Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Optics In The Hayday Of The Schuetzen Matches. (Read 3456 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Optics In The Hayday Of The Schuetzen Matches.
Aug 15th, 2021 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
In an earlier post there was a miss-conception in regards to the equipment being used in regards to Scopes. The below is self explanatory of what was actually being used.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Optics In The Hayday Of The Schuetzen Matches.
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
  Well, thank you, that certainly clears that up!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
John
I'm not understanding the purpose of your post "Re: Optics In The Hayday Of The Schuetzen Matches". Please fill me in on what was the miss-conception in regards to the equipment being used in regards to Scopes? I must have missed that original post.
BTW, the rifle pictured isn't a "Schuetzen" rifle per-se. Kelly was a well known bench rest shooter of the late Schuetzen era and that rifle was one he used to shoot a number of quite small 10-shot groups at 200 yards that were published in Shooting & Fishing magazine about the turn of the 20th century.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Randy the power of scopes being used. Kelly was a renowned Benchrest Competitor back in his day and the scope being shown is a 20X Sidle. I don't recall if the top one is a tube sight or not I would need to go back and look. Pope considered him to be the Dean of Benchrest shooting at the time so he must have still been around. There is not allot of information in regards to the Schuetzen style of benchrest competition back in the day to be found. That 20X scope is basically still the same type we still use in our traditional class today and that is the main point being made. The miss-conception being that we are not using the same type of equipment as they were using back in their day.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 11:50am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 16th, 2021 at 10:58am:
Randy the power of scopes being used. Kelly was a renowned Benchrest Competitor back in his day and the scope being shown is a 20X Sidle. I don't recall if the top one is a tube sight or not I would need to go back and look. Pope considered him to be the Dean of Benchrest shooting at the time so he must have still been around. There is not allot of information in regards to the Schuetzen style of benchrest competition back in the day to be found. That 20X scope is basically still the same type we still use in our traditional class today and that is the main point being made. The miss-conception being that we are not using the same type of equipment as they were using back in their day. 

I thought Fecker was the only one who had a center tube paralax adjustment?
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2021 at 12:23pm by Dellet »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I believe I read that Fecker first went to work for John Sidle before going out on his own but I could also be wrong. If so that is where the similarities might have come from including his adjustable scope mounts

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Actually, the upper, single-diameter scope and mounts are the John Sidle items.  I once owned a 12-15X Sidle mounted on a Schoyen-barreled and -modified Sharps and found it to be a very fine instrument.  It's not surprising that Mr. Sidle was considered by many to be the very best American maker of microscopes and telescopic sights in the late-19th and early-20th centuries. 

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
It would seem that the photograph was made in 1941, per the typewritten note. Were that the case it isn't surprising that the rifle is wearing a Fecker scope. Mayhaps the rifle's original Sidle is shown alongside.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh wrote on Aug 16th, 2021 at 4:23pm:
It would seem that the photograph was made in 1941, per the typewritten note. Were that the case it isn't surprising that the rifle is wearing a Fecker scope. Mayhaps the rifle's original Sidle is shown alongside.

Reading the caption, I take it as the original scope and accessories are shown along with the rifle. "original John Sidle 20-power  telescope and mounts for the same".

What to me looks like a post WWI Fecker that is mounted on the rifle, is not what was used during the hayday of the sport.

But I'm always open to a schooling

Original source would be nice

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I've said it once but I'll say it again.  The single-diameter scope with the mounts at its ends IS almost certainly the original John Sidle scope.  On what basis?  I've owned a similar Sidle scope with different mounts and a shorter Sidle scope with the same mounts.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Many of you might also find the following descriptive material of the .38-72 Kelly-Pope-Ballard by Kelly himself interesting:

Length of barrel of the rifle is 32 inches, the complete arm weighing 16 pounds. The weight of bullets was 330 grains, 1 to 16, Leopold's No. 6 lubricant, and were loaded in the barrel with Pope's latest lever starter. The shell used was the .38-72 Winchester, 69 grains FG Hazard, and 3 grains No. 1 Du Pont Rifle Smokeless, and was primed with U. M. C. 7 1/2 primers.

The quote is from Shooting and Fishing, Vol 38, No. 2, page 33.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Aug 16th, 2021 at 6:19pm:
I've said it once but I'll say it again.  The single-diameter scope with the mounts at its ends IS almost certainly the original John Sidle scope.  On what basis?  I've owned a similar Sidle scope with different mounts and a shorter Sidle scope with the same mounts.

Bill Lawrence

Not dis-agreeing with you at all, more questioning JLouis assessment that it is a not a post war Fecker, but a pre war Sidle and that they were in common use pre 1917, whiich I had always thought was the hayday and the technology cutoff for traditional class.

Trying to learn if the mis-conception is his or mine, when he was clearly referring to the scope mounted in the rifle. 
I know that post war scopes are allowed in traditional class, even tho most used do not qualify by date of manufacture and most mounts must be modified. 

Quote:
Jlouis
I don't recall if the top one is a tube sight or not I would need to go back and look.

Quote:
Jlouis
That 20X scope is basically still the same type we still use in our traditional class today and that is the main point being made. The miss-conception being that we are not using the same type of equipment as they were using back in their day.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I see a huge advantage to using a something with a belled objective vs a straight tube scope. 
I just don't know of many pre war belled objective scopes, that I would say we are using the same type of equipment as back in the day.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately we have been involved in too many wars, so first off, which pre war are you referencing? I have to assume WW1. A lot of advancement between 1 and 2. I have a very fine 12x Sidle, and a number of Fecker scopes, and as good as the sidle is, the Fecker and his mountings are far superior to the Sidle in my opinion.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Aug 16th, 2021 at 9:24pm:
Unfortunately we have been involved in too many wars, so first off, which pre war are you referencing? I have to assume WW1. A lot of advancement between 1 and 2. I have a very fine 12x Sidle, and a number of Fecker scopes, and as good as the sidle is, the Fecker and his mountings are far superior to the Sidle in my opinion.

Since the title of the thread is Quote:
Optics In The Hayday Of The Schuetzen Matches.
I was assuming, maybe incorrectly, 1890-1920 as a loose time frame. So yes, my reference was WWI, and why I referenced 1917 earlier. I do remember the Maine so the Spanish/American war could be on then table also.

As you stated, you prefer the Fecker over the Sidle, I think most shooters look for the technological advances of their time. 

I don’t know what the rules were when the ASSRA was founded concerning scopes, but what is allowed in the traditional class now, were pretty popular and common at that time, late 40’s. It would be interesting to know, at least for me. 
Was there a traditional class then, if so what were the rules on scopes?

It’s all academic for me, I just don’t agree with the original assertions, and would like to know if they are correct or not.

The original assertion was that the Fecker scope mounted on the rifle pictured was typical of what was used in pre 1917 Schuetzen matches, this was based on the incorrect assumption that it was actually a Sidle scope.

That incorrect assumption was given as the reason why the post war externally mounted scopes are what is used today in the traditional class.

I think it might be a bit more simple, it was what they were using when the association was formed, and sometime later the technology advance was stopped.  Hard call, could also be that the cut off was basically pre WWII technology, since the association was formed just after.

Maybe one of the members with a better knowledge or link to the founders would chime in with the answer.

Just interested.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Perhaps a definition of "hayday" would be in order. The Golden Era of Schuetzen, pre-WWI? The era before WWII when the last of the great gunmakers and shooters from the Golden Era were dying out and prone military-style target shooting was all the rage, but when the first post-Golden Era single shot generation of guys were gaining their footing? Or maybe when our current generation of single shot men were not so hackled with gray hair as they are now, who are admired by those like me who are coming into the sport late in life (and who are pretty gray ourselves)? Like most delectable subjects, such definitions are fairly subjective in nature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint