Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whitworth Match Rifle (Read 2999 times)
TRowe

Re: Whitworth Match Rifle
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Next question. Do you still make them? And how much? nice piece of work

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
In case anyone is looking for a 45 caliber hexagonal mould, Pedersoli has them on sale: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Tom, are you hoping to get a 50 caliber one?

IP Logged

Gibbs
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Tom,

Sorry, not making these anymore.
Do not have access to the necessary machines anymore. Sad Sad

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2022 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Tom, yes the PH Whitworth shot cylindrical bullets very well too. I remember that I had to cast them a bit softer than the hex pp. Here's a photo of a selection of the projectiles used. Two types of hex, the round nose version was a tight fit to the bore with the pp version slightly under bore specs to allow for the paper wrap. The bore had to be very clean for these projectiles to work. If BP residue was not removed between shots it was REALLY difficult to seat these bullets down on the powder charge.
As an aside, Whitworth rifling was also used by Westley Richards in many of their breechloaders, though it was octagonal (8 sided). I have a WR Monkey Tail capping breech loading match rifle that is so marked on the barrel. These rifles were used with cylindrical projectiles only and proved to be very accurate. 

Gibbs, thanks very much for the info about making hex moulds, I did not expect to see a copper bullet cherry Shocked.
Spud   

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2022 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Pete Didn't know you were into Whitworth's also. Am puttering around with a book on Whitworth's but have to get Stevens Pope done first. Do I, or the late Bill Curtis have the numbers and data of your rifles? I am not planning—yet—on shooting the .50. Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint