartridge that would be safe in the #2.  The chamber would have to be sleeved. The bore is decent, but not great.  So for the time being it will go in the rack, while I contemplate what to do - if anything.

Thanks Again,

Steve

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
1Hawkeye wrote on Jan 2nd, 2023 at 1:31pm:
Yes Jess does 32-20 with the correct.312" bore he told me he put it on the list because of all the 25-20's with trashed bores. He did have to raise his price this year to 300 or 275 for barreled actions.

I'll call him again, it's still not on.his list via his page updated 10/2022

thx for the info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint