Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pedersoli 1874 Sharps issues *Update* (Read 5481 times)
Spokes

Pedersoli 1874 Sharps issues *Update*
Apr 17th, 2021 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I just got home from a trip to the range with my brand new Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifle that left me very disappointed. I experienced numerous misfires and while some rounds fired on the first strike, several required two or three strikes. I used factory ammo that I have previously used in my trapdoor rifle without a misfire so I am reasonably sure that it is not an ammo issue. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a a similar issue with a Pedersoli Sharps rifle.

**I contacted Pedersoli who put me in touch with Lee Shaver. I spoke with Lee and he talked me through a couple of diagnostics which resulted in him suggesting that I box up the lock and breech block and send them to him. He contacted me yesterday and said that the mainspring was the problem. Since it's a new gun the cost of the repair is on Pedersoli. Again, my thanks for your replies and to Lee Shaver for a quick turnaround.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2021 at 9:46am by Spokes »  

IP Logged

Packet

Re: Pedersoli 1874 Sharps issues
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Cant speak for the Pedersoli but as a gunsmith, I have seen my share of new firearms, both pistol and rifle with inadequate firing pin protrusion. Check your fp to see if the travel is impeded in any way. If you know how to disassemble the rifle, check the fp protrusion. I don't know what its supposed to be for a Sharps but typical protrusion is 50-70 thousandths. Post a pic of your brass so we can see how well the fp is hitting the primer.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2021 at 7:25pm by Packet »  

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
It's not exactly a regular thing on the Pedersoli's, but it crops up once in awhile. A friend of mine got one from his wife as an anniversary gift a few years ago, it wouldn't fire at all. They took it back to Cabela's and they replaced it. Probably a headspace problem.
I believe Lee Shaver is the US Pedersoli authorized gunsmith. Might be worth a call to him.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 9:37am
Print Post  
The firing pin angle on the 1874 Sharps can occasionally give misfire issues. Since it's a brand new gun, I'd disassemble it, and give the firing pin a good cleaning, and inspection. Check for any issue with the firing pin not moving freely in the block, as oils or crud from manufacturing might be causing some friction between the block and pin.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Spokes ... no mention that you cleaned the block on the rifle before you went to the range
New rifles should be thoughly  cleaned before use.  
PS ... if there is an ignition problem, it would have been discovered when the rifle was proof tested

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
John if the proof load was one of the fire on first try rounds, it may not of been detected

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I bought a Pedersoli from Dixie that wouldn’t fire half the time. Upon inspection I discovered the rifle was engineered/phudedup with a rebounding hammer. Ended up rebending the mainspring to give the hammer a full swing and all was well. If your hammer is not resting fully on the striker bar at firing rather resting with a gap between the two time to alter the mainspring, good luck.

IP Logged

Spokes

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Premod70,
I noticed that very thing today. It strikes the striker bar and bounces back leaving a gap as you describe. I never had to deal with a mainspring issue. What is the procedure?

BTW,
Thanks to all who replied.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Item 20 ....

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:23am
Print Post  
If it is a brand new rifle let the seller deal with it not you. As soon as you touch it the seller and the manufacturer are no longer liable for any current or future warranty repairs.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Spokes wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 9:12pm:
Premod70,
I noticed that very thing today. It strikes the striker bar and bounces back leaving a gap as you describe. I never had to deal with a mainspring issue. What is the procedure?

BTW,
Thanks to all who replied.

I bent the spring but so gently, Italian steel and hardening methods are somewhat inconsistent. At the same time relieving wood in the stock for clearance, good luck.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 10:18am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:23am:
If it is a brand new rifle let the seller deal with it not you. As soon as you touch it the seller and the manufacturer are no longer liable for any current or future warranty repairs.

That's a good suggestion, but sometimes can be very expensive, even if shipping and repairs are covered by the manufacturer's rep. As you know in Ca. every time you send a modern firearm off for repair you'll have to pay another transfer fee to pick up your own gun again. And have the same waiting period again also.
If it was mine and simply tweaking the mainspring a little fixed it, it would never leave my house.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Why not just drop it off at the local dealer is that not what we do with our cars that are still being covered under a manufacturer's warranty.
I live in california and what you state might not actually be true. Once it has been legally been transferred into your name there are no more transfer fees or a waiting period if sending it off for repairs. And one can actually do it themselves via USPS or some other means and it will come right back to you.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:20am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:01am:
Why not just drop it off at the local dealer is that not what we do with our cars that are still being covered under a manufacturer's warranty.
I live in california and what you state might not actually be true. Once it has been legally been transferred into your name there are no more transfer fees or a waiting period if sending it off for repairs. And one can actually do it themselves via USPS or some other means and it will come right back to you.

John, my California friends who tell me they took guns to the gun store they bought it from to be sent back to the factory for repairs have told me this. When it returns to the store they have to do another background check, and pay the fee before they get their own gun back.
Now if the store does the repair, or a gunsmith does it in state, there's no fees or paperwork. But if it gets sent back to the factory Ca. requires paperwork, and fees. 

Cars don't get sent back to the factory for repairs, or Ca. might make you pay for those again too!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Has never happened to myself or any of my friends. And if it should have to go back to the factory in Italy of which I highly doubt that would all be on the seller of a new firearm. And by no means on the owner to cover any or all of those costs. If taken to a local authorized dealer none of this comes into play they simply fix it and hand it back when done. Let me put it this way if I send my rifle back to CPA lets say to have something fixed does any really believe it has to go back through a DRO's background check again and another waiting period to get it back if living in Ca. That is just not only unrealistic it also not true. In fact I can send it directly to CPA and several of those actually in our group have done exactly just that. Don't get me wrong Ca. sucks but this is abit over the top unless someone is foolish enough to believe that they have to jump through such hoops. 

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2021 at 5:24pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint