Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Where have all the primers gone? (Read 4981 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Where have all the primers gone?
May 24th, 2021 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
For umpteen years now I have been using Federal large and small rifle primers but since before Christmas no one in New Zealand has any large rifle primers of any sort except magnum for sale.
Now down to my last two hundred.
Surely panic buying and hoarding for that rainy day must be over by now?
After writing this my local gun shop now has some.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2021 at 7:41pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Where have all the primers gone?
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, it’s in full swing again. Of nearly 50 different 25 cal bullets listed on Grafs website, 2 are in stock.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2021 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Manufacturer's are saying all primers are now currently being used to manufacture their own ammunition. The demand for ammunition has simply been overwhelming and they are still trying to catch up. Firearms sales have also been at an all time high once again and thus the need for more ammunition and they are now trying produce enough. To try and catch up to the abundance of firearms sales that are still taking place.   

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2021 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Much of the lack of supply is being driven by hoarding by buyers. I have a friend who works at a local large gun store who told me Sunday that he sees the same faces every morning when they open the doors. The guys walk in and go straight to the ammunition and loading supplies. Whatever comes in they grab up and head to the registers with, leaving anyone else empty handed who comes in later.
My guess is they're reselling what they grab, as the store isn't jacking prices up when supplies arrive. He said they've tried stocking the shelves later during the day, but it takes employees away from their usual duties during open hours, so they went back to stocking during off hours.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2021 at 10:59am
Print Post  
And From the Horses Mouth.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2021 at 11:11am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2021 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Some are, and I applaud them, limiting purchases. I know, I know, they just come back later and buy again and again. This usually from those that don't always adhere to the honor system.   I, for one, am tired of hearing the whiners complain, when this is not the first rodeo. wake up, and think ahead.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2021 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Makes sense, but doesn't explain why you can't get a bullet mould from any of the normal suppliers.   Maybe all the people at Lee, Lyman, and RCBS quit and went to work for the ammo makers?

And the "hate mail" he speaks of should be directed at the politicians who wish to turn the citizens into subjects by disarming them and the mass media trying to split this country in two.   

George

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on May 25th, 2021 at 2:41pm:
 I, for one, am tired of hearing the whiners complain, when this is not the first rodeo. wake up, and think ahead.

Same here! When I see guys complain about being caught short on ammo, bullets, powder, primers, etc., I ask them how long have they been reloading or shooting? Seems to me if you've been doing this sport for more than a decade you'd have learned to stock up when things were available, and cheap. 
I start to worry whenever I get below 10,000 primers of any size I use. And can't ever recall worrying about powder, as I couldn't even make a wild guess how much I have?
My brother asked me the other day if I could spare any primers, as he was down to less than 1,000 large rifle. I told him he better ration his shooting as I didn't want to short myself any.
Almost hate to say this out loud; but when will the lead suppliers start saying they're short too, and drive the price up?

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
They probably already have.   I bought some .389 round balls yesterday from Track of the Wolf.   $17/100.   They were $10.95/100 6 months ago.   Been looking for a mould and all I see for just about any size is,  "Out of Stock.  No back Order."   Same with nearly all the jacketed bullets.

It definately pays to stay ahead of the curve on supplies.

George

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2021 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Not always the Shooters fault as I had over 5000 on the shelf and I could not have imagined running short. I would not have thought the shortage would end up lasting this long and a lot longer than the last one we went through. I also use an unpopular primer that was always in stock when all of the rest were not.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2021 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Guess we could all just take up fishing...

JMH

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2021 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
It is what it is.  Soaring demand, Remington bankruptcy, hoarding, whatever.  The Boy Scout motto taught us to be prepared, and you do that long before hurricane season.  Primers weren't all that expensive - really a small proportion of what we have invested in our sport.  If you prepped, good.  If you didn't, well, grasshopper. . . .

During WW2 there wasn't ANY ammo or components for civilians four long years, at any price.  Only exceptions were training programs and modest amounts of .22 issued to farmers for pest control.  The Rifleman started running articles about refurbishing grandpa's old flintlock.  (Black powder, for whatever reason, wasn't in short supply.)
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2021 at 6:50pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 25th, 2021 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Yup,  the flintlock is the answer, but you still have to have powder.   Flints can be found on the ground and anything that can be melted and moulded works as a projectile.   I have 2 excellent sources of flint within 100 miles, and lots of galena (lead ore) in what used to be silver mining areas close by.    Aside from my Sharps, my 54 caliber flintlock is my hunting "go to" rifle.   I've several other flintlocks and now building a 36 caliber one  for when I run out of 22 ammunition.

George

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2021 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
And making black powder can be a cottage industry, if you learn how to extract saltpeter from manure.   

<div class=

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2021 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Ok again now for large Federal rifle primers @ NZ$139.00 a thousand (new price up by $30.00) and as I'm not tight but careful I found another shop nearby on the net for so called old stock Federal small rifle match primers @ $109.00 a thousand.
According to post's on the net the match primers are the same as the standard Federal but have a closer inspection regime. 

Funny that making your own black powder was mentioned as recently there was this advert which sold, for doing just that. 
Click on the link and you should see it. 
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2021 at 10:03pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint