Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Style Re- & Decappers (Read 11214 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pope Style Re- & Decappers
Reply #45 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I also use one myself.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
The Schoyen tool John?

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #47 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 1:31am
Print Post  
This is most likely a one of a kind. It's for a 219 Donaldson Wasp rimmed. From an estate in Modesto, CA of a jacketed bench rest shooter. He was a well accomplished machinist as well as a competitive shooter.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Jerry H   I have a few very similar to the one you show. Mine use the old screw in Lee shellholders with modified threads. Not sure of the maker, but possibly Stu Harvey. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Have shot  alot of years with  Werner Wolf. I have a mold he made.He also made deprimers. It was his powder measure that floored me.For duplex loading. First pull dropped the smokless powder,hit a side lever,second pull dropped the BP. Wish I could of gotten a pic.

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #50 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:14am
Print Post  
This has been a very informative thread.  I plan to condense the various descriptions, histories, pictures, and other information into a short piece I can spread around to all who are interested.

Does anyone have a confirmed example of an original built by Chick?  That would provide a good starting point. 

I’m still deciding what to do with the ones based on Schoyen’s design that had two moving arms.  I can’t decide whether it’s close enough to include or whether the Schoyen (and Petersen) ones deserve their own treatment.   

One thing is sure, the “Pope” style, actually by Chick, is far and away the most popular and widely used at the places I’ve shot.  The ones with just one moving arm work perfectly well, but for whatever reason don’t seem to be as widely used.  If I’d never heard of Jake Simmons I would be perfect happy with the single arm style that Dave Arawinko made, but whatever you get used to first is difficult to let go.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #51 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Wish I’d gotten to know Werner Wolf, Shalkaho.  I only met him briefly @ Etna Green once IIRC, and was so new to the game I didn’t know to take advantage of the opportunity.  I’m mostly familiar with his re- and de- offerings and found them to be top drawer.  Maybe we ought to start a separate thread to just discuss his work.  I know I’d read it enthusiastically! Smiley

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 10:24am
Print Post  
modern ,brass ,usee rcbs holders and works well.S&S had a bunch of priming tools from an estate and there were several af these.i let a buddy have it that was de-re deprived and he loves it.It was in my 7.5 Martini breech seat kit.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2022 at 10:59am by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #53 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 11:20am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:23pm:
I must apologize, and give credit to Green_Frog for pointing out that it is the upper left in Rodney's photograph that is most like a Schoyen, not the right. Glad I wasn't driving.

Makes more sense. The upper left is the style most commonly linked to Schoyen, or Schoyen-Peterson.
The tool in Dutcher's book does have curved handles, but I haven't seen curved handles on any of the most common style Schoyen tools like the upper left tool pictured.
Werner Wolf made his tools copying Schoyen's design. And there were at least a couple other guys making Schoyen copies.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #54 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Dec 22nd, 2022 at 10:24am:
modern ,brass ,usee rcbs holders and works well.S&S had a bunch of priming tools from an estate and there were several af these.i let a buddy have it that was de-re deprived and he loves it.It was in my 7.5 Martini breech seat kit.

George, your tool looks very similar to the other Schoyen tool, except for the ring on fixed side where Schoyen's had a fixed lever arm instead. That's a very neat tool!

Charlie,
This is indeed a great thread, and I am enjoying seeing all the variety of tools here. I personally would like to see all of this info in one place, and include every type of re-de-priming tool (modern or original) included in one resource.

I've got two Schoyen style tools that are built by Wolf and an unknown maker. I'll get pictures of both and add them also.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
As I mentioned, John Dutcher wrote articles on de-recappers for the News in 3 three installments. Not sure of the date for the first, second 11/12 1983 and third, 3/4 1984. A good place to start, but not necessarily for modern copies, or recent designs. I will attempt to dig up the date for the first installment. in a box somewhere? I even have an index, probably in the same box!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Unless I missed it I did not see a Darr or an Otto Bremmer.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
CBA, a really like those last two you posted. They are elegant. Frankly, he says ducking, "Pope" re and de look like they belong next to a bowl of walnuts. Here's a Po (that's a poor boy's Pope) tool made by one of our members that has served me well with my 32-40. Not elegant but very well made and highly efficient and small and light enough to slip in a shirt pocket. By the way, my most used decapper is an old 310 tool I use during BPCR matches to decap before drowning my fired cases in a jug of dishwasher soap before leaving the range. With no changes it handles 38-50, 40-60 Maynard, 40-65 and 45-70;-).
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2022 at 12:33pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #58 - Dec 23rd, 2022 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Here's my WH Wolf marked Schoyen style:

And another Schoyen copy by an unknown maker. It has a primer pocket cleaner added to the bottom of the body:

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Dec 23rd, 2022 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
To not be totally ethnocentric, here is a European re and de we'll call a Poer. It is for Berdan primers and you can see it is marked 8mm. I picked this up long before I had a need for it and was only reminded I had it when the need arose to reload some Berdan primed 8.15x46R. It turned out that apparently that is what it was designed for. The lower handle has a head diameter hole with a rim sized recess. The rotating plate attached to one of the screws comes into play for depriming. The middle handle has a circular protrusion that has a hole that the primer chisel comes through and the protrusion is of a proper diameter to seat a primer with pressure only on its edges when the two lower handles are closed. The top handle only comes into play to activate the primer chisel. Once the chisel has been inserted into the primer, the top two levers are held together and the primer is lifted from the case which is held in place by the rotating plate with the lower handle being in the other hand. Sounds complicated but is easy in use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint