Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) STD Primers/Mag Primers (Read 777 times)
4570mike
Senior Forum Member

STD Primers/Mag Primers
Dec 23rd, 2022 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I was using magnum primers for my loads with BH209, which is non-existent or hyper priced at the moment, and have a decent “stash” of them.  However, I’m now loading more common propellants that typically ignite with standard primers.  Understanding most smokeless loads are reduced in larger BP cases, is there any trepidation using magnum primers instead? 
Mike.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: STD Primers/Mag Primers
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 3:14am
Print Post  
I remember about 20 years ago, a magazine article comparing different brands and types of powder.
Some standard types were more powerful than some magnums. The biggest difference between magnum and standard was the cup thickness on magnums, which is thicker to prevent primer piercing with heavy loads.
Fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 6:34am
Print Post  
I am using large rifle magnum primers in .45acp target loads. No difference in point of impact felt recoil or muzzle flip compared to large pistol. Powder charge 10% less than usual charge of Unique.

Best if I could chronograph it but weather not good for outdoor work. It’s not the best option but have to improvise with the situation we have today. I would NOT primer switch with high velocity/pressure loads. LR Mag in the pistol preserves my supply of Large Pistol for 32/40 & 38/55 loads in CPA rifles. Another primer switch ! 

Boats

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 6:54am
Print Post  
FWIW - I use BH209 in some of my cartridges. At first I used magnum primers, but in time I learned they were not necessary. I got the same, if not better with standard primers.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I often use magnum primers just because I have them, and need to use them up. I do keep rifle magnum for rifle cartridges, and pistol for pistol. But I haven't noticed any issues at all. But my loads aren't hot at all, so I doubt a magnum vs. std. primer would make much difference.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2022 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Lot of guys told me you can’t use Rifle Magnums in 1911 pistols. Slam fires dropping the slide because they are higher, too much pressure etc. Zero slam fires.

I use a EGW cartridge gage drop the loaded round in goes all the way flush it will function. Holds 7 at a time. Take a 6 inch rule drag it over the case heads no hangs or bumps from protruding primers.

Long time standard bullseye load 200 G H&G # 68 Cast SWC 5 grs Unique. Mildest published load. Dropped to 4.5 no issues. You have to do what you have to do. Use common sense and work carefully 

Boats

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2022 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Any thoughts on using REM 91/2 or Fed LR match with 300MP or MP300 (can’t remember which side the MP goes on). I have heard mag primers are preferred. Will use it in 8.15x46r.
Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2022 at 10:52am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Dec 24th, 2022 at 2:24pm:
Lot of guys told me you can’t use Rifle Magnums in 1911 pistols. Slam fires dropping the slide because they are higher, too much pressure etc. Zero slam fires.

I use a EGW cartridge gage drop the loaded round in goes all the way flush it will function. Holds 7 at a time. Take a 6 inch rule drag it over the case heads no hangs or bumps from protruding primers.

Long time standard bullseye load 200 G H&G # 68 Cast SWC 5 grs Unique. Mildest published load. Dropped to 4.5 no issues. You have to do what you have to do. Use common sense and work carefully 

Boats

My bullseye .45 load was as low as I could get it, and still seal the chamber. It required me to buy a very light recoil spring to ensure the gun ejected and cycled rounds well. But once I got the load and the cycling consistent they were a joy to compete with, and gave a real advantage over others with hotter loads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2022 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Yamoon I have also had good success with Federal 210's and CCI large rifle primers with 300MP. The match versions for both of course would also work very well.
I have personally never tried the 91/2 Remingtons.
The Magnum primers are just preferred for my own personal use. 
The MP actually stands for Magnum Pistol. It is also actually labeled as Alliant Power Pro 300-MP and I use 300MP as being short for it.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2022 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I have 8 lbs of 300 I bought a year ago at less than $200 so far unopened.
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2022 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Hopefully it will work as well for you as it has always done for me.
I no longer compete but the last 8lb. container that I opened was my 8th.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint