Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger Number One 25-35 Winchester (Read 3207 times)
rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger Number One 25-35 Winchester
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I must add, that it is my understanding Ruger rifles shoot more accuratly since manufacturing their own barrels, rather than outsourcing them.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
The earlier #1's actually used Douglas Barrels and now they are Hammer Forged and not by any means as good. They all also had very exceptional wood and they had allot of figure. As well as also being hand checkered in house. They are now just basically hunting rifles and they are probably more than good enough for that type of use. But they probably are not as good for long range Varmint use as they once were and surely not up to extremely competitive use anymore.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
My early 6MM #1B was extremely accurate once I found the right load combination for it. The only thing that I had to do with it was to just do a Trigger job and an adjustable forearm pressure screw for additional tuning that in all honesty was probably not even needed. The wood was also very exceptional and it had allot of figure. I once did a #3 with a Shilen Barrel in 32-40 for competitive use. I used Merrill Martin's approach for bedding the forearm that he had great success with at the Coors Match but I can't now seem to find that very informative article on how he went about it. I also added the speed lock hammer and spring and it was very capable of shooting 250's.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The barrels were outsourced from many makers, Douglas being only one, and for a very short time. Basicaly a crap shoot, hence my suggestion to rebarrel from a good source, of which there are many.  Yes, the new are hammer forged, but that doesn't mean they won't or don't shoot better than say Williams barrels, which Ruger used for some time. It all boils down to intended use. At ranges large game should be shot, even the older were adequate. For small targets, more accuracy is best. The Ruger No1 was never intended for competitive use from the factory. There are always exceptions, and there are a multitude of improvements that can be made to enhance their capability for that use, but trying to get a poor barrel to shoot is an exercise in frustration.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jan 17th, 2022 at 3:07pm:
I must add, that it is my understanding Ruger rifles shoot more accuratly since manufacturing their own barrels, rather than outsourcing them.

My recent 8" twist 223 varmint No.1 was very accurate (once I got the right barrel). Sold to me marked 8" but was actually 9" and had to send it back for the right barrel. Ruger did not argue and only took a couple of weeks to turn around.
Deadeye Bly recently purchased a new Ruger M77 with a bad 280AI barrel. Same thing. Sent back and new barrel is a good one.
Ruger is very capable when they want to be. But, think they've gotten too big.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 1:16am
Print Post  
BIG, is not always a good thing!! Which is just one of the reasons there are good barrel makers, making good barrels.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Good to hear that Ruger is taking care of their customers when they should.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Rollerguy, thanks for the trip down memory lane. In 1958 I was in the Navy and was going to school in Norman, Oklahoma and made a number of pilgrimages to Mashburn arms. I don’t remember if I met Mr. Mashburn but did find a nice 8mm Mashburn Magnum for my dad. I also had an early Ruger .44 flat top I bought in 1962 with a 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 inch barrel...at 83 my memory is just that, a memory. I also had a Ruger SS in 7mm mag. Bought it as a barreled action. Your Ruger is a real tack driver in an interesting caliber. So many guns so little time.
Welcome to the forum, the folks here are a wealth of knowledge.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

TRowe

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2022 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I have a Winchester Hi-wall Laudensak Schuetzen takedown in .25-35. It is the only Hi-wall Sch. I have ever heard of in that caliber. Have not got around to shooting it yet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint