Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Liege made .22 target riifle. (Read 2882 times)
TD Dick
Participating Member

Liege made .22 target riifle.
Apr 28th, 2021 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
l. 
This rifle is an ootgon barreled .22. It is built on a Schuetzen style stock, The action resembles a Martini, but is not a martini.   Proof marks are all correct.  The big question is the maker. The barrel is marked  "Meyers-Coune".  I've been aware of this company for a long time.  They are known for making "pistols" since the late 1800's to early.1900;s.  Although they are known for their single shots they received on a patent on an automatic pistol in 1913. I can NOWHERE find any rifles at all regardless of caliber.
Rumor control (we all now how accurate this can be)  claims they made five rifles. If true, this could have the "guild gun" as it serial number  ""1".   Does anybody know  ANYTHING about a Meyers-Coune rifle. I do have pictures verifying the info stated here.

IP Logged

blk43

Re: Liege made .22 target riifle.
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
There is a Lige Harris who lives in Trinidad, CO.  I don't have contact with him but may see him at the Scheutzenfest in Rato NM in August.

Good luck,

Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Show us a pic of the action. By the way, Lige is here as Gaintwist and is in New Mexico now. (Liege is the gun making center of Belgium.)

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2021 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
If I can figure out how to upload them, I  have the pictures of the Meyers-Coune

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2021 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
OK now I can give you a few

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2021 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
and again

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2021 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
You say it is not a Martini. Does that mean it has an internal hammer instead of a striker? I wouldn't mind having one like that.

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2021 at 9:20am
Print Post  
First, I want to make one thing clear. The rifle is NOT for sale. I'm looking for information on it. Now, to the question of spring or hammer action. It is a spring, pin function. It is not like a Martini pin spring. It is much simpler. and direct. None of the lever toggle system. If interested , I'll try to get some pix of it. It's easier to explain that way. This thing is pure target and neat. Thanks for being interested.
Dick

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2021 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Dick,
Rotating block actions usually use the Martini patent action but hammer and non Martini striker action variations are not uncommon. A photo of the inner mechanism might help identify at least your actions likely origin and whether Meyers-Coune made the action themselves or retailed a rifle / action made by someone else.
The Westley Richards, ZAR contract, Martini rifles are an excellent example of a British company, sourcing its actions from Belgium.
Two excellent reference books on rotating action rifles are the "Alte Scheibenwaffen" 3 volume series published by Tom Rowe and Winfer's 8 volume series, on British single shot rifles, also a Rowe publication.
Otto

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2021 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks Otto. I've pix of everything except the action pieces. I'll dig out my camera and back to you ASAP.
Dick

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2021 at 11:35am
Print Post  
OK Otto and all, here is the breech block. VERY simple. The long "L" shapes lever hanging down is the sear. A single lever in the receiver pushes back the small bar under the breech block.
The sear catches same. Pressure on the trigger releases it. Very short and very fast response. Almost no perceived movement of the trigger.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2021 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Dick,
I've never seen an action like yours and don't recall seeing it in the references listed above. Martini and pseudo Martini rifles sure present a wide variety of variations. 
I'll recheck my reference books and ask some of my Martini collector friends, if they have seen an example of your action. I'll let you know what I can find out, sometime next week. Maybe someone on this forum may be able to help?
Do you have a picture from the back of the breechblock? 
I suspect that the firing pin is powered by a coil spring like a Martini; that the FP is retracted by the lever pushing on the piece within the under lug, as the lever pulls the breechblock down and that the FP is retained by the sear pinned to the breechblock. Just as you described above. Yes?
Otto
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2021 at 2:26pm by chipmaker »  

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2021 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I don't haace a picture of the rear, but that part is indeed similar to Martini, A retainer around the rear of the pin held in by a small screw/ If you look closely at the pix, you can see how shotrt and small that bar is, Barely visible is the sear grab point. Think about how small a movement it there and how small the movement necessary at the bottom leg of the sear.  And shoot!! Eley rifle match ammo, 15 meters, off=hand, 7 rounds...1 small ragged hole covered with a dime. AND, there is no chamber step in the rifle. Just a long smooth transition into the rifling.Oh and there is a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver so as to clean from the breech end. Anti glare finish an the top flat. Like I said serious target stuff.  Till next time, I look forward to hearing from you.

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2021 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Dick,
I don't see a Martini action, similar to your action, in any of my reference books. My Martini collector friends, have also never seen your action. It seems that "one of the innumerable Continental Martini variations" is about as close as i can get.
"Alte Scheibenwaffen" volume 2 has about 200 pages devoted to the Martini and pseudo Martini actions but none similar to your action. It seems as if many define the Martini system by the presence of a coil spring, in the breechblock and not Martini's method of cocking the action. So I think that you could call your action a true Martini.
The Buchel Martini system is a pseudo Martini, with a free floating firing pin and a striker action, that is cocked by the breechblock, as it rotates down and has a pined sear to the action. It has the components seen in your action but a completely different arrangement.
Thanks for sharing your unique rifle with us. If you are able to gather any additional information, in the future, please add it to this post, as it is a very interesting action.
Otto

IP Logged

TD Dick
Participating Member

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2021 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Otto. Thanks for your input. It is appreciated. Any info on this may be a long time coming, but you never know. As I mentioned above, there is no visible chamber end line. . I'm trying to find my good bore light, cuz, it almost looks like a gain twist. I can't be sure yet, but I'll let you know. There used to be a rumor that Leman Indian trade rifles were occasionally made with a gain twist. I have one, dated about 1840, that has a definite gain twist. For you or anyone interested, I did get some pretty good pix of the barrel markings with all the proofs. Later all. 
Dick       (Long ago, Trapdoor Dick)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint