Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shortened Remington sight (Read 4471 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Shortened Remington sight
Reply #30 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
My experience was in high school metal shop.  

I never got burned but our teacher poured some left over aluminum into a pipe.  Pipe had moisture in the bottom.  Aluminum blew up under his safety glasses and into his eyes. He looked bad for a while but didn't lose his sight. 

I worked in the ingot plant at an ALCOA smelter. Make a mistake there and you get vaporized. Your whole self, poof and yer gone!

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Mine was in a steel foundry when I was 21 years old. Third day of work I showed up for swingshift and was told to go home as they'd had a 20,000 lb. ladel break a bail while heading down the floor hanging from a bridge crane. The result was hot metal pouring out as the crane operator tried to get it to a pit to control the spill. In the process three men were covered in molten steel and killed instantly!
I should have quit that day, but instead I was back at it three days later, and stayed there 7 years. I saw an opening for an apprentice electrician at the foundry, and got off the pouring floor. Once I turned out as a journeyman electrician I quit, and went elsewhere.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I was just a welder making ski lifts. We never had any trouble with our stuff. Roll Eyes Most lived, even if maimed.

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #33 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Me too...First job as a pattern maker was in an aluminum foundry in Southgate, CA back in the 70's.There was a line of furnaces aong the eastern wall of the building I was warned to stay well clear of as the guys out there were not as careful as one could wish.

Sure enough one new guy went to the water cooler and on the way back to his station decided to toss the paper cup of water into an open furnace to see what would happen...Killed him and three other guys were badly burned.I got out of there pretty quick and went to work in the model shop at Northrop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint