Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hairtrigger 2 Coyotes w/a .17 HeBee Stev’s 44 1/2 (Read 1218 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Hairtrigger 2 Coyotes w/a .17 HeBee Stev’s 44 1/2
Feb 10th, 2022 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
   This was my first “ double” on coyotes circa 1995 in Jackson Twp., Will Co, IL. a 20 grn. Hornady V-Max. @ 3900 fps did the job on both @ around 100 yds.

IP Logged

John Robert
Participating Member

Re: Hairtrigger 2 Coyotes w/a .17 HeBee Stev’s 44 1/2
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2022 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
What time of the year was it , did you call them in , how were they lined up for the shot , have you had any more doubles since? Did the bullet exit the second coyote? Nice looking rifle do you still have it ?  Enjoyed seeing the picture , thanks for posting it.

IP Logged

hairtrigger
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Can’t remember time of year except it wasn’t winter.those two weren’t called in I was moving. Slowly along the out  side of one tree line that intersected with another tree line .there was a break in my line that I stopped to look through & caught these two ,one sitting & one laying on their field edge along their tree line .They had no idea I was there & luckily a clear shot . I popped the one sitting & the other one disappeared @ the sound of the shot ,they were only 10 or 15’ ft from heavy cover @ the field edge.
   I had guessed  them about 100 yds. + or - no tough shot .  Then while I was trying to get a fix on how far I was going to have to walk to find # 1 damned if #2 didn’t come back out in the clear to figure out what happened to her buddy. (Big mistake !) Shot her & then when I got to them they weren’t 15’ apart and I don’t think  either one 
Took a step when shot.  I did get one other double a few years w/ the same cart. .17 HeBee on a Rem-Hep. W/ the 20 grn. Horn. V- max. I missed several other chances when calling when I couldn’t get a good chance on # 2.
   I’ve had people tell me that a 20 grn. Bullet is to light for coyotes & my reply has always been if they stand still and let me make a good shot theiir usual
reaction is to fall over. The only ones I’ve ever lost were running shots as I found I’m not a really good tracker.
   So my solution was just to not try them anymore.
That little Sevens has prob. Taken about 20 over the past 20 years ,more than my other S.S. rifles combined !
Dennis H.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Very nice ! Our big hunt is next weekend. Around 200 people register for the hunt. Mostly hunting over bait with the full moon…..makes for long cold nights in the blind. Looking at -16 tonight.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
SBoomer what will you be hunting ? I might have missed it?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2022 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Good shooting.  You too often see them about blown in half with a hi velocity rifle like yours.

I just got delivery of an original Borchardt rebarreled and stocked in 6.5x57R.  I have a large cache of 6.5mm Berger varmint/target bullets.  I intend to find out how far I can hit Rockchucks and a few coyotes this spring.

Rich

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2022 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Our hunt is a predator hunt, coyotes, fox and cats. 6 years ago 60 some dogs were registered. The wolves moved into my area today so the other predators keep a low profile or move out. The wolves are usually here for 2-3 days so I may luck out this year and have them somewhere else by the weekend.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint