Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) First shot blues (Read 2748 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

First shot blues
Jul 17th, 2021 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

I am shooing a Hi-Wall in Traditional rifle and often have the problem of having the first shot hit off target when switching from a practice target to a score target or from the first score target to the second one. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this problem?
Thanks!
Joe S

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: First shot blues
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Joe
Do you mean literally off the target or do you mean off from your point of aim?
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2021 at 3:15pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Might want to check your bench rest set up.
Sound like some added stress being applied, or alignment being changed by adjusting your front rest.
Just a possibility!
Sst

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I am referring to off the point of aim, usually high but not always. very frustrating especially after you pound five or six in the 25 ring on the sight in target and shoot a 22 or worse for the first shot on the score target. 
Joe S

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I shoot around 15+ shots on my sighter target before going to the record. If you notice your vertical dispersion has increased on that particular day make an adjustment to your powder charge in a few tenths going up or down and stay on the sighter target until comes back around. Rule of thumb for myself is every 10 degrees and going up during the Day I have to make a small change and going up in a few tenths for my own rifle to stay in tune.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Joe_S wrote on Jul 17th, 2021 at 9:21pm:
I am referring to off the point of aim, usually high but not always. very frustrating especially after you pound five or six in the 25 ring on the sight in target and shoot a 22 or worse for the first shot on the score target. 
Joe S

Do the second and subsequent shots on the score target come back to point of aim?

<div class=

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
assuming you are not cleaning before that scoring shot, i would bet you are not framing that shot like the practice ones. i have done that. After the shock wore off i settled back down to shooting my 24s Roll Eyes

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
JOE:
My first experiment would be to shoot, say, 10 shots, alternating targets, shooting even #'d shots on one target and odd #'d shots on the other, and see if the mean POI is different.   That will tell you if there is something amiss in your bench technique.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the prompt replies.  Often times, like today, the second and following shots go back to point of aim, which is frustrating because you question whether or not it was just a bad bullet or a misread of the conditions, but when it happens consistently it starts to looking like there is something about the movement to the new target that is throwing things off. I like the idea of alternating shots, however, the question comes to mind as to how should one make the adjustment from one target to the other and which is better, moving up and down or left and right, to move from one target to the next? I assume any left or right change would involve at least a slight adjustment of the rear bag.
Joe S

IP Logged

portside

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 9:15am
Print Post  
The exact same thing happened to me at The ASSRA shoot at Etna Green this weekend. I was shooting the 200 yard .22 bench match, the first time I had 6-25's in a row then a 19 at 1:00, then later in the day I had shot 5-25's in a row and it did the same thing, a 19 at 1:00. Both of these were the first shot after moving to the next score target, what really makes that hurt is the first one was a non re-entry match, for that match we get 3 targets for score and turn the best one then, it is over. That is our only match that uses that specific combination. I am thinking one possibility is that I am kind of hard headed and I pretty well insist on shooting traditional type hardware, meaning in this case offhand stocks front and rear. If a shooter is using flat bottom wide stocks that still meet the rule book specs I think things stand a better chance of working this specific type problem out. One thing I did do was sliding the gun forward and back to attempt to bed the rifle into the rest then checking the sights then making any required sight changes, still happened. Really tick's a guy off!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I hang my targets from left to right starting with my sighter target and then my next two for score. If I hang one target under the other in a vertical line my point of impact will change and that first record shot becomes a hope and a prayer.  
Below is an example of how I hang my targets as being shown on my practice outing frame. And as I continue going from left to right my choosen point of impact will not change.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Below is a picture of my own bench setup and the rifle that I shoot. Never having shot a non traditional rifle over the past 23+ years I am not sure how a non traditional rifle might react. When moving from one target to the next.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I've caught myself putting A little pressure on the barrel,or the bag is stressed when I shift to the score target...did it at Spokane!!! lost two points on first shot......

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

portside

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I like what JLouis is saying here and I intend to give it a try along with resting my barrel on the front rest in place to resting on the forearm. Starting on the left, getting things settled in then moving to the right onto the score target sounds good to me. Needless to say starting from the right then indexing to the  left would give the same result.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: First shot blu
Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
It’s a mental problem, not mechanical. 

Our monthly offhand matches many shooters get first shot jitters and miss, 40 shot match in 10  shot relays it’s common to shoot the lowest score first relay.

What several of us have done is Tuesday practice  sessions run mini 10 shot matches 3-4 of them to drill avoiding first relay jitters. Couple of our shooters have a real first shot problem, for them we use practice sessions with one shot matches. Little cash on the line 25 cents even a dollar with a lot of good natured back and forth before starting increases pressure. 

Bench shooting it should work as well keeping  track of win or loss rates ratchets up the pressure too. Simple tick sheet hit or miss with center scored as a hit. Shoot 25 one shot matches each looking for one center better learning exercise than looking for groups when not in competition . Get in real competition able to shoot center first shot rest of the match takes care of itself. 

Put the ruler away practice shooting center every single shot my advise 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint