Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ccjohnson 22-300 hex barrel firearm (Read 849 times)
Stoolie63

Ccjohnson 22-300 hex barrel firearm
Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone,I'm looking for information on a low wall firearm 22-3000 stamped cc johnson and after removing the fore stock I found stamped numbers 40243 16,I know little about it other than it has dies for reloading but don't know what it can handle as far as loads.Im a rookie so can I get brass? Loading info? Bullets?When was this built? Help please,Stoolie 63

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Ccjohnson 22-300 hex barrel firearm
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Brass is made from. 25-20 ss Brass.
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 9:50am
Print Post  
What is the Serial Number on this Lowall? The 22-3000 can be loaded to some serious pressures. Not sure if a Lowall should be shot that hot. I had a CC Johnson
in 22-3000 on a Hiwall but it was a first year Hiwall with a small diameter Barrel shank. Now this what I am warning you about Low Walls also had the same small Diameter Barrel shank. It would be possible to take a small shank barrel off of a Hiwall and assemble it on a Lowall. I am uncomfortable with 22-3000 on a Lowall
action. The Grandson of CC Johnson is here and has in the past been able to supply information from his Grandfathers shop records. You would have to supply him with the numbers from under the Forend and he can look them up and tell you when it was built and I believe the Action. I would think that CC Johnson would not have built a 22-3000 on a Lowall reciever. He may also have made or sent these records to ASSRA so the archive guy might be able to do the same thing for you. I have not seen any postings from the Grandson in quite a while. 
So if you do find some 25-20 SS brass to make over and want to shoot this Rifle approach the loading with caution. HTH FITZ, OLD TUCK.  Undecided

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 11:48am
Print Post  
I'm with Fitz.  Too easy to use a load from the old manuals that would crack a Low Wall action.  Advise removing the barrel, put it on something like a High Wall.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Good advice there. I shoot two R2 Lovell's and a .22 Maximum Lovell and wouldn't think of containing them in a LW. Then there's the brass issue - if you're dealing with old vintage brass I would strongly suggest keeping the performance level down to .22 Hornet levels or lower, as 70-90 year old brass is not what it used to be. And anneal the shoulder/neck areas. And switch to B.E.L.L. or Jamison (Captech) brass if you can find it or Bertram if you can't..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint