Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tang sight sources (Read 1846 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Tang sight sources
Jun 17th, 2021 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I know sources for sights have been mentioned here before but don’t seem to be able to find them.  Can someone please list them for me?  I should say: other than ebay.   
Maybe somebody here can help.  I’m looking for what sight was used on top the extension of a #7 rolling block and a source for it.  I am thinking it is probably a standard Lyman sight less the base but may be wrong.   I also need what the front was.
Thanks, Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Tang sight sources
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  
The tang sight was a Lyman, but with the special base. So if you found a Lyman for any rifle that has a very short staff it could be put on a #7 base and be a good replacement. Only option here is a good used Lyman, and since you'll only use the staff could be found on Ebay pretty easily. If Ebay is out for you, then try Gunbroker.
Front sights varied from a simple Rocky Mountain sight, to a number of special order sights like a Lyman globe, or combination sight, or Beach combination sight. But like most Remingtons of the era, I believe they used a larger dovetail up front, so finding a correct sight may be a bit tougher if you want a good used sight. But places like MVA offer front combination sights, or globe sights with the wider dovetail. Usually around .467", but check yours to be sure.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Other than the special base, the No. 7s I've seen appeared to have a Lyman # 1 sight with a short staff, usually a standard one, though at least one had the special # 47 windage-adjustable staff.  In any case, while I'm not sure what you mean by "the front". my go-to sources (speed never being important) are eBay and oldgunsights.com.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Bill, I was not clear that I need a front sight also.
I also did not mention that this is a new build so nothing is cut as yet.  I’m cutting the dovetail for the rear sight today, which I can do because I have the dimensions, and will be making the sight base coming up but would like the sight in hand so I can fit it correctly to the new base.  My issue was not knowing what staff height I needed although figured it was something short.  Looks like I’ll be looking for a #1 with the 47 as an option, might be nice to have some windage adjustment.
I have no problem with ebay, it’s just that I was aware of that one.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
To insure you have enough tang elevation, do a calculation of the proper front sight height (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
To insure you have enough tang elevation, do a calculation of the proper front sight height (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The issue with a #7 is not ensuring you have enough elevation, it's ensuring you don't have too much! Some Lyman staffs have a taller staff, and also a taller knurled collar, designed for larger framed rifles. So if you don't have the very shortest collar and staff on a #7 you'll end up with it not going low enough to avoid shooting high at most distances. 
Take a look at this No. 7 at auction, and you'll see how stubby the rear sight is.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Ya Vall, you hit the proverbial nail on the head!  That’s been my concern.  Since I will be making the unusual base I will be able to vary the height somewhat but still want to get the correct upper sight if possible.  Looking at photos and measuring as close as I can I think the sight needs to be around and inch tall from the center of the lower hole to the center of the sighting hole in it’s lowest setting.  I did send and email to Mike at oldgunsights asking what he knows and may gave available. 
Please keep the thought and information coming, it’s all helpful.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Think it's Tony Maddox at Old Gun Sights Bob. But he often has had a #7 for sale, and may have one he could even measure the sight for you?

Tony at Original Sight Co.-edit
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2021 at 4:09pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
In my experience, the most common "target" front sight for the No. 7 is a Beach.

As for the rear sight, Vall is exactly right that it's a stubby little thing.  Not having Stroebel's gun sight book or any early-enough Remington or Lyman catalogs. I turned to Rowe's American Gun Sights book.  Therein is reprinted a page from a Lyman catalog that lists the No. 7's tang sight as being stamped "R.S.".  UNFORTUNATELY, while Rowe does show a very clear photo of the sight at about 2-3 times normal size, it's one of the very few sights he does not list a "staff height" for.   So based on similar sights he does size, my guess is that the No. 7's "staff height" is approximately 1.20".  But as Vall says, there is a good chance that Tony Maddox, owner of The Original Sight Co. website, will be able to help you out as much as you need.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  Maybe I have the wrong place, it lists R.I. (Mike) Richards as the contact in Pelican Rapids, MN

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
bob,  the tang sight used on the #7 was made by lyman specifically for that gun.and seems to have been made in the quantity for those guns only around 350. in 30 years  i have only heard of 1 or maybe 2 correct ones loose and not on a #7. one #7 was special ordered scoped only and the sight was not installed. what we believe is that sight is still in the original box and in a sight collection.i have never had a chance to buy one of these sights,i would jump at the chance.i recently sold the 2 #7's i had .so no help there.good luck.   tony <><   the original sight company.

IP Logged

Bnelson

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Bob,
     Here is a close up shot of mine on my #7.  As you can see, it is stamped MSA, which is the early Marble Arms.  Hopefully the scale will give you an idea of how tall it needs to be. 
Bruce

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 11:42am
Print Post  
That's absolutely wonderful, Bruce!  With such a specialized and likely limited market, I had long presumed that only Lyman made sights for the No. 7.  Then here you come with an appropriately-marked Marble's sight ("MSA" stands for "Marble's Safely Axe", not "Marble's Small Arms" as some suppose).  May even the trickles of new knowledge never run dry!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 11:44am
Print Post  
one sold on ebay a number of mounths back Ken

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Well, I want to thank everyone.  Bruce, yes the photo is a big help but I’m not sure what I’m going to do now on this gun.  I thought there would be a standard model sight that fit it!  I have Lyman, on a gun, it looks like I need to dig out and study.  I had that sight completely disassembled because it would not extend or retract the staff but don’t remember how everything works anymore.  It seems like I remember a bunch of tiny ball bearing in it thoigh.  Also am wondering if I could take an existing sight and change the staff and barrel lengths?
Sorry for the delayed response, was out of town for the weekend. 
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint