Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hairtrigger #18 (Read 1178 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Hairtrigger #18
Jan 27th, 2022 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
   It’s taken me 20+ years since 2000 to purposely cut back my single shot collection by half but I’ve managed to keep several nice originals & this is one of those.
   All the known history: I got  it from a dealer who bought it as a “walk-in“ @ a New England gun show. So no previous history prior to 1995. It was accompanied by the Schoyen false muzzle, correct Schoyen point cut off mold, starter, mold, palm rest and loading rod.
    The barrel is 28” #4 wt. full oct. .32/40, w/ an exc. bore. The receiver is plain w/ about 60% faded case colors. Weighs in @ 141/2 ibs.w/ scope. I’ve always considered it one of my favorite “shooters”.
    The Geo. Schoyen shop in Denver, Colo. employed an English trained stock maker Henry Simmons who did all the stock work on the best guns that came out of that 
shop & this gun has Simmons wood easily identified by the guality, lines & his English pattern checkering.
   This rifle has that feel that although showing some shooting wear it, has also been well cared for through the years & makes you really wonder who that original owner was!
  Shown also w/ the rifle here are some appropriate period tools, a Stevs.-Pope re. & de capper, an early Ideal 185 grn. Mold, an Ideal breech seater and an Ideal “Tong Tool”, w/ some early bullets & primers. Almost a “Shooting Kit”!
   Note: This rifle action has that Ballard “ Mystery Lever”.
In some 50+ years I have seen or verified perhaps 6 or 8 Ballards w/ this pattern lever & have yet to find anyone who can put a name on it. Who designed or mfg. it? Sad because that man deserves some credit as his lever is always admired esthetically & for offhand functionality.
   My current plan for this rifle is to keep shooting it for as long as I’m able. At 80+ I still never tire of shooting, I just get tired from shooting! Then I guess I’ll just hang it up on the wall where I can sit & contemplate it with an adult beverage in hand and reminisce those good old days.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: Hairtrigger #18
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Very nice!

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

r3727
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2022 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Awesome Single Shot

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2022 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Great find 27 years ago! Putting together all the scarce accessories is an accomplishment all by itself. And having the false muzzle still with the rifle and not lost to history tops it all off for a super neat rifle.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Hi-Wall56

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2022 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
We don't really own them, we are just caretakers for a period of time.
Enjoy your stewardship.

IP Logged

StrongFowl

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 9:20am
Print Post  
  The enjoyment each individual derives from our love of guns can come from many angles. Most love to shoot but many get as much enjoyment from the hunt for certain  guns or parts/accessories for a particular gun, while others enjoy their disassembly/reassembly.
Some enjoy researching the history that at times seems to be never ending on certain firearms. Finding a favorite firearm in a movie can be exciting & most certainly the fellowship and camaraderie among fellow gun enthusiasts is one of the greatest perks.
   Thanks for sharing  as the  thoughts of people   
with vast experience are one of life’s greatest assets.
                 Have a blessed day
                          -StrongFowl- Cool

“An army of asses led by a lion,
         is better than
  an army of lions led by an ass”

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2022 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing your collection with us.   
Every rifle has been amazing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint