Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Style Re- & Decappers (Read 11188 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Pope Style Re- & Decappers
Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 9:23am
Print Post  
That’s a new one for me Spud.  Somebody really thought it out very well.  If it works well as designed it could be extremely useful… a “complete” re- and decapper set in a relatively small package. I like it!

Froggie

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Here's one that the late Doug Knoell made for me (he let me help).  I suspect that there are a few of these floating around the San Diego area.  Maybe quite a few.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
jfeldman wrote on Dec 19th, 2022 at 2:45pm:
Here's one that the late Doug Knoell made for me (he let me help).  I suspect that there are a few of these floating around the San Diego area.  Maybe quite a few.

Regards,
Joe

That's a copy of the Schoyen re-decapper tool.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #33 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Here's the old tool from the shooting kit I bought. Notice the decapping rod is reversed from all the other tools we see.

And here's the old powder measure from the same kit. The adjusting rod is hardwood, not steel or brass!:

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #34 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
If nothing else, this thread illustrates how often, and often quite ingeniously, single-shot shooters are drawn to make their own versions of tools and accessories that they admire.  To paraphrase the quote most often attributed to Peter Pan, "Oh, the cleverness of us!"

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #35 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Vall, that definitely doesn’t look homemade. The complexity of the body makes me think it must have been from made from a casting. Is it shorter than we’re used to seeing or are all of the components very fat?  No one would mistake it for one of the later ones, that’s for sure!  If someone were to claim it was a Chicks made tool, I’d believe them. Wink
Froggie

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Dec 20th, 2022 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Here’s my contribution a couple of tools that I picked up over the years.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 12:20am
Print Post  
The tool on the upper right in the second photo is a much better "copy"of a Schoyen tool, than the Doug Knoell tool, sans the acorn finial on the handles. I have a 38 Schoyen tool, and have had and observed many more, and they all were almost identical except for the size of the decapping rod and appropriate shell holder head. Very good tool, and mine has held up to 40 years of use. lubricated!!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #38 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Tool on upper right looks like a Simmons to me.   The top left looks Schoyen-esque  to me. I do wonder why the one on top row in middle has such a long body/neck? 
The one on the bottom left looks like it picks up some extra strength/leverage from all that extra metal, but one has to wonder whether it is all needed.  I’m also wondering about all the brass used in the example of the bottom right. 
This has turned into a very informative thread.  I’d like to steer it to what is currently available… I know about the Poole/Cleave offering.  Are there any other current offerings out there?  Let’s stick with the Chicks/Pope style design only for purposes of this discussion, please.   
Froggie

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 10:33am
Print Post  
The bottom left tool he got from me (iirc)and I have no clue who made it but it is modern taking lee autoprime holders and works well.the linkage provides no extra leverage that I found .

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Schoyen-Peterson made several different variations of re-decapping tools. But the one that is closest to the Chick, or other copies only had one pivoting handle. The 2nd handle was fixed position, and did not pivot off the main body. There's a picture of that version in John Dutcher's book on p.351. The pivoting handle mounts halfway up the body and is longer than the fixed side so they are close to equal length. And the ends of the handles are tapered to a point.
Schoyen didn't just make one type of tool his entire time of making guns and loading tools.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Dec 20th, 2022 at 8:03pm:
Vall, that definitely doesn’t look homemade. The complexity of the body makes me think it must have been from made from a casting. Is it shorter than we’re used to seeing or are all of the components very fat?  No one would mistake it for one of the later ones, that’s for sure!  If someone were to claim it was a Chicks made tool, I’d believe them. Wink
Froggie

That tool is about the same size as all the most common tools, but as you surmised it's a little fatter in the arms and body.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy.  I didn't suggest that there was only one Schoyen re-decapping tool, only referencing the Knoell tool and the tool in Rodney's photograph. The best reference for re and decapping tools was penned by John Dutcher, and appeared in the pages of our journal, if memory serves. And yes, there were other variations of the tool you mention and others, in John's book and in his article. The one you mention in John's book is different, in that others I have seen had a curved handle. There were a number of casting for the curved handle tool floating around the Denver area years ago. It would be worthwhile to dig up John's article if you are interested.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Val, if I may, mention that the most common of the Schoyen tools had both handles move simultaneously, similar to the Chick/Pope tool, not as the tool illustrated in John's book which has, as you mention, one static arm/handle.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I must apologize, and give credit to Green_Frog for pointing out that it is the upper left in Rodney's photograph that is most like a Schoyen, not the right. Glad I wasn't driving.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint