Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hairtrigger #9 (Read 661 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Hairtrigger #9
Dec 28th, 2021 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
The No. 6 Ballard Schuetzen has always been my favorite factory model. This one was good news/bad news when I bought it some 20+ years ago. It had an unknown.22 r.f. bbl. and no forearm. The original factory engraved action had been hot blued but, thank god, not buffed. The previous owner had lightly sanded the butt stock and applied a coat or two of boat varnish on one of the prettiest pieces of wood on any Ballard I’d ever seen. I refreshed the butt stock finish as best I could and made a new forearm of traditional appearance which Wayne Belec checkered. 
I ended up converting the action back to center fire and fitted it with a new 30” #4 weight full octagon.35 cal., 1:16” twist bbl. by Douglas, chambered for.33/40. It won’t shoot fixed ammo, breech-seat only, so it’s a rest only rifle. I have 2 bullets that work equally well. The first being a S.D.R. and the second by W.Wolf. Both being 233 grn. weight. For 200 yard rest shooting with iron sights it was always my favorite back in the days when I could still see iron sights. It weighs 14 pounds even with iron sights. The best 200 yard score I ever shot in an iron sight match was a 248x250.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hairtrigger #9
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2021 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Beautiful, just like the others you've saved! 
The #6 Schuetzen is one of my favorites too! I have several #6's, but only one that's not highly modified. The one mostly original does have a Schoyen barrel, but otherwise all stock.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint