Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Recommendations (Read 4501 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations
Reply #30 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:35pm:
Joe,
Go look at your Spokane scores again.  It will make you feel better!

Jack

Thanks for the real time advice, Jack, but I think it might make my condition even worse. It will remind me that I used an ancient outdated rifle with a hundred plus year old barrel and an old used outdated two hundred dollar scope to post those scores. 
Not to mention the home made rifle rest and twenty year old blown out sandbags and the lousy Kowa spotting scope held up with a cheap Chinese tripod. The Redding powder measure I've been using since 1972. The list goes on and on. Whoa is me.  Embarrassed

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #31 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Now I'm feeling better.  Grin

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 3:38pm
Print Post  

Joe,

Maybe you should upgrade that equipment so the rest of us will have a better chance of winning.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #33 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
But Jack - Joe is a Traditional Shooter.
He prefers iron sights, and really only appreciates offhand shooting and has little interest in the new fangled scopes we use today.
Are you trying to Modernize Westerner?
What do you need a scope for when you can send your friends (worthy or unworthy) down range to sit in the pits to call your shots.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2021 at 4:41pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:27pm:
marlinguy wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:45am:
burntwater wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
I’ll get reamed for this but I personally think telling a fellow shooter or anybody for that matter looking for advice on equipment that you found Kowas or good spotting scopes for under $100.00 or $70 for that matter is not productive or helpful. Great stories but the guy is looking for real time honest to goodness help. I understand there are exceptional finds, and I’m sure you two have and continue to pull it off, but a lot of these stories belong in the treasure hunters archives. I’ll duck out now.

I think you're way off track myself. These aren't just "great stories", they're advice to the OP that there are other options to buying new, and paying too much for a quality scope.
I don't think that telling the OP to check out used options, vs. new is giving bad advice. But you go ahead and pay retail if that's what you prefer.

I'm still offended, hurt, cut to the bone, feeling unappreciated, humiliated, called on the carpet,   Embarrassed  

And I feel so empowered to learn the infamous Westerner has been brought to his knees a trembling hunk of single shot prowess in a field of silent waffles. I can live with that

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #35 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I'm impervious!   Grin

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Opinion worth what it cost from a guy that has too many spotting scopes.

Standard for most shooters is the largest objective lens Kowa you can afford with a fixed power eyepiece about 25 power. Higher power too fussy and limits field of view, no substitute for large objective. Avoid variable. Kowa probably best choice overall, they are not cheap.

Have owned several older Bushnells all good none expensive never attached to any of them. 

Used reasonable price and trouble free fixed power Gold Ring Leupold is what I recommend . Bought my first one 50 mm x 25 x at HP Silhouette nationals 25+ years ago used. Still have it and rides in my range bag all the time having it with me big advantage . Added the larger 60 mm x 20 latter it resolves better than the 25x50 but not as portable  . Either one often sells for less than 200 on eBay 300 is not too much to pay considering Leupold will service then free lifetime, never needed with mine. Don’t buy the very expensive gold ring variables or any of the foreign made Leupold scopes . The Leupolds were most useful flying to Raton for Silhouette nationals, easy to pack & good enough. Little one 25x50 mm went with me many places for game spotting bigger scopes not easy to take. Small scope don’t go over 20 power unless it’s a good glass though. 

However have a weakness for Unertl spotters. Have 4 and lost the bid on # 5 last weekend, a rare 20x53 “45” angle eyepiece in near perfect condition, it went for 520 dollars top dollar.

Big team 100 mm crazy expensive and takes two to carry it it’s the best scope I have ever used. 15 25 & missing the 32x eyepiece. 

63x24 Unertl probably best buy for a rifle shooter and if bought carefully just within your budget. Bought a rough looking optically & mechanically perfect 63x24 angle eyepiece under 200 off this forum recently. Real shooters used Unertl & they often have scars.

Unert Pistol scope 20x53 less expensive and a at times real bargain. Any of the Unertl scopes resolve better than the same objective and power modern Chinese scopes. Disadvantage Unertl  service if dropped or you bought a problem. Never had either happen.

Any scope half the resolution depends on the tripod.

Boats 

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2021 at 8:26am by boats »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #37 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:32am
Print Post  
I tape 9 lbs. of lead to each of my tripod legs.

It stabilizes the tripod in the wind and eliminates vibrations from the wind.

Also anchors the tripod and prevents it from blowing over in extreme winds.
I have seen many spotting scopes damaged from the tripod blowing over in extensive winds.

I also have a Manfrotto tripod with a high load head and an adjustable fourth leg that also improves its stability.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2021 at 7:41am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
On mounting 

My little Leupold is always packed with a compact Manfrotto fluid head tripod. Light reasonably stable and fast zero in on objects, even moving game. Sometimes portable is worth compromising other features. Manfrotto (former name Bogden) probably best of current manufacturers 

Unertl Pistol 20x. Mounts on a Freelands table top with extra counterweight under the legs. It will focus 10 meters something not all will do.

My Medium size Unertl scopes mount either on a Freelands scope stand, reasonably solid and able to stand close to the scope & self spot without coming out of position, often lash it to a shooting house post or rail. Or a Tilt All tripod, used when spotting other shooters, about the most stable tripod that’s portable. Used Tiltall a bargain compared to equal size new made.

Big Unertl tripod, built specifically for the 100 mm scope, weighs about 25 lbs. It’s used as a firing line scope available  to all competitors 

Different jobs different tools 

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:45am by boats »  

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 10:57am
Print Post  
get a celestron get the 80 or 100 mm sc0pe  60 is to small  they work fine for sil  or 200yd target rifle   art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I still use a 70's era Bushnell 10X30 Variable Armour Coated spotting scope on a home made mount. Cost me a $100.00 at the time at half the selling price. I can clearly see 200 yard 25 caliber bullet holes. Just as clearly as some of the high end Kowa's I have looked through over the years. Not sure how it might do beyond 200yds never had a competitive shooting need to go there.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2021 at 11:36am by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint