Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic what now? part two (Read 509 times)
Kyle B

what now? part two
Nov 28th, 2022 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I  recieved my RMC brass and it looked great. Went to drop a case in the chamber of my rifle before reloading and found it wouldn't go in. The brass was not oversized. I took a 22 lr and it fit perfectly. Shot just fine too. I looked at the muzzle and could not see the outline of the sleeve at first but after a while I found it. After a year of  hunting down the brass,bullets and dies for a 22-15 I now lack the rifle to shoot it in. At first I thought of having it bored out for a 25-20 but now think I'll just leave it as it is. I should have looked closely at the bolt face as it is not hard to see where the original firing pin hole had been filled in.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Re: what now? part two
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Are you saying it's marked as being a .22-15 but in reality it's a .22LR, that someone lined and converted the firing pin to rimfire?

If so, my first thought was to re-convert back to CF and cut a .22-15 chamber. But then I thought of the .22RF bore dimensions/twist and wondered if that was viable.

I have a Stevens 44 chambered in .22WCF and marked as such, in a lined .22RF barrel. I suspect they simply used a .22 Hornet reamer. No problem, Hornet dies and appropriately sized cast bullets make the rifle sing (with very reduced loads out of respect for a 44 action). 

Perhaps a way to salvage the situation would be to go that route and create an ersatz .22WCF, and peddle the .22-15 components to finance it?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: what now? part two
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 9:31am
Print Post  
The RMC brass I got from them (two batches at two widely separated times) fit my 044-1/2 identically well.  Have you just been going by the barrel markings all this time? A look into the barrel from the breech should have shown you the length of the chamber.

The groove diameter of my .22-15 Stevens is 0.226”.  If you’re going to reverse-engineer a relined, rechambered and relocated .22RF back to the original caliber, you have a fair amount of work to do.

If you find yourself wanting to unload that RMC brass, please get in touch via PM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint