Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) primer choices (Read 1688 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

primer choices
Jul 9th, 2021 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I've been mainly using large pistol primers in my 40-60 and 40-65 rifles shooting only BP. I have  tried some large rifle primers such  as CCI LRP BR2,  Sellier & Bellot large rifle, Fiocchi LR, none seemed to work  as well as the large  pistol primers in either of my rifles.
My question is, what others might be worth a try ?
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: primer choices
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2021 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Federal 210's might be worth a try. But be aware of the fact that Large Pistol Primers are shorter in length and I have seen a couple breech blocks damaged beyond repair. This from the constant hammering effect of the large pistol  primers moving back. So just try to keep an eye on the face of your breech block as you don't want to discover any unrepairable damage before it is to late. What can happen over time is the face of the breech block will develop a recessed dimple on the face. The spent primer can fhen move back far enough into that created dimple as it continues to get even deeper and you won't be able to open the breech block at some point in time. Folks will say this does not or will not occur but I have witnessed two destroyed breech block faces in my own group so just keep an eye it.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:59am by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 12:42am
Print Post  
John, with black powder?

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 2:28am
Print Post  
You might try RWS primers if you can find any, they were the best in my testing followed by Herters then Winchester.
LD1

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Oneatatime breech seating and using Smokeless.
Here is the link to the primer specs. showing the depth difference between the large pistol and large rifle. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:15am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:01am
Print Post  
You might also try some large rifle magnum primers if you happen to have any.

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I've been using federal large pistol primers for a decade with BP and use a primer swage to make the primer pocket  to fit large pistol primers, works like a champ.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Mick, all I have ever used in my black powder rifles is Federal LP Match (not counting a test I made against LR - LR lost).

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
For match accuracy using black powder, Remington 2-1/2 large pistol, Federal large pistol match and CCI BRII are my top three and I have tested them all. CCI 200 large rifle are the same as the BRII's but I am told by Mike V., the machines are slowed down and extra care is used to make the BR-II's. I have found the CCI 200 work as well but I use the BR's just because I can.  If I only had the CCI-200's I would use them in this time of shortage.

I hear from other people they like other brands but the above three are far and away what I hear the best about from those other riflemen that can put their shots in the middle, which agrees with my experience.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Same here ..... My BP rifles all run with Rem 2 1/2's, and I know that one has 12-14,000 rounds thru it.   I don't shoot the smokeless Schuetzen rifles so much anymore, but have always used pistol primers in those also, with no problems.   

This leads me to think that the damage reported may occur mainly with smokeless, or else with BP breeches with inferior metallurgy. From reading Burrard's shotgun books, I am interested in pressure "waves" in ammunition, and have wanted to design some experiments to make investigations in that area.   My math skills are not up to modeling the adiabatic compression aspects, so haven't gotten very far with it.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
A friend pitted the face of his Miller DeHaas breech block using pistol primers in rifle cases. 
He used light smokeless powder loads in a Schuetzen rifle but the shallower seated pistol primers slamming back against the new modern steel breech block caused major pitting. 
The breech block face ended up with a concave surface that had to be welded over and machined flat again.
It can also happen using BP (Shiloh Sharps insists you do not use pistol primers in their rifles) but it may take a few more shots to show as much damage.

In both my .40-60 Maynard and my .40-65 WCF I use Remington 9 1/2 M primers to reduce fouling. 
Remington primers have been shown to have a hotter and longer flash than the other primers - which helps reduce BP fouling.
The magnum primer works just like a duplex load (not allowed in the Silhouette competitions) to help eliminate unburned powder being left in the barrel. 
But when doing so I place a newspaper wad inside the case over the primer channel (to stop Black Powder packing into the channel). 
Packed BP in the channel acts like a fuse which changes ignition patterns between shots which then affects accuracy.

Testing trials showed group sizes were half the size whenever I used loads with the newspaper wad over the primer channel.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2021 at 1:23pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Jul 9th, 2021 at 8:43pm:
I've been mainly using large pistol primers in my 40-60 and 40-65 rifles shooting only BP.
Mike. 

I've been using pretty much any LPs as that is what I've been able to find. I've had good luck with Rem 9 1/2 and the best for me has been CCI 200, which I have not been able to find for at least a year. I shoot a 40-65 with BP, only, in BPCR & BPTR. Its not shooting bad with LPs, but I would go back to CCI 200 if I could find them.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 1:50pm:
Mick B wrote on Jul 9th, 2021 at 8:43pm:
I've been mainly using large pistol primers in my 40-60 and 40-65 rifles shooting only BP.
Mike. 

I've been using pretty much any LPs as that is what I've been able to find. I've had good luck with Rem 9 1/2 and the best for me has been CCI 200, which I have not been able to find for at least a year. I shoot a 40-65 with BP, only, in BPCR & BPTR. Its not shooting bad with LPs, but I would go back to CCI 200 if I could find them.

Last time there was a SHORTAGE of primers I went and got 10k of each large/small pistol/rifle.  Down to 3k of small rifle now.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Some of you might like to see some of the differences in the various primers and why some work and others may not. They are not all alike and here is the link below. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention I also tried FED GM215M Large Magnum Rifle Match Primers as well as the ones mentioned.
With my CPA Stevens I seat the pistol primers through paper so they are flush with the base of the case as if I didn't I was getting occasional misfires, requiring a second hammer strike, I still do this out of habit with the Meacham 40-65 just out of habit as in the Meacham it may not really be required.
I have also tried using a disc of tracing inside the case over the flash channel in case powder was filling the channel and perhaps causing a sort of fuse effect, There was no difference that I could detect.
I will try my local gun shop for some of the primers suggested if they have them in stock, and then report back.
Mike.   
Thanks again for all the suggestions, as they say here, you never know till you give it a go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint