Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hairtrigger #10 A “fancy” Stevs. 44 1/2 Schuetzen (Read 654 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Hairtrigger #10 A “fancy” Stevs. 44 1/2 Schuetzen
Jan 7th, 2022 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
In 1988 I bought this Stevs.@ an Ohio gun show. It was essentially a Mod 47 barreled action as the crappy homemade stocks were destined for the scrap barrel. However all the metal was great & unmolested w/ the action showing easily 98% original case colors & sporting the late style “kicker” extractor and exc.D.S.triggers. The barrel was a factory Stevs. #4 wt.full oct.30” that had been re- lined w/ a Parker Hale .22 rf w/ a match chamber all in exc.condition. That being enough to deem it a worthwhile project.That started by restocking it with “brag” wood that I had CPA machine to the Stevens-Pope Special pattern I’d always admired, & added one of their Ball & Spur levers too.
    Although I had no plans to fit a 2nd  barrel, after only a couple of months of enjoying the .22rf I had the opportunity to acquire a second 441/2 Stevs. barrel that was of the same exterior dimensions as the first one. This barrel had been drilled for a liner which had never been fitted. I bought this one along with a extra c.f. breech block from the same source. (It was sure easier to find parts 30+ years ago!) I could now have a switch barrel rifle with both barrels of the same exterior size meaning I could get away with only one forearm required!
     That was when a .25 cal. (otherwise known as a 1/4 bore) was what I needed so I had the old master Bob “Red” Scherer make me a couple of cut-rifled .257, 1:12” liners, one of which I fitted up in the #2 barrel of the Stevs. here, chambered for the.25-21 Stevs. cartridge. Then I got a bit carried away & made a false muzzle for the barrel. (Mainly just to see if I could) & mllled the cuts for a set of Dave Arawinko’s repo Pope scope mounts too.
   It all worked out just fine w/ both barrels winning a few matches over the past 34 years. Don’t know if I’d do it much different today (except I’m no longer very left-handed) & I’m still going to get it checkered too. I just didn’t want to rush into anything.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Hairtrigger #10 A “fancy” Stevs. 44 1/2 Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2022 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Now that is just a pretty cool history and process you went through to make another gorgeous rifle. Still have probably a half dozen rifles I still need to checker, no hurry here either!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint