Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Civil War Ballard Carbine (Read 1911 times)
JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Civil War Ballard Carbine
Sep 18th, 2021 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
This is one you won't see every day. A Dwight, Chapin, & Co. Civil War Ballard carbine. This is one of the only 1,000 of these manufactured. It's in surprisingly good condition for a 160 year old firearm that saw service during the Civil War. The action works perfectly and the bore is bright and shiny with only a few gray spots. It is chambered in 56-56 Spencer RF, as specified in the military contract.

A brief history of the Dwight, Chapin, & Co. Ballards. 

Ball & Williams built ~ 10,600 military rifles and carbines during the Civil War, with most of them being purchased by the state of Kentucky and marked Kentucky on the receiver. The Federal Gov. contracted with Merwin & Bray (who owned the Ballard patent)to have 1,000 carbines and 1,000 rifles built on the Ballard patent. 

Merwin & Bray assigned Dwight, Chapin, & Co. to build them. They were unable to fulfill the contract and went into bankruptcy. Merwin & Bray purchased the completed firearms and parts and had Ball & Williams finish the assembly of them under the supervision of Charles Ballard.

1,000 carbines and 600 rifles were sold to the state of Kentucky.These were not marked Kentucky like the Ball & Williams Ballards. The carbines were issued to veteran cavalry units and saw action in many famous campaigns and battles. 

If anyone looks at recent auctions and sees what these carbines are going for, and thinks I have deep pockets, I don't. This was listed wrong and described horribly. I bought it for the opening bid which was a very small fraction of the current auction prices.

JerryH 

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Civil War Ballard Carbine
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 6:41am
Print Post  
That's a beauty and a great find!  I look forward to seeing your range report Smiley

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 10:18am
Print Post  
   Those bad description situations are going to get worse. Dealers, Auction Houses and people who inherit and put firearms on auction don't know and guess. I bought a Rolling Block Creedmoor that was listed as a #2. Stevens 44's and 44 1/2's are probably the most common. High and Low Walls are a close 2nd. Do your Family a favor and catalog all you have.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Jerry, Better buy a lottery ticket quick, before your luck runs out! That's a very nice Dwight & Chapin Ballard! I learned a lot from your post, as you know I'm not very familiar with the pre-Marlin Ballard rifles! Great find, and a fantastic price too!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Bringing this back from wherever it disappeared to.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2021 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Pretty slick Jerry.
Nice score!

IP Logged

BlackPowderLove

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 12:56pm
Print Post