Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ruger Number One 25-35 Winchester (Read 3199 times)
RollerGuy
Participating Member

Ruger Number One 25-35 Winchester
Jan 5th, 2022 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm new to the forum, but not to shooting and reloading. I'm 78 and began hunting in the late nineteen-fifties. Reloading started soon after purchasing a Ruger .41 magnum Blackhawk in 1967. I still have the pistol in original condition. 

I'm going to lead off in the forum with a Ruger Number One I purchased in the mid-seventies from Mashburn Arms in OKC. I met and visited with Art Mashburn several years earlier when his shop was still in downtown Oklahoma City. Not much transpired between a naive twenty-year old and an old gun-pro who were strangers to each other, but at least, I did meet him before he became history. 

The Ruger No. One was originally chambered in 25-06 and after 20 years of service at the range and in the field, I sent it off to Bullberry in Utah and had it re-barreled and chambered in 25-35 Winchester for want of something a little different. One of my vintage reloading books stated that the 25-35 was "unspectacular on varmints..." Soooo, believing what the book said, the first turkey I shot with it was a fifty-yard body shot - the turkey exploded. After that it was neck shots only. 

The scope is a vintage Weaver T-16. The groups shown were shot twenty years ago using a Weaver T-36. They are 50, 100, and 300 yards. The 300 was shot to the north into a strong headwind. As a note: the gun weighs a little over ten pounds and was shot from a machine rest with all the right stuff under it.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger Number One 25-35 Winchester
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing. Myself and two others are now competing with 25-35's in Breech Seating Benchrest competition. The 200 yard target below was just shot by one of those friends and he has just recently been spending sometime with it. Wanted to mention it should you have an interest in someday doing the same. Also to date numerous 200 yard 250's have been shot with the 25-35's and we now have five in our Schuetzen group. 
Load data is also listed on the target for possible future use. If you might have an interest please feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2022 at 12:05pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the ASSRA Forum! I've always liked the lines of the Ruger No.1 rifles. The Weaver scope looks right at home on your rifle.

... Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2022 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
JoeDo I do fully agree. My hunting rifle was a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington. I once had and sold a re-done #3 in 32-40 and after I got it shooting. I was able to sell it to a new shooter Schuetzen shooter with the breach seater, bullet mould and scope rail for only 1100.00 bucks. Used to be it was a very inexpensive way for one to get into the sport. It also had all of the data and it only needed a scope. The rifle itself was already very competitive for 200 yard Schuetzen benchest.

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Nice #1, I bought a 1v in 25-06 in the early 80s. It has never had a factory round fired in it. It was a tack driver from day one, easily under an inch with little or no work on the reloads. Now a safe queen, haven’t shot it several years.
Thanks Mike

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Nice rifle !!
I had a  Niedner Mauser in 25/06  and my 1st single shot was a #1 ab in 7x57 way back in 1978.

IP Logged

RollerGuy
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2022 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies... the 25-06 happened along in my younger days and even though I put several thousand rounds through it I never really liked it. Back in those days I wore ear protectors at the range but not in the field... go figure on that one. The 25-06 is a real blaster. Probably one of the reasons I can't hear diddly these days. The 25-35 is such a superb shooter I have never missed the 25-06. Both are absolute tack-drivers, but consider that the 25-35 uses about half the powder and isn't nearly as loud. Anyway, don't overlook the 25-35 the next time you're prowling around for a new caliber.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
what are you guys doing about the fore end hanger?  i have a #1in 32/40  it has a bunch of flyers with the fore end on   art

IP Logged

RollerGuy
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Art...
My R-1 is stock. I remember trying to come up with a different way to mount the forearm back when, but never succeeded. Back when I shot those groups I used a long leather bag packed with sand (much like the one in the photo, but sturdier,) and pushed the rifle as far forward as possible, without over doing it. That puts all the weight near the action where the barrel is much stiffer. The bag is also under the hanger. Then keep as much weight off the gun as you can. After that breathing and trigger control become the most important thing.
Flyers are a fact of life, and I believe they are caused by the shooter, not the equipment... most probably in the trigger pull.
But hey, I could be entirely wrong.
Good luck to you.  Wink

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 12:38pm:
what are you guys doing about the fore end hanger?  i have a #1in 32/40  it has a bunch of flyers with the fore end on   art

With mine, I used the Frank Dehaas method. Drill and tap the end of the hanger for a socket head set screw like an 8-32 and give it light pressure against the barrel, just enough to eliminate hanger flex.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 12:23am
Print Post  
To get a similar effect I just put a pad in the barrel channel at the nose of the forend.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 8:21am
Print Post  
thanks all    art

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2022 at 9:13am
Print Post  
tim_s wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 8:49pm:
art_ruggiero wrote on Jan 8th, 2022 at 12:38pm:

With mine, I used the Frank Dehaas method. Drill and tap the end of the hanger for a socket head set screw like an 8-32 and give it light pressure against the barrel, just enough to eliminate hanger flex.

You can get the same effect by just using  longer forend screw and let it go through the threaded "barrel " and put pressure on the rifles barrel.it did wonders for my #1 220 Wilson Arrow 25 years back.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Not a seldom seen Ruger product that I thought I would share even though it is abit off topic. I actually owned two that I used daily for several years. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2022 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
The first Ruger No 1 that I found at Sutor's House of Guns in Colorado Springs in 1969 or 70 was a 25-06 varmint. It was not exactly what I was looking for, but it had beautiful wood, and at that point in time they were extremely hard to come by. I have since replaced it with a slightly newer version. The first now wears a 219 Don. barrel. It has been my experience, that the most simple way to improve on the accuracy of a No 1, is replace the Ruger barrel. Some of the other attempts will definatly help, but a good barrel seemed to be the best solution for me, if fine accuracy is the most desired result. To my way of thinking, the 25-06 is an outstanding longer range Antelope cartridge, and that has been demonstrated to me many times, until switching to a 38-55 High Wall and crawling closer!!!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint