Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barry Darr, Gunmaker (Read 3156 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Barry Darr, Gunmaker
Aug 16th, 2021 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I know B.W. Darr's reputation for bullet moulds is excellent. For those of you that knew him, what other shooting tools did he make? I have seen one bullet lube pump, and of course the bullet moulds. Was there anything else?

Thanks in advance ...

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Re: Barry Darr, Gunmaker
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
He also made a really sweet re/de-capper.

Not the usual Pope style.

When Barry folded up his tent he apparently sold off a lot of unfinished stuff to Chuck Pingrey.  This is one of the ones Pingrey finished.

I've seen others that were more streamlined, including the one Barry used for his own shooting that was much more comfortably shaped.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
He must have made barrels, also. I have one of his rifling machines by way of Ken Meyer. Someday, I’ll use it.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
He did do barrels.
I have 1 of 1 45-70 false muzzle barrel with tools. On a rug er #3

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I have a breech seating tool he made me when in Carpenteria Ca. He also barreled a take down hi wall in 32-40 with false muzzle and guide starter for me. Still have molds, grease pump and seater.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I have one of his re-decappers. Really nice. It came from his brother Jim's shooting box.<

GTalk  
IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I regularly compete with a Stevens that Barry rebarreled in the mid '70s.  False muzzle with starter, bullet mold ect.  It's very accurate. Barrel #341, number 4 wt.  Love that rifle!

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Joe Do,

Way off topic of your question about firearms related items, but I feel this may also be of interest to you.

Barry once showed me a photo album of pictures of very unique, high end, custom pieces of furniture he had made. 

Sorry for getting off-track.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 1:44am
Print Post  
i had the privilege to know Barry and shoot with him in Modesto,Ca. He was a fellow swabby and we yakked about our service. IMHO Barry made some fine rifle barrels, two of which I own. I would put his barrels up against any others for workmanship and finish and I have RKS, Douglas xx, Shilen, Krieger, Badger, Clerke and Hoch. Once i learn to shoot them I will know more. Cool

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 3:57am
Print Post  
I just bought a B. Darr barrel .40 cal 1-18 twist .395 bore, .403 groove. Seems to be chambered in 38-55.  Anybody here ever heard of breech seating a .40 cal bullet ahead of a 38-55 case ? 
LD1

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Barry Darr lived with me and family for two plus years. He took over where the last great rifle builders took off and made the same as them. He worked for Saeco and was in charge of their bullet mould making department. His Rifle shop was right next door and it was not related to Saeco. He followed allot of what Schoyen did with his barrel making. He drilled, reamed and rifled his own barrels and up to 32 caliber where 7 groove and over were 9 groove. His re&de capper was basically a Otto A Bremer's design. He also built quite a few complete rifles and below is one he built from an original HiWall action back in 1972 and one I owned. He was a very active competitor back in the east and shot with Buck and Dorthy Emmert and other well known names in the surrounding area. He is the one who actually got the Coors matches started in Golden Colorado with the help of Coors top man. He still holds some unbroken records today. One would have to write a book to really know the man. He did two tours in Vietnam in the river boats and he rifled his first barrel at 21. He also attended Cal Poly's and an engineer. Not sure what else to add and if you have any questions please free to just ask. He closed his business when the owner of Saeco died. As the new owner moved the business into a bad area in LA were he would not raise his children nor to live. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Good afternoon J Louis ...

Thank you for the details regarding Barry Darr. He is well known in my area with the older shooters when he resided in Joliet, IL. I hear his name a lot but his barrels and other work don't come available very often.

Earlier this year I bought a new-old-stock bullet lube pump with .32 and .38 Cal inserts stamped 'B.W. Darr". Last week I bought a SAECO bullet mould with Darr's name and weights stamped on the sprue plate.

I heard that he also made a recapper. It may be silly but I thought it would fun to assemble a full set of reloading tools in the same caliber and eventually add a rifle.

I wonder if he rifles .22 caliber barrels or only larger calibers.

Thanks again ...
Joe Dobrzynski

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Joe I don't recall any conversations in regards to rimfire barrels or rifles so unfortunately I cannot honestly answer your question.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I have a beautiful 32-40 barrel Barrie made. I also have bullet  molds made by him.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Ken I totally agree all though he did not stay in the barrel making business as long as some of the rest. He did more in support of the Schuetzen sport than anyone I know. What folks don't realize is he actually took off from where Pope, Schoyen, Zischang, Petterson had left off. Good example is the full muzzle loading Laudensauk HiWall out fit that I had posted in an earlier post. He is the one who followed doing the same as where of them had left off. I can remember back around the 70's when his barrels were winning and setting all of the new records. Most everyone in the Modesto Schuetzen group had Darr barrels at that time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint