Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ignorance is bliss (Read 3031 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 25th, 2021 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Thought I was cleaning my rifles well. Got a bore scope for Father’s Day, horrible surprise bad lead fouling. So guys, share your secrets for removing lead, please.
Mike

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Ignorance is bliss
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Solvents are slow and work slowly but the best one I have used to remove stubborn lead deposits is:

Kleenbore No.10 Copper Cutter

- Which cannot be bought in Canada anymore because they do not include French on the label.

And with the bore scope you will find none of the solvents remove carbon fouling.

JB Bore paste works well to remove the carbon fouling.

Alberta Schuetzen Lube has a metal conditioner in it to reduce lead being able to stick so hard to the barrel.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Have you tried this and then use a bore scope to check for carbon?
I would like to know results.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Charlie

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I have started useing Bore Tech Eliminator to remove copper fouling. I have Kroil Oil on the way.
Mike

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.   If the rifle is shooting well, does it really matter what an over magnified bore scope shows?  I have an original 40 caliber muzzle loader that shoots pretty well.   Started stripping patches so took it to a friend who had a bore scope.    Geeze, really makes the bore look like hell.   Decided it didn't really matter as long as the target looked good.

George

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Mike,
I switched, or should I say coerced into switching from Kroil to Gunzilla.  Following the purchase of a Teslong scope a while ago it showed some leading that my favorite wasn't getting out.  This G stuff has been impressive for lead, copper and even carbon to some degree.  The other thing I've noticed is it conditions the barrel after using it for a while - cleanup seems to be easier and quicker.   
On a side note, I've had a bit of a fetish the past 3-4 years for 22 rf's and one of the rules I've went by is don't clean them until they quit performing.  With the right ammo, that can be 500 shots.  I have one in particular that when it's accuracy started to wane, a scrub with my old standby cleaned what I thought was quite well.  The scope's view really surprised me.  At that point I tried the G-stuff, it took a little bit of effort, some time soaking and scrubbing to really get it clean.  On several of my builds I've notice the rule of one shot for each inch of barrel after cleaning before things settle has been the case.  The barrel in the sample test gets a swab about every 200 rounds- now accuracy and velocity become consistent following half a dozen shots on its 30" barrel.  The view with the scope has really been impressive.   
The first CF that's getting the treatment is a 40-70SS I recently posted about.  It has some serious fouling issues but things are appearing to improve since I've switched. 
I'd appreciate updates on what's working for you.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I use Birchwood Casey's Lead Remover cloth. Buy it in sheet packs, and cut patches to the size I need. Put them on a jag and use a patch under the cloth if it's not tight enough. Needs to be a really tight fit in the bore to work well. It takes the lead out in shards shaped like the rifling grooves. And a 2nd patch polishes old bores to nearly new condition.
Only about $5 a pack for the cloth sheets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
2X on the Gunzilla.  Started using it several years ago and never looked back.  Bought a gallon can sometime ago and use it on everything.  The gallon can really cut the unit price down. Doesn’t seem to be toxic on anything. Haven’t tried it on BP, but don’t shoot it anyways.
Rifles fired with jacketed projectiles are “wet-patched” before storing. When used again, a quick wet/dry patch removes the fouling quickly.
Good stuff!
Mike.

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Read the posts on "Get the lead out"

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I've followed that post, used most of the methods described at least a few times.  Turpentine from a old fella that had a still is what my father shared with me when he was alive, also a chemistry teacher in his younger days - mercury works well for lead but none of this is to be taken lightly, he also used carbon tet like it was water for cleaning too - wonderful wetting agent.  The electrolysis system from Outers is sitting in the cabinet and when I feel the desire or the want-to I drag it out - it's results are absolutely certain, but a PITA.  For some of the real problem guns, I switched to shooting paper patched bullets for a thousand rounds.  That process polished the bore and unless my casts greasers fell short on lube I found I could go back to them with no issues.  (I haven't found any pleasure at all trying to diaper a core for a 22 LR, let alone loading for this caliber.)   
The Gunzilla, is a vegetable based cleaning agent and one thing I did find in an unintended situation, the stuff creeps better than some of the old penetrating oil recipe's - I'll go in to that story if someone's really interested.  What it does to particles in the bore is surprising and it's a simple process, easy on your body parts too.   
Some more of my 2¢ - almost up to a nickle's worth...
Greg

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Shiloh Rifle's Bore Solvent is probably the best lead remover I have ever used.  Just a tight patch soaked was removing strips of lead without soaking.

John Rigby

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
This is the bore of an Austrian Alexander Henry. I don’t believe it is leading, it has resisted everything I have tried. Copper chore boy, steel wool, bore tech Eliminator, MC 7, any ideas? Is it corrosion?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mike

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Wow.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2021 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Looks like you've got the corroded area as clean as you can get it.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I have a M33 rolling block that has a small area in the barrel that looks just like it, I scrubbed and scrubbed but never had it look that good, it's an area about 6 inches in front of the throat, not a normal place.  Where is this area on your barrel?   How does it shoot?
Greg

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Leaving some solvents in the bore too long results in corrosion pits from the solvent dissolving  the metal. Stainless steel metal can also corrode since some solvents interact with the sulphur impurities that are present in stainless steel. People do not read the instructions on solvent bottles which frequently say not to leave the solvent in the barrel for any length of time. There is a saying: More barrels are ruined by cleaning or not cleaning than by shooting. Of course once the barrel has numerous corrosion pits then the lead adamantly adheres to the barrel due to the surface roughness. In this case the corrosion could very well have resulted from not properly cleaning the barrel after shooting black powder at some point in it's life. Normally BP corrosion would be discolored darkened pits but yours are shining since you may have cleaned the rust/patina out. Yes your pictures show corrosion pits and not leading.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2021 at 12:14am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint