Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Schutzen Martini (Read 1220 times)
n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Schutzen Martini
Dec 22nd, 2022 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Most I've seen for sale have Engraving.  I bought one as a Plain Jane with a off color receiver.  All the markings as well as screw holes show no signs of being Buffed by Bubba.  Came across another listing with the same finish. Other than the finish mine is in very good condition and has all 3 sights.
Any information as to why they are Plain and Off Colored is appreciated.
David

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Schutzen Martini
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 8:48am
Print Post  
My theory is that all the engravers were killed in WW1!
I have one made in 1908 which is fully engraved and two post WW1 types which are just colour case hardened.
Fred

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Later ones tend not to be engraved.   On the bottom of the barrel you'll find proof-marks and date (month/year) of proof.  Ones made after the war (WW II) were not so likely to end up in US.
CHRIS

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Please tell us more. Any marks other than proofs? Caliber?

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, pull the forend and let us see the proof marks. After WW1 the shooting sports in Germany began to move toward military style rifles and shooting, that being said, I have stalking rifles (hunting style  competition) proofed in the 30s and a full schuetzen proofed in 32. The heyday of the sport was prior to WW1. Now you know everything I know. Maybe some more knowledgeable members will post.
Mike

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
O.K.   I hope these help.  Looks like Wrench Marks on the Barrel and Face of Action in the area of the barrel is Shinny.  Chamber Cast 8.15 x 46R,
1 in 12-5/8 twist.  Boss is giving me the eye, back to work.  David

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Great! So it is in 8.15x46R and it was proofed in 1931. The color of the action looks like what happens when you blue over case hardening.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2022 at 12:09am
Print Post  
David
No retailers name on the barrel? Some pictures of the complete rifle  would be nice, if you get a chance. I’m a sucker for German schuetzen rifles.
Mike

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2022 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
The vast majority of Schützens I own, and have seen, are dated late 1920s and early 1930s. And are case hardened. Engraved ones from that period are pretty rare.

As for military rifles in matches after WWI, only after 1934. After WWI it wa forbidden in Germany to build or sell military rifles. In accordance with the Versailles Treaty. Many Gew98 parts were made into .22 rifles and Wehrmannsgewehrs. Shooting Schützen rifles in the late 1920s until 1934 was very widespread, as folks were recovering from the post-WWI economic misery in Germany. After 1934 most shooting activities were militarized in the Third Reich.  The last Bundesschiessen was in 1934 in Leipzig.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2022 at 8:54pm by JägerWilhelm »  

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2022 at 12:20am
Print Post  
I always thought the attendance at the post WW1 Bundesschiessen was down considerably from their hay day pre WW1, and the elegance and prizes were considerably less.
Mike

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2022 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Mike, I said "shooting Schützen rifles", not Bundesschiessen attendance. The vast majority of Schützen medals I own and have seen (and I just bought a collection of 400+ medals) are from the mid-1920s to the early 1930s) and represent local clubs.

As for the decline in interest, the same thing happened in the US after WWI with the dramatic rise of the NRA and more military type matches. The decline in the German-American Schützen clubs in the US was due to the anti-German hysteria and prohibition.

In Germany the rise of military type matches occurred after 1934. Not WWI as you stated earlier on.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2022 at 8:26am by JägerWilhelm »  

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

condorsc

NRA Life/Benefactor, ASSRA,
SCV Life

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2023 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Sorry to break into your discussion, but here is some material which hopefully will add a little historical light to your discussion and answer some questions I have. I have a #5 RB in 7mm Mauser which bears the block "C" under a crown which indicates manufacture at the Carl Gustafs stads gevarsfaktori (weapons factory) in Sweden. It has been defaced somewhat in an apparent attempt to hide its origin. It bears identical proofmarks under the forearm to those on the rifle pictured. 7mm, 57, and 73 appear under the proofmarks but the year of proof to the right of these marks, and other information, has been ground off. Also a line of stamping under the Block C on the right receiver face and a line of stamping on the left receiver face has been obliterated by light welding. The breech block pin is marked S and the hammer pin bears an H. There is a four-digit batch number on the lower tang. There is no manufacturer's mark  on the upper tang. There is a block H on the front receiver flat under the forearm. Are the proof marks Swedish or German? The bore is pristine and shiny, almost unfired. This 7mm began life with a sliding extractor but has been converted to a rotary and the extractor screw hole filled in. I would much appreciate any accumulated knowledge anyone has, especially why this rifle was defaced. Perhaps the identical proof marks have some bearing? Again, my apologies for breaking into your discussion and thanks for any comments you care to make.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2023 at 1:09am by condorsc »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint