Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) First time breech loading. Im hooked! (Read 3693 times)
Gard72977

First time breech loading. Im hooked!
May 8th, 2021 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I got my CPA about a month ago. 

Ran in to a few problems getting ready to shoot. I had never pan lubed. Lube I had was so hard yiu couldnt get the bullets out. Orderded some Schutzen lube. Problem solved. 

Finally got out today. I was worried because this is new to me. I took 20 charged cases with corks in them. Everything went great. Its perfect for me.

Now I need support equipment. I want a box that will hold my rifle. Im going to start charging cases at the range.

Cant wait to get back to the range with plenty of ammo!

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: First time breech loading. Im hooked!
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2021 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Another convert! Outstanding! Javelina Schuetzen Lube was a great choice. 

Jerry Cleave can fix you up with a re-decapper if you need one. A Harrell's Schuetzen powder measure would be a nice addition to your bench set-up.

There are plenty of other items you can ad as you go along but these two will get you off to a good start.

It's always fun spending someone else's money. Grin

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2021 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I don't do the one case reloading at the range usually, unless I'm working up a best charge. Once I know what works best I charge my cases at home and then case them up and lay a layer of foam rubber over them and close the lid on my ammo box. I've traveled hundreds of miles to shoot and not had any spills or issues this way.
I just prefer to spend all my time shooting at the range vs. depriming, and charging cases there. I get a lot more shots down range in the same time period if I have them ready to just seat a bullet and shoot.
You might take a look at Jeff's Outfitters for a nice hard case that's canvas covered, with leather trimmings. They carry one listed for a 1874 Sharps that would likely work well for many single shot rifles.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2021 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
How about caliber, load and some pictures.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2021 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
I have a Harrel benchrest powder measure. I may start with that but I want a Schuetzen Measure.

I was very akward and clumsy loading.  A good rang box that holds the rifle would be a big help.

For now I want to take primed cases. I plan to charge them and go straight in to the rifle.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2021 at 1:04am
Print Post  
First time shooting a breechloader or first time breech seating bullets?

In either case, good to hear you like it.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2021 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Glad to have you with us. 
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2021 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I too am a recent convert and am enjoying the new experience immensely. 

I utilize a Harrell's Shuetzen measure and am beyond satisfied with it- as long as I stick to fine grained powders. Next up is to explore the use of 4759 (as I have a wonderful supply of it) but the measure doesn't deal with it well. To that end I procured a pile of small glass vials into which I'll pre-load accurately weighed charges at home. I'm determined to utilize a single case at the shooting bench.

I realized also that my choice of bullets and/or alloy needed fine tuning, or I just needed another excuse for more custom molds from Accurate. Probably the latter.

Wads or no wads, that is the question. I'm not far enough along to say yes or no with my rifle.

My biggest stumbling block was a defective scope mount, which reared its ugly head in the middle of my first match.

I too abandoned the messy lube pump for pan lubing, with Javelina Schuetzen anyway.

I never dreamed that BS'ing held so many variables, and am looking forward to solving the mysteries (or having fun and dying trying!).

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2021 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Gnoahhh what cartridge is your rifle chambered for. Also happy to see you are enjoying the experience. The combinations one can come up with while still sitting at the shooting bench for load development is just about endless. One can also spend an entire day at the range without having to get beat up from recoil and it also does no harm to ones rifle or the fellow sitting behind it. That is if one is shooting a 33-47 or something else abit smaller.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2021 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I have Harrell’s Schuetzen and one of his early rifle measures.  The Schuetzen shines light charges of pistol powder. I think the Rifle measure is best for 4227. 

Give you example.  14.5 grs 4227 for my 32/40 loads or 17 grs 4227 38/55 loads the Schuetzen measure chamber is wide open & not very deep. 17 gr charge almost maximum on the Micrometer.  Rifle measure deep chamber not very wide, 17 grs uses less than half its capacity. Opinion can’t back up with facts the deep not very wide rifle measure better choice.

Stick powders like 4759 Belding & Mull is the best. Nothing else even close. Again personal opinion.

Boats

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2021 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
The CPA is 32-40 cartridge. The load is 14gr 4227 with 200gr bullet. Scope is 6x Unertl.

The Lowall is a 22LR in desperate  need of palm rest!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2021 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
My 32/40 CPA used offhand exclusively load large volume of fixed ammo 14.5 4227 with the Harrell’s rifle measure. If you work the handle consistently it’s absolutely accurate. Only way to throw a light charge is work it too fast.

The Schuetzen is my go to measure for Unique 25/20 or 38/40 loads.

Get the chance tonight will work up a tutorial on throwing consistent charges.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2021 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
If you can find any I have had great success with 300MP. Its a ball powder and right next to 4759 on the burn rate chart. My 32-40 liked an average velocity of 1474fps. For myself it was right at 14.2 grains and it also tends to like magnum primers as well as Fed. 210's the best for 200 yard benchrest competition.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2021 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Powder is pretty much no existant here. I have a 8lb unopened jug of 4227 so im going to work up a load with it. 

Just intrested in offhand shooting right now. Plenty of improvement on my part to work on.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2021 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 2:10pm:
Gnoahhh what cartridge is your rifle chambered for. Also happy to see you are enjoying the experience. The combinations one can come up with while still sitting at the shooting bench for load development is just about endless. One can also spend an entire day at the range without having to get beat up from recoil and it also does no harm to ones rifle or the fellow sitting behind it. That is if one is shooting a 33-47 or something else abit smaller.

.32-40 High Wall w/Pope barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint