Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Brush Buster (Read 1232 times)
Nimrod

O.S.O.K.

Brush Buster
Jan 1st, 2022 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Several decades ago, in east Texas, w had rifles we called 'brush busters.' Mostly .30-30 or similar. They all had two things in common - they were short (carbine length) and they fired relatively slow heavy bullets that were not easily deflected by small twigs as we shot through the brushy undergrowth. We thought they were the ideal deer rifles for deep woods.

I no longer live near deep woods, but this is my latest brush buster. .50-70 Roller saddle ring carbine.

If you need more than one shot, you need more practice!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Brush Buster
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Here's my brush buster. Started carrying it after a 7mm Mag bullet blew up on a twig on its way to an elk. Some college buddies and I did some testing on an old (disused - unwired) fence line with cedar poles. Tried to see how many poles in a row we could shoot through before the bullet deflected. I think my rifle at that time, a Swedish Mauser carbine in 6.5x55 with 160 grain RN Norma bullets did the best - don't ask how many poles, too long ago, but a lot less than you might hope. Anyway, after the 7mm fiasco, carried this 1902 Webley in 450-400 3 1/4 NE with 400 grain heavy jacketed Barnes bullets (the old days, when they pulled the copper tubing to diameter with a Jeep) over 80 grains of 4350 and dared an elk to stand behind a tree. They were so afraid of it, they never gave me a chance to use it.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Jeeezzz I'll bet that thing hurt as much on either end...

JMH

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Not too bad. Even though the barrel has been shortened, probably to make it handy in the "tall grass", it still weights 10 1/2 pounds. Yeah, you know when you pull the trigger but it comes up and torques left instead of knocking you straight back. You have to note that in Africa this cartridge was classed as just a large medium bore and commanded the niche in its day that the 375 H&H does now. It isn't a whole lot of fun from the bench but I got through it fine while working up loads. Definitely more pleasant than a Ruger No 1 in .416 Rigby.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I remember Barnes too,pulling copper tube with his Caddy.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2022 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I also have some 300 grain bullets Barnes made me with lighter jackets. These come whipping out at over 2500 fps. These would probably be a more comfortable US hunting cartridge. I also have a box of original Kynoch solid bullets in case we get infested with dinosaurs. These are packaged in a box with the bullets divided like pistol cartridges. OK, here's the real kicker (in more ways than one!). When I got this rifle many moons ago my dealer had two of these 1902 Webleys. The other one was in 600 Nitro Express. It would have been a fantastic investment, but who wants a rifle they will never shoot? Not me.

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2022 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
The 450-400-3 1/4 is a great caliber choice.  I had Roger Green build me one using one of Steve Earl's Wesson #1 Long Range actions several years ago.

Rich
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2022 at 9:08pm by ISS »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint