Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Recommendations (Read 4500 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Obviously, different applications are best served by scopes with different properties.   I regularly use 3 different scopes for (1) long range target, (2) metallic silhouette, and (3) benchrest.
There are two routes to high optical resolution.   First is to spend a LOT of money, 2nd is to get a very large objective.
Another consideration is how good your eyesight is.   The fixed-power eyepiece of a KOWA scope has greater resolving power than a variable eyepiece.   With poorer eyesight, however, I can see more detail in a larger image, tho that image has lower ultimate resolution.
There is no one simple answer......

CHRIS

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I know what you mean, Chris. A friend has a 60 series Kowa with the 25X and I much prefer it for BPCR to other guys' 80 series with the 27X.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
The old passed around Focal was used for all shooting, 200 to a 1000 yards. It was the sharpest clearest scope I ever had and I still kick myself for passing it along. At one time it was the only spotting scope Champions Choice sold. 

Few years now have been using a 600.00 dollar Kowa. I get by with it but just. Does not focus well. When I look through a fine scope it is very apparent how bad my Kowa is.  Everyone who looks through it asks me to come look through their scope.  It's bad. 

Now If I were shooting serous belly matches I would get a spotting scope with a paddle focus. I'm a hillbilly when it comes to high tech equipment. I care about what happens on the target not whether I have the latest most expensive gadget.  

350.00 bucks should buy a very nice used spotting scope. The furthest anyone will want to see bullet holes at a match is 200 yards. You can see a value spotter/marker with just about anything.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
My old Bushnell Spacemaster has been very good at 200 yds even with smallish bullet holes as long as the mirage is not too bad.  I was seeing 25 cal holes in the red at 200 at Spokane while others were complaining about their scopes.  It is taped at 60x now as the eyepiece is falling apart.  Several years back I bought a Konus based on recommendations on this forum and it was a POS.  Too much chromatic aberration to see much at 200.  I did look through Westerner's Kowa when he bought it and noticed that it was fuzzy, but figured if he was happy with it then who am I to complain.  Wink On a whim, I just bought a used Huicocy 20-60x scope on eBay for about $40 shipped. This was based on reviews of cheap scopes.  Totally useless at 200 yds.  I will fit the bill to have in my car to lend to shooters at the range who have to close everything down to see their bullet .223 bullet holes at 50 yds.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Well, for consideration, my 100 mm Unertl Team scope is “pretty fair”, but it is a bear to put in my truck and take to the range, so it usually stays home. What is “good enough” to take to the range is important.

IP Logged

Nimrod

O.S.O.K.

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks, everyone. I decided on a Celestron. Couldn't quite go the Regal, but got the 20-60X80mm. Thanks for all your input.

Anthony

If you need more than one shot, you need more practice!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
What model did you buy?

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Of course 60 mm scopes used in the Schuetzen Game work well at 200 yards but do not perform as well out to 550  yards for the Silhouette game. 
For the longer yardage you do need a larger focal area (80 mm) that transmits light better and you do need lens with good coatings to obtain sharper images for better clarity of bullet hits at longer yardages.

Before accepting someone recommendations for a scope find out at what yardage he normally uses it at plus how it performs under marginal conditions.

I purchased a Leupold scope which barely works for BPCRS Silhouette since it does not pick up bullet splashes for a lighter .40 caliber very well but does work better for the heavier .45 bullet splashes. 
I purchased the scope based on recommendations of big bore shooters. My mistake.
It was a $US 500 scope and is not sufficient for Silhouette competitions since it does not pick up the partial bullet hits on the edges of the silhouettes since its lens coatings are sub par and does not provide the clarity that some other scopes provide.

Many people feel their scopes are too fuzzy without understanding they work better at the 20X to 24X power when there is a mirage.
People keep cranking up the power and they are magnifying the mirage effect so your scope becomes excessively fuzzy. 
This happens even with the high end Swarovski scopes (which my shooting partner had) - so try turning down your power when you have mirage - because tuning the focus will not get rid of it at high power.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2021 at 12:19am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 9:15am
Print Post  
After reading lots of reviews and being on a VERY tight budget, I bought a Celestron Ultima80 (20-60 x 80).
Complete garbage at anything past 30x. Very disappointing.

IP Logged

powderhead

Reply #24 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Count me as another vote for KOWA.  I've had mine for 20 years at least now and very happy with it.  For the money it cost it is a good value.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Make sure you buy a good tripod or whatever you're going to use to hold the scope up. None of the scopes mentioned aren't worth a darn if they're constantly vibrating in a strong wind.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #26 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:45am
Print Post  
burntwater wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
I’ll get reamed for this but I personally think telling a fellow shooter or anybody for that matter looking for advice on equipment that you found Kowas or good spotting scopes for under $100.00 or $70 for that matter is not productive or helpful. Great stories but the guy is looking for real time honest to goodness help. I understand there are exceptional finds, and I’m sure you two have and continue to pull it off, but a lot of these stories belong in the treasure hunters archives. I’ll duck out now.

I think you're way off track myself. These aren't just "great stories", they're advice to the OP that there are other options to buying new, and paying too much for a quality scope.
I don't think that telling the OP to check out used options, vs. new is giving bad advice. But you go ahead and pay retail if that's what you prefer.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:45am:
burntwater wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
I’ll get reamed for this but I personally think telling a fellow shooter or anybody for that matter looking for advice on equipment that you found Kowas or good spotting scopes for under $100.00 or $70 for that matter is not productive or helpful. Great stories but the guy is looking for real time honest to goodness help. I understand there are exceptional finds, and I’m sure you two have and continue to pull it off, but a lot of these stories belong in the treasure hunters archives. I’ll duck out now.

I think you're way off track myself. These aren't just "great stories", they're advice to the OP that there are other options to buying new, and paying too much for a quality scope.
I don't think that telling the OP to check out used options, vs. new is giving bad advice. But you go ahead and pay retail if that's what you prefer.

I'm still offended, hurt, cut to the bone, feeling unappreciated, humiliated, called on the carpet,   Embarrassed   

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Joe,
Go look at your Spokane scores again.  It will make you feel better!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint