Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester Low Wall (Read 3877 times)
Hombre
Participating Member

Winchester Low Wall
May 18th, 2021 at 12:00am
Print Post  
has a new home now - .32 Ideal - Made in 1905.  It'd been stored in a gun safe for the last 30 years. Excellent bore and overall condition. Beach front sight; factory folding rear sight and Marbles tang sight.  28" barrel.   
It came with a box of 50 rounds of Peters and W.R.A. .32 Ideal ammunition, perhaps reloads from years ago, old timey rounde top primers. Will see about more brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Learning Ideal 32359/323059 and 32369/323069 bullets molds would be good to use - just need to find them now. If anyone has other input for cast bullets, load information and comments regarding this cartridge, would greatly appreciate the sharing of some information. thank you

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester Low Wall
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2021 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Very nice!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Beautiful Low Wall!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Beauty.   

Don't remember without looking it up, but when did Winchester start putting proof marks like those shown in the pictures?  I have on like that but the proof marks were later than the manufacturing date so I interpreted it to mean the gun was returned to the factory for some reason.  Is this true?

John

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Very nice indeed.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Oh boy!  A lovely rifle in one of my favorite calibers.  Congratulations!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

freebird

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2021 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
WP proof marks were introduced on rifles some time in 1905.
They were also added to guns sent in for repair after that date.
They are always present on both barrel and receiver (a good way to check the barrel has not been changed sometimes...)

Beautiful gun in excellent condition. I'd love to add one like  it to my little stack of low walls...

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2021 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
That beauty would soon become a favorite at my house! Keep us posted on the shooting results.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2021 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
May mean it was sent back for some reason. When Winchester made for whatever 
reason an enginineering change that became the standard and anything that was worked on had to be held to that standard. Had a freind that years ago contacted Winchester to rebarrel Hiwall action he owned to .22 Hornet. Their response was no problem and a price. Now this was a beautiful Color Cased double set trigger action that was in "As new Condition" So he delivered it to the Factory because he at that time lived in Connecticut. They sent him a card a couple of weeks later that it was done. When he got there they brought out a Rifle that was newly Blued and had the W P proof stamp on the reciever bridge
which had not been there before. He raised all kinds of hell over it, so they got the Supervisor from the custom shop down to explain and he said they were required under company rules to bring any rifle that came in up to the current standard. Now by this time Winchester had stopped using Color Case finish and rifles were Proof tested and properly stamped and Blue was the standard finish and if he had told them that he wanted to keep the Color case they would have had to refuse the job. If your rifle was built in 1905 then it would have been a Blued Rifle and should have had the W P Proof stamp. They agreed to update his rifle to serial # as being done at the factory. So it sounds like yours is correct with a 1905 manufacuring date. Any how what you have is a beauty. HTH Regards FITZ, OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2021 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Interesting, informative and sad tale, Tuck. But this sure is a nice acquisition, Hombre.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Don't risk firing that old ammo.  Maybe corrosive primed, may be mercuric primed.  Second case can be very hard on that almost-unobtainable brass.

<div class=

IP Logged

CW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Hombre wrote on May 18th, 2021 at 12:00am:
has a new home now - .32 Ideal - Made in 1905.  It'd been stored in a gun safe for the last 30 years. Excellent bore and overall condition. Beach front sight; factory folding rear sight and Marbles tang sight.  28" barrel.  
It came with a box of 50 rounds of Peters and W.R.A. .32 Ideal ammunition, perhaps reloads from years ago, old timey rounde top primers. Will see about more brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Learning Ideal 32359/323059 and 32369/323069 bullets molds would be good to use - just need to find them now. If anyone has other input for cast bullets, load information and comments regarding this cartridge, would greatly appreciate the sharing of some information. thank you

I have Ideal 322360 mold which is a 32 Ideal bullet casting about 195 grains I think, if I remember right.
When you say 32369 do you mean 32360? I have never seen the 323"69" listed. The 32360 may be a Perfection mold if I remember right.

You have the rifle I have been looking for and I only have had the mold for decades looking for the rifle Grin.

IP Logged

Hombre
Participating Member

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2021 at 10:51am
Print Post  
opps...    
You're correct, mold number should be 32360/32360 thanks

IP Logged

Hombre
Participating Member

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2021 at 10:56am
Print Post  
uscra112 - not planning to fire the old ammo, for the reasons you mentioned.  Plan is to obtain RMC new brass and go from there. Would appreciate hearing from those out there who're using this round, as to what bullet weight (mold number) you're using? thank you
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2021 at 11:11am by Hombre »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2021 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I lined a shot-out Stevens 44-1/2 with a TJ’s 0.323” liner and chambered it in .32 Ideal.  I reworked the block and firing pin to centerfire (with difficulty).  The twist may be tighter than your original.

I’ve used the Ideal 31949, shortened to 136gr, the Hoch 32359 clone (323135) at 135gr, a real Ideal 32359, and a 178gr Hoch stop-ring .32 bullet.  Powders have included Olde Eynsford 1-1/2 Fg, Swiss 1-1/2 and 3Fg, Hodgdon Benchmark, IMR-4198 and SR-4756.  I’d suggest you start with the loads in Cartridges of the World; the 4198 charge is a pretty good one.

The other powders (besides the casefulls of. ~25gr of Black) are pretty much cut-and-try for the individual experimenter.

Generally I’ve gotten 4 of 5 shots under 2” at 50 and 100 yards with Lyman tang and Stevens blade front, spoiled by a flyer enlarging the group to 4” or larger.

I think the main problem is that I have failed to make a sizing die that allows a slight friction fit of bullet in shell.  I don’t want to size and expand the RMC cases I have; turned cases don’t handle that well, and those were expensive shells.  Some of the bullets more or less recede in the shells upon chambering, some do not.  Lead time for a commercial die set is illustrative of the phrase “Life is too short.”

I’ve been doing a lot of the routine load work with expanded 7.62 Nagant pistol cases.  Blown straight out, they come up a little short, but they do work and extract.  Fiocci, or whoever made them, left them very brittle, even with a couple bouts of annealing, my dozen range trips have reduced the number I started with by half.

But I got the baggie of 60 of them cheep at a gun show, so I’m not too outraged.  I wish Starline would offer their Nagant shells unnecked and untrimmed; they’d make a decent Ideal basic case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint