Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Style Re- & Decappers (Read 11182 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Pope Style Re- & Decappers
Dec 6th, 2022 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Probably the best known style of re- and decapper is that attributed to Harry Pope (but actually probably originally made by Chick Martines of CA).  Probably Jerry Simmons made the most of the modern ones, but I've seen similar tools attributed to Pete Allen and Steve Meacham (like the one that just sold in the For Sale section here) as well as the very similar Poole Tool now being produced by Jerry Cleave.   

The questions before the board now stand, what else do we know about this style of tool?  Were any others known to have been produced in the time of Martines and Pope?  Any before Simmons hit the scene?  Are any being made now other than Cleave's?

There have been several other styles of re- and decappers over the years, some quite good and others not so much, but let's keep this thread on track (yeah, rightRoll Eyes) with this one style of re- & de-.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Pope Style Re- & Decappers
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2022 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Jerry Cleave and I were just talking about this yesterday, and his uncle Charlie made and sold over 300 of these tools in about 18 yrs. Jerry is at close to 50 already in about 1/4th of his uncles years.
I know of those you've mentioned, but not others? The big problem is that Charlie marked his, as does Jerry Cleave, but the others didn't. So with design being identical for so many, there's no way to tell who built what? I've got a half dozen of these tools, and only Jerry's are marked. The others all look identical, except for one that doesn't have straight slot screws, and has black button head Allen screws. But all of them (besides Jerry's) take the same thread shell holders too!

Of course we also know none of them (including Pope-Stevens) were truly Pope's design. The patent was issued to the actual inventor, whose name slips my mind? Chick something I think?

PS-Jerry's grandson is learning from him, and has made a couple I believe. So hopefully he'll be carrying the torch in the future.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2022 at 6:08pm by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2022 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
The Meacham sold in the FS section below is a great unit, and using common shell holders it's a little versatile. But it still needs large and small primer rods, and different decapping rods to handle various case mouth sizes. So if you have a Meacham you still need more. I've got a Meacham with several decapping rod sizes, and both priming rod sizes.
I prefer Jerry Cleave's design because it uses one rod, and my Cleave tool uses sleeves to make it fit different case neck diameters. So just changing the shell holder, and then removing the decapping nut to slide a different sleeve over the rod makes changes very quick, and easier!

His screws for the arms are also recessed instead of sticking above the pivot points, and the finish is highly polished. Really just a step above everyone else's I've seen or own. Each serial numbered, and marked with his name. Pretty darn classy tools!

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2022 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Left to right;
C.S. Pool #34
G.A. Cleave #16
J.A. Cleave #1

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2022 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
A lot of work goes into making these re-decappers.   

Even if the parts were cast first , they still need to be machined to a certain degree and a finish put on um. 

We are lucky have people who put so much work toward our sport.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Vall, did you mistype when you mentioned Charlie?  If you are talking about C Dell, AFAIK he always used those from Jerry (“Jake”) Simmons.  I have 3 of his, and as you would expect they resemble the original Pope and the Poole and Cleave versions at least at first glance. I have never seen an original Pope unit with interchangeable heads, and the Simmons units came with primer pocket scrapers on the ends of the handles.  I’ve heard a lot about the Allen unit but never actually seen one.  Supposedly it was very close to the Simmons, and in fact Pete may have made some of the later body castings for Jake. 

I think the original designer was Chick Martines, perhaps from San Francisco which was a hotbed of Schuetzen back then. I’ve only seen oblique references to this so I may be completely off.

BTW, back to the Simmons version, I used to sit on the tailgate of Jake’s old pickup at Etna Green and “solve the world’s problems”. Over the years I bought all of the shell holders and decap rods I’m likely to ever want or need except for the 32-20 WCF and 25-20 SS
shell holders. I’d jump on those in a second!

Keep that information coming folks.  Unshared knowledge dies with us!

Regards,
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 10:03am
Print Post  
A funny aside:  When I first went to EG I carried my shooting stuff in a battered old oak Gerstner machinist’s chest. One of the smallest drawers was just the right size, so I cut and fitted a cardboard liner to hold a Simmons tool and a selection of shell holders and decapping rods along with the Allen wrench to change them. Jake used to tease me about being so OCD about what was, after all, just a tool!  I sure miss that guy!  Kiss
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 11:09am
Print Post  
No, I did not mistype that I know of? I believe Jerry's uncle, C.S. Pool was Charlie.

I keep my Jerry Cleave tool and the various pieces in a velvet lined case I found at an antique shop. They jewelry I can enjoy and use, but I like having a box fitting of the quality.

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2022 at 11:18am by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
C.S. Pool (Charles Pool) was Jerry Cleave's great-uncle, but he always refers to him as Uncle Charlie.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2022 at 3:32pm by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Chick Martinez was from San Diego I believe, and held a patent for his tool, and would presume gave or sold the rights to Pope.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 9:31am
Print Post  
RCBS and Lyman die boxes work great!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 9:45am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 7th, 2022 at 11:09am:
No, I did not mistype that I know of? I believe Jerry's uncle, C.S. Pool was Charlie.

I keep my Jerry Cleave tool and the various pieces in a velvet lined case I found at an antique shop. They jewelry I can enjoy and use, but I like having a box fitting of the quality.

Mea culpa, Vall. When I see the name Charlie in the midst of a discussion of the Golden Years of ASSRA, I default to Charlie Dell.   Cheesy

Speaking of the tools Charlie Poole made, didn’t he also make some sort of self contained portable loading tool?  I seem to recall (with my admittedly sketchy memory) discussing such an item at an ASSRA booth at an NRA meeting a couple of decades ago.  Huh

A problem with the Internet is that we read about something half a country away or more, and although it seems intimately familiar, we can’t actually see or possess one readily.  Undecided

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 9:53am
Print Post  
As for current practice on storage/display, I now use a small, flat, wooden cigar box that holds two Simmons tools and a mess of shell heads and decapping rods, but now I have one more separate item to keep up with.  Sad

I kinda miss the days when I carried my whole “kit” in that single Gerstner machinist’s chest.  So much simpler!  Cool  If I can fulfill my goal of attending the Spring Nationals @ Beeson’s I guess I’ll have to look into returning to more efficient packing.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I'm fairly certain Charlie Pool made breech seating tools, but I'd have to ask Jerry if he made any portable loading tools? Seems I recall he may have made some benchrest tools designed to simply seat a bullet similar to the old Ballard bullet seating tools?

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Who makes replacement heads for these tools?  Picked several of them and would like a few different heads for the ones i am going to keep.
Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint