Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Top 100 Shot Benchrest Shooter ISSA Schuetzenfest (Read 2589 times)
ISS
Oldtimer

Re: Top 100 Shot Benchrest Shooter ISSA Schuetzenfest
Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 4:37am
Print Post  
JLouis,

I would suggest that head to head competition is the only legitimate means of determining the "Greatest of all time...".

Everyone competes during the same weather conditions, else we could all shoot at home and claim the crown.  I reference old PS stories of the Houston Warehouse; where nearly everyone with a 6PPC shot 5-shot groups at 100yds in the zeroes.
A sanctioned shoulder to shoulder match legitimizes the groups and scores.

respectfully yours,

Rich

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 7:18am
Print Post  
I have to agree with Mr. Louis in one respect.  Whatever the endeavor, the truly "best" are those who earn that designation repeatedly, some even consistently.  As for the rest, they well deserve congratulations and whatever "trophy" comes with; they are the best "of the moment", but not "of all time".

Also, Rich's way to determine shooting prowess is not always a valid test.  For example, there are those who see Pope in a lesser light for the lame way he backed out of Niedner's shoulder-to-shoulder challenge.  But had that challenge been issued when Pope's eyesight and wrist were still strong and his barrel-making skills still formidable, the match would surely have happened and likely still talked about today.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2021 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Very well put Bill and it would be that type of ongoing consistency that would get one into a hall of fame. But unfortunately we have never established one so there is not a true means of reference for us to now go to. To find out who those folks really are.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
JLouis,

I would suggest that the only worthwhile measure of shooting ability is based on head to head competition at a given match.
Every one shoots under the same conditions, and on the clock.

Rich

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2021 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Totally agree Rich!! But I also feel it is just not a one time outcome or accomplishment but the average over one's entire competitive shooting years. Why my Sports,  ASSRA, ISSA and CBA over the past 23+ years have not created a Hall Of Fame based on points is just not comprehendabe to me. The old Timers had a pretty good documented history of their own long term personal accomplishments but why not we?
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:53am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
How would you go about retrieving and compiling points, John?  

Sounds like a big complicated job and a lot of us have shot matches all over the states and other countries. Not all clubs have affiliations. 

Maybe you should start another thread, something like "single shot BR shooters hall of fame", proposal?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 6:53pm:
How would you go about retrieving and compiling points, John?  

Sounds like a big complicated job and a lot of us have shot matches all over the states and other countries. Not all clubs have affiliations. 

Maybe you should start another thread, something like "single shot BR shooters hall of fame", proposal?

Great Idea! Considering this thread was intended for the ISSA Schuetzenfest.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
All though it might now take allot of work the scores have been posted here since 2004 and also in the ASSRA Journals. The ISSA I don't believe goes back that far on their web site now. In regards to the CBA Ed Krasny has kept track of them going all the way back to at least 1998. So in short it is not just about the ISSA, ASSRA or the CBA but all of the matches those here have all shot over the years including the Wyoming Schuetzen Union and maybe someone also has access to the records as well? 

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2021 at 10:06am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2021 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Allot of these folks are in the BRSA Hall Of Fame and some of them are not but you can still their accomplishments in their Hall Of Fame. This web site is paying tribute to all of those who have now since passed and who were in their sport and they are now not forgotten. Go down to post #185 to see the current list. Some of these folks were also involved in our own sport and some I have also shot with. Its hard to believe just how many are no longer with us and how many we too might have lost.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2021 at 10:52am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
BPJack someone mentioned Mel Harris on this site and he is actually a member on this site. I have also talked to him in a few PM's just between ourselves.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
I thought he was on here.  Seems to be a very knowledgeable guy.  Too bad we didn't get to compete in Spokane in the main centerfire matches.  I hope he can make it next year.  This time he needs to leave the high temps at home.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Sep 15th, 2021 at 11:51pm:
I thought he was on here.  Seems to be a very knowledgeable guy.  Too bad we didn't get to compete in Spokane in the main centerfire matches.  I hope he can make it next year.  This time he needs to leave the high temps at home.

Jack

I haven't shot there in a year but Tommy and Bev and others used to shoot plainbase class there.  Last match I shot my #1 30-06 breech seat in production class 
And when Jack Floyd was still with us it used to be a great time hanging out with the Canadians.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Bpjack I just dug out the results from the 2006 CBA National Championship. Mel was shooting the UNR class and he finished up at the top of the list. Mel has always been one to freely share honest information and to me he has been an Icon in the sport. In regards to supporting CBA and another one being my good friend Bob Birmely and his wife. Not sure if I followed what you had to share did Mel shoot at Tommy Mason's match this year. 
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2021 at 6:38pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2021 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
That was his plan, but he and Steve Barber decided that the heat was too much after the first day which was the .22 and .25 ISSA relays.  They were trying to sleep and hang out in the hot 'bunkhouse'.  They left shortly after I did mid-afternoon Monday after the day's shooting.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2021 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I heard it was pretty hot and was Mel using one of Steve's new Singleshot actions. If not what was he shooting or planning to shoot in the CF Any Sight matches for the week. Nice to hear Mel is also shooting plainbase competition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint