Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Spotting Scope Recommendations (Read 4483 times)
Nimrod

O.S.O.K.

Spotting Scope Recommendations
Jul 12th, 2021 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I need some spotting scope recommendations. My old scope is no longer a viable option. I will use it for BPCR Silhouette. Ideas?

If you need more than one shot, you need more practice!

IP Logged

Nimrod

O.S.O.K.

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Less than 350 if possible.

If you need more than one shot, you need more practice!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
The best spotting scope I ever owned was a 20 power Focal. Clear as a bell and cheap. My son has it now.  Just purchased one for 70.00 off fleabay. Hope it's as good as Johns.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I have two Kowa spotting scopes, and bought both of them used for cheap. One a compact 20x that's better than 45x or 60x I've owned. The other a 25x angle eyepiece that's a full size that I like slightly better. Both were well under $100 each, and the 20x was only $20.
Never bought a new spotting scope, as there's never been a shortage of quality used ones around for sale cheaper.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
I’ll get reamed for this but I personally think telling a fellow shooter or anybody for that matter looking for advice on equipment that you found Kowas or good spotting scopes for under $100.00 or $70 for that matter is not productive or helpful. Great stories but the guy is looking for real time honest to goodness help. I understand there are exceptional finds, and I’m sure you two have and continue to pull it off, but a lot of these stories belong in the treasure hunters archives. I’ll duck out now.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
burntwater wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 3:34pm:
I’ll get reamed for this but I personally think telling a fellow shooter or anybody for that matter looking for advice on equipment that you found Kowas or good spotting scopes for under $100.00 or $70 for that matter is not productive or helpful. Great stories but the guy is looking for real time honest to goodness help. I understand there are exceptional finds, and I’m sure you two have and continue to pull it off, but a lot of these stories belong in the treasure hunters archives. I’ll duck out now.

I don't think we deserved that scolding.  How dare you sir!  Grin

So I'll continue. My old shooting pardner Chuck purchased the best spotting scope money could buy. Thousands of dollars for his new scope. He cussed it just as much as all the other scopes he owned. Throwing money at a problem is not always a solution. Another old story, dang!  Angry

So what kind of advice would you like us to give?  

I can't wait to get that NOS Focal spotting scope. Still in the original box with the tripod.  I agree with Vall, yes there are many good used spotting scopes to be had at a bargain.   

Okay, what advice should we give?

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Nimrod wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 1:27pm:

Check out the Celestron Regal M2 65mm spotting scope. Likely run a bit more than the $350, but is an excellent piece for the money. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I always check out the Sniper's Hide Forum.  Those guys want the latest technology and buy higher-end stuff, wanting to move fast so they readily negotiate.  I searched back more than a year to find safe-queens someone didn't move.  Got a nice Vortex 20-60X85 spotting scope and   a Razor 4.5-25x56 because they went from MOA to Mrad.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Well asking me for advice on optics for the BPCR Silhouette game would be futile as I have no hands on experience. But you two gentlemen have no doubt forgot more than I’ll ever know in these sports. My thinking would be more along the lines of not so much locating a steal but with all your experience on the line to pass on your advice on what works and what doesn’t. What you see being used by shooters you know and respect cause personally I’d follow tips from guys like you over advertising almost every time. 

There are a lot of old timers like us falling out of the shooting  sports every day ( I was primarily Bullseye until I found this group ) so their gear and equipment is changing hands constantly. A lot of the shooters of the caliber found here at ASSRA want there equipment to remain in the sport if possible so the OP needs to get out and circulate or buy new and good scopes of good quality for long range work ain’t being had cheap.   

Now that I’ve been lightly reamed how bout some lube.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Joe,
I have an old Focal spotting scope that I use for indoor archery, it worked exceptionally well there, but the OP says he's using it for BPCR Silly's, for the 200 yard ram in 22 it's right at the edge if you have good eyes, not so good for old eyes.  If he's shooting the 500m ram with CF - the 20x Focal is tough even with good, young eyes.   Wink  If he decides that he wants to shoot BPTR and poke holes in paper, by the best glass you can get, you'll never regret it.

ThTx
It's not the best choice, as with anything, more $$ and good research can get you better results.  From the old Focal, I graduated to a 20-60x by 80mm Leupold that got me by for several years, they run in the $350 - $500 range -similar to this one on eBay - item # 324678946253
I moved on to a Vortex because it had an MOA grid in it, the glass is slightly better than my Leupold, but for seeing when it really matters there are better.  Roll Eyes If you stay in the game very long you will probably move on to the better ones yet.  Don't ask how I know...  Low light or difficult conditions really change the game.
Aging isn't kind to one's vision and good glass like Leica and Swarovski come with a substantial price tag.   Cost makes one pucker and clench but the view is awesome and it keeps old farts in the game.
Just my 2¢

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Nimrod wrote on Jul 12th, 2021 at 1:27pm:

Under 350 is going to be a problem getting a qood quality scope new. Might be a bargain pop up on a good used scope occasionally.
A solid stand is mandatory to get the most out of any scope and that's going to be 200 or more.
The Vortex 16 x binoculars actually work well for spotting silhouette, and midrange, but even that combined with a solid stand is going to blow your budget.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
You know that these days with computer designed and constructed equipment so common and multi coated lenses the norm, it's possible that, barring lucking in to a bargain basement Kowa, something like a Konus 80 or 100 which sell for less than $240 new would be entirely adequate in the less than $350 field for beginning use. Or, you could just shoot with someone who has a nice scope;-)

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Here is something pretty close to your price to consider. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
You will see guys with a pair of telescopes mounted and this is a little less expensive and you may  be surprised just how much you can see with them.
Sam

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
In a perfect buyers world using high tech computerized grinding and coatings the price should come down. Kind of like banking charges once they went from hand to computer processing all those charges related to personnel   should go away right. WRONG. Quality optical glass suitable for grinding to truly exact specs is expensive and not getting any cheaper. Schott and a couple of Japanese makers have the market sewed up like Tel Aviv has diamonds. Coatings do not correct inferior glass they just make it easier to use. The problem, or blessing, is that 99% of the optical users are incapable of discerning really high quality optical resolution. Test equipment can but most human eyes can’t.  So maybe we don’t need such precise quality ?  Think wine testers.

IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2021 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
About 1995 I bought a Kowa 60 with two eyepieces 25 and 40
$365 to my door.
Still have it still use it.
Always been very good glass

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3