Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Increasing a bullets dia (Read 1699 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Increasing a bullets dia
Aug 8th, 2021 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I would like to increase the diameter of the current bullet I'm using and am looking for suggestions for a simple cheap way to do this, The only power tool I own is an electric drill.
My current bullet is the BACO 400gr money bullet which drops at about .409", I would like to increase this to about .410 if possible and see if it shoots any better at that dia.
Cheers
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Increasing a bullets dia
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Without having the proper means to do such a thing I would get a chucking reamer of the appropriate size and to just turn it by hand. While also putting abit of pressure on the two mould block halves. If your drill press does not run perfectly true and you cannot control the depth. Mark the inside of what needs to be removed without getting into the grease groove. Just go real slow and keep checking to  insure it is cutting equally on both sides to the best of your abilities. Keep in mind you are only removing a 1/2 a thousandths or possibly + per side so you can't really do much harm.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Check out my video about one way to do it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
May as well throw in my 2 cents worth.  Does a different Alloy Mix cast a larger bullet?
With just a drill I would drill a hole into a cast bullet and glue in a Finnish Nail, Polish would work also, as a handle and just use some lapping compound.  As Mr Louis said a half thou ain't much.  Lap by hand with constantly changing motion while keeping light pressure on the handles.  Don't need much compound and if your Bullet Lap feels loose cast another and repeat.  Good luck,. David

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Different alloys do cast larger or smaller.   I can't remember where I found the data, but the harder the bullet the larger the diameter.    For example Lyman 375449:  lead  .3773"; wheelweight .3779"; #2 alloy, .3785"; linotype, .3789".     Probably holds true for other bullets as well.    

George

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 11:04am
Print Post  
if you are shooting b p it will probably make no difference  art

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on Aug 10th, 2021 at 9:35am:
Different alloys do cast larger or smaller.   I can't remember where I found the data, but the harder the bullet the larger the diameter.    For example Lyman 375449:  lead  .3773"; wheelweight .3779"; #2 alloy, .3785"; linotype, .3789".     Probably holds true for other bullets as well.    

George

Linotype is alloyed to give the best (largest) size of type when cast, as well as being hard enough for multiple uses.  Other alloys for type are harder and a bit more durable.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the suggestions, What I'm trying to achieve is better bullet alignment on chambering and making the bullet a slightly better firmer fit in the case. I have a batch of 23-1 alloy ready to try, my thinking being that the bullets may bump up better in the chamber. Being cheap by nature I'm reluctant to purchase another mould ( custom ) only to find out it made no difference to my group sizes.
Mike.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Mick, you could try belling the case mouth just a little bit so that you can feel it drag on the walls of your chamber as you slide ithe cartridge in.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Old Win
I did try that once but the jury's out on whether it made any difference or not. Perhaps I'm just flogging a dead horse with this larger bullet idea, spare time I have plenty of though.
Mike.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 10:24am
Print Post  
If you want to increase the diameter of a bullet without attacking the mould with a power tool, you might go over to the Cast Boolits Forum (their spelling, not mine) and look up the process called “beagling” which was developed by a frequent correspondent who uses beagle as his screen name.  This technique will give you a couple of thousandths increase in bullet diameter without permanent change to the mould.  If you ask for help, there are lots of guys there with experience using this strategy. 

Froggie

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2021 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
I will give that a try 
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have found being larger than the groove diameter works out very well. Myself I like my own bullets being 1 thousandths per-side over the actual groove diameter size.  In all honesty a 1/2 thousandths per-side depending on alloy, casting methods, temperature, shrinkage rates, how the mould is being held closed each time is one that is just damned near impossible to be able to precisely maintain. The more important thing for me is to look if the bullet might be smaller in diameter than the diameter of the freebore. If so the base should be at least 1 thousandths over the diameter of the freebore itself. So at times one might have to overlook the actual groove diameter size. Something has to be guiding the back of the bullet into becoming central to the bore and that is what the freebore and the leade in angle are for. One for the front and one for the back and both are required to establish a proper bullet fit.    

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Looked at the Lyman Orange How To Book that came with my Press.  There's a page with different Bullets and Alloys and what changes   Interesting is the Sizing Die and results.  Basically Harder Alloy gives Larger but Lighter Bullets.  David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint