Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .44-75 Ballard Brass (Read 3260 times)
Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: .44-75 Ballard Brass
Reply #15 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
That’s what happens when using old eyes! This time I got out the digital calipers! The head diameter is .620, that’s better! Also the brass length is 2.24 inches, not 2.40. Other measurements are correct. 
Thanks for pointing it out, I should have double checked.

This Farrington  cartridge is looking like the 44-77 sharps. I bought this cartridge along with some others a number of years ago. It was labeled as the Farrington, but I don’t know anything about it.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2021 at 7:58pm by Crown-C »  

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I can't identify the cartridge, but the "Farrington" label on it is probably to identify the primer. Likely came from a display of the assorted priming systems back when the world was young, you know, B.C. (before covid). 
It was a primer that used a cup with an anvil inside, but different somewhat from the ones we are familiar with. I rememberd it from the huge collection of Gun Report magazines I own. I could spend a week looking for the exact issue.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
The cartridge case on the Farrington is a .44/77 Sharps & Remington.  The Farrington reference is to the primer.  But the Sharps & Remington case does not look to be the same as whatever the .44/75 Ballard bottleneck might be.  The neck on the Ballard cartridge is too short, although the case length, etc. is as close as different manufacturers got in the late 1870s, and then copied more or less with something formed on Basic brass.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 10:27am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:07pm:
The cartridge case on the Farrington is a .44/77 Sharps & Remington.  The Farrington reference is to the primer.  But the Sharps & Remington case does not look to be the same as whatever the .44/75 Ballard bottleneck might be.  The neck on the Ballard cartridge is too short, although the case length, etc. is as close as different manufacturers got in the late 1870s, and then copied more or less with something formed on Basic brass.

I see nothing "bottlenecked" about the .44-75 Ballard cartridge? Nor do I see any reference to a .44-75 Ballard bottleneck case anywhere?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Jul 28th, 2021 at 7:41am:
Spud - I measured 2 fired cases, this is what I found. As can be seen in the above photo, it has a slight bottleneck.
Steve

I see a bottle neck in the above drawing and in the photo with the original post, whatever the case is called.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Have we considered that the 'bottleneck' seen in the original post was made from basic brass at some unknown time and with uncertain methods? Perhaps it is simply in an unfinished state that would remove the pitiful flaw with a stiff load of green dot and some cream of wheat? I think it's worth considering. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Jul 31st, 2021 at 8:21pm:
Have we considered that the 'bottleneck' seen in the original post was made from basic brass at some unknown time and with uncertain methods? Perhaps it is simply in an unfinished state that would remove the pitiful flaw with a stiff load of green dot and some cream of wheat? I think it's worth considering. Roll Eyes

One of the bags is marked "unfired", they have a slight bottleneck. The other bag is not marked "unfired". Those cases have a well defined bottleneck, indicating they were fireformed.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
There's nothing bottlenecked about the Ballard .44-75 case. As Richard's picture shows it's a simple taper case, not a bottleneck with a shoulder. 
And John Dutcher's book shows the same case, with no shoulder or bottleneck either. So if your bag of "unfired cases" has a bottleneck, it simply means they're not labeled correctly, as they aren't .44-75 Ballard now that they're bottlenecked cases.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Vall - I agree, not sure what they really are. But I'll save them to reform for some future use - maybe .45-90s or ???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint