Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cartridge/bullet for 200yd bptr (Read 3232 times)
Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Cartridge/bullet for 200yd bptr
Sep 2nd, 2021 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Thinking about building a dedicated bench-rest target rifle for 200 yd paper punching, looking for the ultimate in accuracy at that range. This is the criteria: between .40 cal and .35 caliber, fixed ammunition, Heavy barrel probably round or half octagon or full octagon. No flat bottom butt or forend. Would like to hear your learned thoughts on actions, barrel makers, bbl profile etc. etc. Bullets, I have had very good luck in matches using paper patches.
Thanks guys
Richard

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cartridge/bullet for 200yd bptr
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Grand slam
Are you considering shooting in ASSRA or ISSA "Schuetzen" matches or perhaps informal 200 yard target shooting? Smokeless or black powder? Those are just a few considerations as to action, caliber, stocks and sights. Another consideration is decide if you want a traditional style rifle or more "modern" action and stocks.
Good luck. It appears like you will be pursuing an interesting project.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Thanks for weighing in Randy. Firs let me say I enjoyed and learned from your book and very much enjoy your artwork. I shoot at an informal 200yd match in Johnson City Tn. Using 200yrd NRA bullseye targets. I shoot black powder and like the more traditional rifles. We have a few more shoots before the end of season shooting and I’m either second or first overall, shooting a .45-70 with 535 gn PP bullets and 83gns of powder. My lead and powder mine is slowly petering out so looking for something more lighter. Like 38-55 maybe. We don’t have any Schuetzen matches here.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I would picture a Win Hi Wall, SST, caliber 38-55 BMW for your purpose shooting 200yds. Half the powder and lead as your 45-70, along with Much more comfortable shooting.
But if you wanted to be able to some times shoot longer distance, take a look at the 38-50 Rem Hep. It uses about 10% more powder than the 38-55 BMW
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I'd also go with a .38-55.   Mine have been easy to make shoot well with black powder, and if you ever want to shoot smokeless the .38-55 will do very well there too.  If you have a gunsmith you trust then you could get one built on a highwall, otherwise I'd go with a CPA.  Even with paper patched bullets it's worth having a look at breech seating.

Chris.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I seem to remember a .38 on a necked down 44-40 case.I can't remember who had it though. Maybe somebody else will remember.

40 Rod

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 10:38am
Print Post  
  i love my 40/50ss  same powder as a 38/55 similar weight bullet  and deadly accurate   art

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Given the cost of brass, dies, and bullet mould;  I'd go with the 38-55.  You can even use 30-30 brass though it is a bit shorter.  Lots easier and less expensive if cost is any kind of an issue.   Having said that,  I could talk myself into a 40-50 real easilly.

George

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 3rd, 2021 at 10:14am:
I seem to remember a .38 on a necked down 44-40 case.I can't remember who had it though. Maybe somebody else will remember.
40 Rod

Perhaps the 38-40WCF, which is a necked down 44-40WCF?
The 35-40 is a very accurate round and several folks campaign one with BP.
I've stopped working on my 38-40Rem-Hepburn due to the difficulty in finding primers. Savings them for next season. It is a shortened 38-50Rem-Hepburn and is a small step down from the 40-50SS recommended above. I've got a 307gr PP bullet to try in it as well as a 247gr & 265gr GG bullet.

OP also ask about barrels. My 40-65 GrnMtn 'X' barrel is almost as slick inside as my stainless Bartlein 38-40RH barrel and both are very accurate. Either of them or a Shilen or Douglas or Kreiger would be an excellent choice. 

For a rifle, C. Sharps offers several choices (1885 High Wall or Hepburn for the bench), DZ Arms offers a Hepburn, Montana Vintage Arms offers an 1885 High Wall action (no barrel or wood - need your own gunsmith) with a DST option. And, CPA's Stevens 44 1/2 has DSTs. All are excellent choices. You take your pick and pay your money. Have not mentioned any side-hammer actions as their slow lock-time is not conducive to the best benchrest sscores. If you are never going to shoot silhouette, then you could also look at a Ruger No.1 and Borchardt action.

If you are going to shoot BP, then the 35-40, 38-55, 38-50, 40-50 or 40-65 will also get you into both BPCR (Dawsonville, GA, Ashland, KY & Friendship, IN are not too far from you) or BPTR (Oak Ridge, TN & Camp Atterbury, IN). For Schuetzen think Etna Green, OH and Columbia, MD might be the nearest. Also look for CBA (cast bullet association) matches. They are cast bullet benchrest matches at 200yd. There are a couple of 200yd ram matches near Richmond, VA & Washington, DC.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2021 at 8:40am by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2021 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I have both a 40-65 Hi Wall and a CPA 44.5 in 40-60 Maynard and I only ever use BP. Based on my experience with these two rifles I would lean towards the 40-60 as it was easy to work up an accurate load for it. CPA can offer various brands of barrels as well, mine has a krieger which is octagonal. The CPA can also be supplied with unfinished wood which is easy to finish yourself, this will save you a few bucks also.
If you decide to go with either the 40-65 or the 40-60 Maynard PM me for loads that have worked well in my rifles.
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 5:25am
Print Post  
One additional thought concerning the 40-65 is, that if you decide to sell it later there is a bigger market for it compared to and smaller calibers as it is quite suitable for sillywet competitions.
Mike.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:01am
Print Post  
All good info fellows. The .38-50 sounds interesting along with the .38-55. Arnie what does the BMW stand for after the .38-55 ? I understand the suggestion of going to a .40-65 regarding the re-sale value. I’m building a .40-65 on a MVA Hiwall with a single set trigger, Smith SS gain twist barrel stocked with a nice blank. Ron Snover, my neighbor chambered it for me before I got my lathe and I enjoyed doing all the metal & wood work. The reamer was a custom job that I designed for PP with the help from suggestions by Arnie...the downside or good side however you want to look at it was my doctor saw the rifle and really wanted to buy it. It was hard to say no as he saved my life in a difficult operation. BTW, the MVA action is very nice and cleans up well although it needed a bunch of file work on the lever as it was too thick in cross section. 
Regarding Borchardt and Hepburn actions, are they single triggers or can you get single-set triggers?  Also, are they through bolt actions?
Thanks SSS for the list of shooting venues.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions it gives me something’s to mull over.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Realizing that each rifle is different, is there a particular GG bullet that is seen as a best overall 200 yard match bullet, any particular alloy ? What about a paper patch bullet. I see a lot of short range bullets as having a large diameter flat meplat. I guess the Schuetzen folks have a handle on accurate .38 caliber rifles from their vast knowledge of 40 rod shooting. From the little I understand traditional Schuetzen was from the offhand position but noe ‘Schuetzen’ is shot from a bench too. What are those fellows shooting?
Thanks Richard

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Every rifle, barrel, cartridge is different. If only life could be so simple as our having a universal bullet, load, etc., at any distance.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2021 at 9:32pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Regarding what bullet to use try and scrounge some from your friends before lashing out on a new mould that may not work ( don't ask how I know this ).  After  "investing" in about 12  .40 cal moulds I found that my two Baco Money Bullets worked the best ( for me in my rifles ) one is mould #JIM409400M4 and the other is #JIM409420M4, all cast in 20-1 mix. YMMV.
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint