Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dixie Gun Works 1874 Sharps (Read 4599 times)
Rolling4

Dixie Gun Works 1874 Sharps
Jun 23rd, 2021 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hello. I am looking at getting a Pedersoli 1874 Lightweight/Hunter Sharps from Dixie Gun Works. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has purchased one of these lately and can provide feedback. I own a Pedersoli  rolling block and I’m not worried about the quality of build but I’m wondering where they cut corners to be able to offer it for a lower price. I don’t want to order it and be disappointed by poor finish/bluing when it arrives.

Thanks for any input.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Dixie Gun Works 1874 Sharps
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
My shooting partner bought two new Pedersoli.

Both had uneven machined rifle bores and they shot very poorly - and Pedersoli never honored their warranty to fix the poor machining.
Pedersoli would not respond back on his numerous attempts to contact them.

Partner was happy with the actions but he ended up barreling the rifles with custom RKS replacement barrels at an increased cost. 
Between the purchase of the Pedersoli and the cost to replace barrels he could have purchased a high quality Shiloh Sharps.

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I have read countless times about how great their barrels are and that they are a relative bargain, but the many visible deviations from what a '74 should look like are enough to prevent me from considering one.
Why they make such clumsy, poorly shaped stocks and forends is beyond me,it would take no more effort to get them right.

I did shoot one many years ago belonging to a friend and came away from it thinking the sear had not been hardened, trigger pull changed from shot to shot.Really gave me a bad impression.

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
between my friends and me we had 4 of the Dixie Pedersoli 1874 Sharps, Cal. 40-65
the one I had the barrel was .399 bore, .407 Groove, Freebore/throat was at .415, needless to say with .410 bullets the thing leaded badly, opened a RCBS mold to .416, gun shot well with Black or Smokeless

only thing broke on it was a Lever spring, about 2-3000 rnds before I sold it, shoulder will not take the recoil any longer, was a good value when I bought mine, 850.00 IIRC, at the time they had Actions set up for 45-70 minus the barrel for 600.00

IP Logged

Fogman

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 10:01am
Print Post  
You would be FAR better off looking at some of the auction sites like Gunbroker or Proxibid for a Shiloh Sharps. You can get a real American made hand crafted 1874 for not much more than a new Pedersoli. I bought a Pedersoli once when I first started shooting black powder - I didn't even shoot it - I resold it and bought a Shiloh on an auction. Killed my buffalo with it and I shoot 1000 yard matches with my target Shiloh. No comparison, no compromises.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Sometimes you can get a used Dhiloh for less than a new Italian one.   Last year I picked up a really nice Shiloh #1 in 40-70 at a really good price ($2000).   If I were to order one new, this one came mighty close to what I would get.   It also came with a lot of new brass, used brass, bullets, dies and other things.   Since I already had a 40-70, I didn't need any of the accessories and sold them off.   Net cost of the Shiloh was ended up being around $1500!   Darn hard to beat.   They are out there, it just takes time to find them.

In my mind there are three kinds of Sharps Rifles:  Originals, Shilohs, all others.   I have no interest whatsoever in the third option because, generally, you end up not saving any money and getting a lot of frustration  with one.  But that's just my take.   

George

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Another side thought is the number of used Shilohs for sale at $1500 are few and far between compared to a Dixie at $750. Plenty of cheap used Italian 1874’s out there as well.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I have no first hand knowledge of the Sharps offered by Dixie.  You get what you pay for.   

George

IP Logged

Rolling4

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the feedback. I was kind of expecting more forum members to have had experience (good or bad) with this specific sharps model due to the 1225 price. Obviously the Shiloh sharps seem to be the overwhelming favorite but I question if I’ll ever be able to swing spending  1800-2500 on one gun that will split time with my rolling block and probably only get shot 100 rounds a year.

Thanks again

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Try one of these: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BudHyett

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
My first Sharps rifle was from EMF which I believe is the same Italian manufacturer as Dixie. The action face was .015 out of square to the centerline of the barrel threads. There was only enough windage adjustment to zero at 100 yards. I took it back to the shop, they had received an original Sharps in the meantime. I traded and was very happy. Unfortunately, I traded the original Sharps six months before "Quigley Down Under" came out and the value tripled. 

I'd save my money or buy this with thirty day inspection rights.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2021 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Well, my first Sharps was also an original.   Hartford rifle in Caliber 44-77 but the serial number of barrel didn't match that of the receiver.   Bore was pretty bad.   Cost me $119.95!!   Took it down to Ward Koozer in Springfield (?), Oregon, and he sleeved the chamber then rebored it to 45-70 for $40.   That rifle really shot!! I stuck what I thought was a rediculous price on it at a gunshow and someone snatched it up.  That was probably around 1967 or'68.  Oh well.

George

IP Logged

forshoes

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
My experience is a bit different.  I purchased the Dixie Sharps Target model and have been satisfied with it from day one.

The fit and finish are great and for me it shoots good.  The sights on this one are not really target grade, but for me it has been a good starting point.

I have not yet tried black powder loads though

IP Logged

Rolling4

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies and input. Since my first post I’ve seen a few of the lower priced Dixie sharps models listed 
on auction sites and after reviewing the pics of actual guns the fit and finish appeared to be well done.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Buy quality...cry once

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint