Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A bit of luck on Gunbroker... (Read 943 times)
Just Jim

A bit of luck on Gunbroker...
Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The Maynard bug continues to bite me pretty aggressively, so I am always on the hunt for Massachusetts Arms "stuff." I very, very, rarely find anything, and despite a lifetime of going to gun shows, have never found anything in person, as opposed to internet sales. 

Browsing Gunbroker a couple weeks ago, I happened upon a listing for a Maynard tang sight, and shure enough, it appeared to be a proper Hadley vernier. Whats more, it was featured a very modest (in my opinion) "buy it now" price. Did I hesitate? Uh, no...

The sight arrived today, and I am very pleased. I particularly like the Jan 18, 1876 patent date. This being the only such animal I have been able to place in my unworthy hands, I don't know if they are all so marked or of this might denote an earlier production sample.

I lost no time in pulling the Ukranian(?) reproduction sight and placing this on my No. 16. I also happened to load some .38-50s today, so perhaps I can get out tomorrow long enought to zero it. 

As rare as Maynard suff seems to be, I am pretty darn tickled! Cheesy

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) by (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), on Flickr

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) by (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), on Flickr

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A bit of luck on Gunbroker...
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
That's great! Now, sell me your Ukrainian one in case I ever get a Maynard!

IP Logged

Just Jim

Re: A bit of luck on Gunbroker...
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 7:09pm:
That's great! Now, sell me your Ukrainian one in case I ever get a Maynard!

Hahahaha-snort-hahaha-chortle-hahahaha! Actually, that Ukranian sight is really good. The only failing is the height of the disk is so tall it prevents the staff from resting on the sight stud as it should.

As happy as I am, I'm a bit haunted - the same seller had a windgauge front sight. The dovetail size was not given, but as these were the only single shot items they had, they may both have come from a Maynard, and I may have missed out. But the front sight was not as severely underpriced as the vernier tang, so I held off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint