Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lubing a Hudson bullet (Read 912 times)
Premod70
Oldtimer

Lubing a Hudson bullet
Jun 28th, 2021 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Good day, the Hudson bullet has struck my interest and before jumping on the order button I would like any and all comments on this type bullet to be loaded as a fixed match type round but first, how do you lube this bullet?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Lubing a Hudson bullet
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I pan lube. Pushing them out base first never causes any lube loss. And I also use it fixed or breech seated. I've even sized some down for smaller groove barrels.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I do the same as Vall. Also, if I'm using a really sticky lube I may run them through a Lee size that just misses sizing the bullet, but slicks off the lube because i cannot wipe it without pulling some off. Works for fixed or breech seating use.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
If you are going or want to size bullets like the Hudsons or bullets with any significant Steps or Tapers Pan lube them first. Then when you do  the sizing the lube supports the Bullet and it does not deform. Hydraulics of the lube wins out. 
I have sized Postell bullets from .460 diameter down to .451 diameter to get them to load like a Paper Patch bullet and they were beautifull and shot great with heavy loads of Black Powder. HTH FITZ, OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Best way of all to lube tapered or stepped bullets is with a lube pump.  Cut a die to match the contours of the bullet, push it in, squirt in the lube, push the bullet back out.  Very neat and quick.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
What Chris said.  The Hudson bullet was designed to be shot as cast and breech seated.  Lubing is best done in a hand held lube pump with an insert precisely cut for that specific bullet so no sizing occurs. 

If you are going to size it to a single diameter and shoot it from a fixed cartridge, you will be defeating the purpose of the Hudson design.  There are other Ideal moulds of similar design and weight that will work perfectly fine for what you describe. I would suggest you might try the 321232 for starters. 

Froggie

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Great variety of methods, thanks fellows. I had thought at first I would wash the entire bullet with liquid alox and once dried run the bottom bands through a lube/sizer for a shot of solid lube.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint