Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ignorance is bliss (Read 3041 times)
MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ignorance is bliss
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:05am:
Leaving some solvents in the bore too long results in corrosion pits from the solvent dissolving  the metal. Stainless steel metal can also corrode since some solvents interact with the sulphur impurities that are present in stainless steel. People do not read the instructions on solvent bottles which frequently say not to leave the solvent in the barrel for any length of time. There is a saying: More barrels are ruined by cleaning or not cleaning than by shooting. Of course once the barrel has numerous corrosion pits then the lead adamantly adheres to the barrel due to the surface roughness. In this case the corrosion could very well have resulted from not properly cleaning the barrel after shooting black powder at some point in it's life. Normally BP corrosion would be discolored darkened pits but yours are shining since you may have cleaned the rust/patina out. Yes your pictures show corrosion pits and not leading.

Actually, in 99.9% of the cases it's not the solvents that are the culprit, but the fact that corrosion developed under the fouling in the barrel. And when you have an efficient cleaner that removes the fouling, it gets blamed for the corrosion...

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
One of my pet peeves is borescopes people get them and are shocked at the boulders in their bore and start cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. They are overcleaning and wearing out barrels and generally doing more harm than good. 
Leading is one thing if you have leading either your lead is too hard or your lube isn't up to the job or both.
A cast bullet barrel isn't like a jacketed bullet barrel. With jacketed bullets your bullet is sliding down the bore with nothing inbetween the jacket anf the bore. Little bits of copper are torn off and stick to the bore these must be removed. 
In cast bullet barrels the bullet travels down the bore on a thin film of lube. As that bullet passes down the bore it irons some lube into the pores of the metal this is natural and a good thing. Its what the old-timmers called seasoning a barrel its also the reason when you change .22 rimfire ammunition the gun doesn't shoot well until you shoot 50 to 100 rounds of the new ammo down the bore. 
When you clean the bore down to the bare metal and remove every scrap of lubrication its like running your car with no oil. Clean your bore until you get the carbon out and then stop when all you see is some cooked lube on your patch. if you have cheated your bore squeaky clean at least run a patch with lube down your bore so your now starting out dry.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Good advice 40 Rod. 
Most but maybe not all bore scopes are 20X and what one sees is magnified more than one might actually realize. If seen with absolutely no magnification one would not see such defects that are typically found in all of the various barrels. 
In regards to cleaning lead and alloy bullet barrels I use JB Bore cleaner and I wipe it the same as one would do a babies behind and until it is clean. I also do ten strokes for the first third of the barrel. Five for the second and two for the last and I never let the patch exit the muzzle. The fouling does have abrasives in it so over time I am actually creating a choke in the bore. If the patch goes out the end of the muzzle over time it will create a bell at the muzzle and the best in accuracy will slowly be lost. This I learned from my dear friend and a past barrel maker Barry Darr. Also if the carbon is not continually removed it can also create a carbon ring just ahead of the throat and accuracy will be also be lost. This I have seen with my own eyes and have also removed for a close a friend and its a real bitch to get rid of it should it occur. He rifle's accuracy fell off substantially and he couldn't figure out why. He took it back out the range the very next day after I removed the carbon ring using JB Bore cleaner only and the rifles accuracy was completely restored. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint