Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Boots Obermeyer, other more recent barrel makers (Read 1175 times)
beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Boots Obermeyer, other more recent barrel makers
Aug 14th, 2021 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Not to take anything from the Harry Pope thread, but it would be interesting- I am starting this thread to look for input regarding Boots Obermeyer and many of his "students" such as
Ernie Stallman/Badger barrels, John Krieger, Bartlein, Mark Chanlin, etc
Boots was a friend of mine as in shooting with him in Hi Power Matches. Similar to Harry Pope, Boots was a Top, Hi Master Hi Power shooter who held records.
His cut rifled barrels are Top Drawer, bar none. 
Unfortunately, a few years ago, Boots had a stroke that ended his barrel making and shooting. But, particularly in HI Power, his barrels are legendary. None Better.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Boots Obermeyer, other more recent barrel makers
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2021 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I have to agree that Boots Obermeyer barrels were and still are considered by many to be the best, along with many of his apprentices, if you will, Mark Chanlynn being one of them. I was sitting in Mark's shop a couple days ago and brought up the question about availability of the machinery needed to deep hole drill and cut rifle barrels. having known Mark for close to fifty years, and aware of the work he put into, first finding, moving and then fixing, and modifying to his satisfaction literally tons, and tons of machinery, I thought he might have an answer. Mark had told me about Boots having a very debilitating stroke, and as part of the answer to my question Mark said that he, boots, had salvaged and saved a great many tools of the trade that he never used, or had room to set up such. All of the equipment that Mark was aware of was WWII salvage, and that there was, at one time, a lot of it still in existence, which is how Mark acquired his. As time has passed he is sure much of it has been destroyed, and that the machinery is not being manufactured today, so little demand, and the cost prohibitive being the main reasons. This all pertaining to more or less mass producing barrels, although being aware of the work that Mark puts into a barrel, I would never affix the word mass to producing cut rifled barrels, his or anyone else who take pride in their effort. I guess that where I was going with this is that Pope, having only himself to provide for( that I am aware of ) was able to contribute all his time to making barrels, and large profit was not a concern. Great talent  very often is accompanied by a lack of business acumen or little concern for that aspect of their work, the work itself being the reward. Pope made wonderful barrels, and that is what he will always be remembered for. Others today, may one day, be remembered for their barrels and hopefully more.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2021 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd,
Mark Chanlynn fitted my first Boots barrel soon after he moved to Colorado. Boots was so busy making the barrels, especially for Gov't projects, he suggested he send my action and the barrel out to Mark for fitting.
A Good Job of fitting a Good barrel. It is a half minute rifle. A Savage 110/30-06 /12 twist. 28" with the "Schnable" muzzle.
I still have the rifle. Have only occasionally shot cast bullets from it in the last 30 years or so.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2021 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Small world beltfed, at least the gun world.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint