Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Practice makes perfect (Read 2152 times)
MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Practice makes perfect
Jul 11th, 2022 at 2:53am
Print Post  
- or there is no substitute for trigger time.

Due to range changes and other factors, it has been a while since I shot at 300 meters with my 45-70 BP rifle.  Finally, I was able yesterday to shoot the rifle again at 300, for the 1st time this year...

This is my very 1st BP match rifle, a Greener GP martini action with a Ron Snover segmental rifling barrel 1:18 twist.
The load is pretty standard, 74grs of 1 1/2Fg Swiss with a card overpowder wad and a 520gr .460 CBE RN GG bullet 16:1 alloy on top  of it, my own bullet lube.

I shoot this rifle in competition, which means prone, unsupported, with (2-point) sling.  I brought 20 rounds for practice, and yes,  those 1st 10 rounds were pretty 'humbling' - I was barely able to hold the black at 1st.

The next 10 shots became gradually better, I was able to dial in the sights perfectly, up to the point that I was able to put the last 5 shots in the 9 ring - 3 10's, 2 9's. The 9-ring is about 3 MOA, so the load was certainly not to blame. But if I were to go to a match without some prior practice, things would have been pretty sorry.

Bottom line?  You can do whatever you want in load development, alloy changes, neck tension, primer and powder selection, seating depth, whatever....
But if your shooting isn't at the level where it should be, it serves no useful purpose.  That perfect trigger break is the 1st and foremost requirement, and if that isn't present, all the rest doesn't serve anything useful.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Practice makes perfect
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2022 at 8:38am
Print Post  
good to hear from you gert   you are 100% correct  i always shoot 20 rounds the week of a match just to wake up the muscle memory   art

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I would practice all day long the day before a competition on the range I was competing on.

Both myself and my rifles were fine tuned for that range's conditions at the start of the competition.

Competitions are frequently won by a single point over two or three days of shooting so you and your rifle need to be fine tuned to win that extra point.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian you are 100% correct. 
One has to be constantly out working on wind and mirage reading skills. Continually improving on ones muscle memory, comfort, concentration and self confidence. 
Back in the day I would be out once a week and often times twice and I would do this all year long. 
It also depends on just what ones own personal intent and goals are and  just how successful they actually want to eventually reach.
It also takes a self dedication and sacrifices to get to that point and to also be able to remain there for years on end.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Ken you too are also absolutely right !!

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 9:25am
Print Post  
I believe this is also what Frank Monikowski once said - make sure you master the basics 1st, then you can go to gradual technical improvements.
But if you don't master those basics, it will be hard to see the real results of any changes done.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2022 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian so true and if not load development can become very meaning less.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 11:18am
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:06pm:
OH The mind game is where it's at.
Ken Lewis

I have a friend who's a free diver. He can get down below 100 ft with nothing more than a mask, snorkel and flippers and swim around. 

He pointed out that when the brain is thinking it can use up to 20% of the body's oxygen.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Smoke that is actually quite amazing and in the past I have also watched some of those free dive competitions as I do enjoy watching it quite allot.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
John, are you talking about those diving competitions off of cliffs in Acapulco? 

The kind of free diving my friend does is like scuba diving but without tanks. 

Watching it would be like watching submarine races but without the companionship required for the latter. Smiley

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Smoke what I have actually watched was free diving while also following a rope down towards the bottom and the winner was solely based on who made it to the deepest depth while also taking but one deep breath. Some of those folks could actually hold their breath for 3 minutes +. 

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I would like to offer my two cents on this subject. Years ago Frank Zika said to me: " Rifle shooting is all luck, but the more you practice the luckier you get."

I would like to add a few points to that. As has been said already, most of this sport, like anything else, is in your head. When you practice, you have to practice with a purpose, not just go out and blast.
When the first ammo shortage hit in about 2012, I decided to change my practice routine. Instead of shooting 50 or 100 or more shots in a session, I limited myself to 25 shots per shooting session. I had a healthy supply of ammo and components but no idea how long the shortage would last. I was concerned that cutting back my trigger time would adversely affect my scores. Well, it turns out it did NOT adversely affect my scores. I am able to shoot 3-5 times a week, so I have been able to practice almost on a daily basis, but still limited to 25 shots per day,(usually). I decided that to make it effective, each practice session had to be executed with the same intensity and concentration that one would employ in a match. I ignore everything around me and "pretend" that I am at a match shooting for score.( I shoot 25 shots because you get two sessions out of a box of 50 cartridges). 
If I shoot a ten I decide that I need to dig myself out of that hole and concentrate even harder. I  score every target. Looking at a target and saying "thats not too bad, I got a couple centers" is not the way matches are scored and there's no sense in doing that in practice. I either add up the score and divide by 25 to get the average score per shot then multiply by 20 to get the comparable score at a match, or calculate the score by adding up the plusses and minuses over and above 20 for each shot. For example, a score of 22 is two over 20 so that is 2 over. I nineteen is one under 20 so thats one under for a net of one over. Doing some quick and simple math will tell you in a hurry if you hit 400 or not, which is my goal. You can set any goal you want, of course. When you are done you will know exactly what your score was and either feel good about it or realize that you need to do better. Not keeping score leads to sugar coating the results which means you really dont know where you are at. 
I am running out of my 2500 characters, to be continued Joe S

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Continued from above:
When you get to the match, the stress of being in actual competition is still there but you are somewhat accustomed to it from your self imposed practice discipline. You have a good idea of what you are capable of. If you shoot up to your capabilities you can feel satisfied that you did your best. After all, we are competing against ourselves, right? If you shoot a higher score than usual, so much the better. If you have a bad day, you enjoy the experience and give it your best shot the next day and come back next year. The idea is to increase your capabilities, find a way to shoot within your capabilities at the match, and hopefully do a little better each year. Eventually, the day will come when poor eyesight and a variety of other infirmities of old age will result in a downward trend, but that's life. 
Do the best you can  no matter which side of the curve you are on and enjoy the ride!
Joe S.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Joe_S wrote on Jul 22nd, 2022 at 9:19pm:
Continued from above:
When you get to the match, the stress of being in actual competition is still there but you are somewhat accustomed to it from your self imposed practice discipline. You have a good idea of what you are capable of. If you shoot up to your capabilities you can feel satisfied that you did your best. After all, we are competing against ourselves, right? If you shoot a higher score than usual, so much the better. If you have a bad day, you enjoy the experience and give it your best shot the next day and come back next year. The idea is to increase your capabilities, find a way to shoot within your capabilities at the match, and hopefully do a little better each year. Eventually, the day will come when poor eyesight and a variety of other infirmities of old age will result in a downward trend, but that's life. 
Do the best you can  no matter which side of the curve you are on and enjoy the ride!
Joe S.

This ^^^ sums it up very well.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

aero
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Practice with a plan. Set attainable goals and shoot for them, literally

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I set up a 10M air gun range in my basement, bought a good quality air rifle. -30, snowing, blowing or + 90 deg. summer,  I can go downstairs in my slippers and shoot. Discipline is exactly the same (and there are some superbly accurate air guns).
There's still a place for outdoor centerfire match practice but not nearly as often.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint