Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cumberland Mountain Arms High Wall Replica (Read 1427 times)
bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Cumberland Mountain Arms High Wall Replica
Dec 18th, 2021 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
The 45-70 CMA rifle that I won at an auction showed up yesterday.  After the discussion about the quality of the kits. I was a bit worried.  My first impression is favorable, however.  The internals look just like original parts but may not be interchangeable.  I was unable to fully seat an original block.  The most obvious differences are the firing pin which is spring-loaded and removes from the front although the part that unscrews seems to be fairly tight and shows evidence of possible botched attempts to remove it.  I will have to make a custom spanner and try it.  The action is a bit taller by about 1/8" at the front.  It looks a bit strange.
The lever pin has no retaining screw and relies on the tension from the flat sprint to keep it in place.  This particular example is chambered in 45-70 with a #3 weight unmarked barrel.   
The tang sight that came with it is a POS as it will flow about a bit when raised.

I need to make up some BP loads next and try it out.  All in all I am not dissappointed as I only have $800 invested in it.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cumberland Mountain Arms High Wall Replica
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Appears someone used a hammer and a punch to turn that bushing Jack. If no burrs are sticking up it remains unseen and I would not worry about it to much. Did the firing pin happen to have a return spring behind it?
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2021 at 11:05am by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 10:42am
Print Post  
There is a spring.  I may have to put it in the mill and slightly enlarge the holes to give a sharp surface.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 11:23am
Print Post  
The price would be hard to pass on and it appears to be a nice rifle. Doesn't appear to be allot of room to enlarge the holes being so close to the outside edge. But if being moved more towards the firing pin hole while also maintaining the current outside edge. It does appear to be very doable when looking at the picture. Worse case is you can always make a new bushing. If that might become the case I have seen a set screw being used for its impact resistance and also its hardness. May be the basic type of screw for you to use to start out with.

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 11:27am
Print Post  
The bushing is an easy part to make, especially with your handy pattern! Many years ago I sent my high wall to Elwood Epps to have a 25 Epps barrel installed. The fine old German gunsmith who worked there bushed my fireing pin like this, with out even mentioning it or charging for it.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I am soaking it in ATF/Acetone for now.  I will make a tool that fits better than my adjustable spanner

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I made one of my CBE tools (crude but effective) and after carefully deepening the holes with a REALLY small endmill, I was able to unscrew it.  I will feel better now that I can make a replacement pin especially if I choose to sell this down the road.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Absolutely outstanding Jack and how did you ever live without a lathe and mill all these years?
If memory serves me right they are fairly new to you but I could be wrong? 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
In an earlier post and under another subject that spring is pretty much what I was referring too. 
I once owned a Laudensauck HiWall Winchester with the Neidner bushing conversion as was shared and it too used a similar spring as being shown to retract the firing pin. 
The assembly was actually unscrewed from the back as I believe his also were but I could also be wrong? 

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I started in the late 70s with a Unimat lathe which I used very little and later when I got into single shots upgraded to a Grizzly 7x12 which I still have and use mostly for case work in preparing 32-40 cases for my seater tools.  It is easier to spin up fast for polishing small items as well.  I upgraded it to a 5" 3 jaw chuck which makes it more versatile.  Then I got a small Grizzly mill and 3 years ago bought a Southbend heavy 10 from sight maker, machinist extraordinaire Ron Heilman.  Then I retired so I now have time to use them

I have a high wall block that someone fitted for a firing pin conversion  It has a 1/2x13 thread.  I plan on using some Bowning B78 firing ping I got from Brownell's.  It will have to be removable from the front but has a larger diameter than the Cumberland.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing Jack and when I bought my 12X37 Lathe. I never had any interest in even owning one.but the price was not one that I could down and didn't even know how to actually turn it on or to make it work. Ended up being the best money that I have ever spent. If anyone here is thinking about doing the same. I would highly recommend that you do it now and to not wait and I truly do believe that you will never regret it.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2021 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Also if you can come by one with a Milling attachment you can also do anything you might like while also not having a Mill. The one I did came with one and quite abit of tooling along with it. I have made bullet moulds with it and have also been able to do all of barrel work as well with it. So much so that now that I also have a Bridgeport Mill that I still do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint