Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) H.M. Pope And The 1894 Winchester (Read 5996 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

H.M. Pope And The 1894 Winchester
Feb 11th, 2021 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Found this barrel a while back and noticed it was for an 1894 Winchester takedown.  Was Harry buying barrels from Winchester for lever guns and then rifling them himself? We know he got them for 1885's.  Not a single shot I know but he seems to be in much of the conversation lately. Smiley  Bob

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: H.M. Pope And The 1894 Winchester
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I like it. It's a barrel a deer would be proud to be killed with.

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
scharfe wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 4:51pm:
I like it. It's a barrel a deer would be proud to be killed with.

LOL

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Oh honey....yes dear..... Cheesy

(very nice find btw, thanks for sharing!)

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I remember seeing  listing for a '95 Winchester with Pope barrel.  .30-06, I think.

Life Member #205

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
After all, Pope himself much enjoyed hunting, specializing in woodchucks, if I remember correctly.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 1:34am
Print Post  
He also killed a lot of deer too. 
Lee Gibbs pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Is it actually a .32-40, or is it a larger bore now? Since it has Winchester's VP proof stamp, it seems to indicate it left the factory chambered for the .32-40 cartridge, and not just bored as Pope used on 1885 barrels. So likely it's rebored, and rifled by Pope to a larger bore?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Pope did buy drilled barrels from Winchester and reamed and rifled them. Asd on occasion the Custom shop would order a barrel from Pope (The Ittle rifle is an example) If I had to guess Id speculate that a gunsmith at sometime removed a Pope barrels from a Schuetzen rifle to turn it into a varminter. That was not unusual at the time. Because it was a good barrel the smith put it aside and when a customer came in with a 32 caliber lever gun he set it back re chambered it and out the boor it went.
Pope did enjoy hunting and was an avid deer hunter. He always said if you were hunting you didnt need a Pope barrel. He backed that up by using a Winchester High Wall in 30-40 Kraeg just the way the factory sent it.

40 rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
If I remember right Pope killed quite a few deer or I should say all of the deer he shot were one shot kills with the exception of maybe one with his 30-40 Krag HW and claimed it to be the very best hunting cartridge on the market at that time. If memory also serves right he also killed some elk with that rifle back at that time and having the same results. Its been so long back since I have read about his hunting experiences I hope I got allot of this right.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
They are fiction but I do remember the Pyne stories. One of these stories had him hunting with an 1878 sharps in 38/72.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Feb 15th, 2021 at 12:37pm:
Pope did buy drilled barrels from Winchester and reamed and rifled them. Asd on occasion the Custom shop would order a barrel from Pope (The Ittle rifle is an example) If I had to guess Id speculate that a gunsmith at sometime removed a Pope barrels from a Schuetzen rifle to turn it into a varminter. That was not unusual at the time. Because it was a good barrel the smith put it aside and when a customer came in with a 32 caliber lever gun he set it back re chambered it and out the boor it went.
Pope did enjoy hunting and was an avid deer hunter. He always said if you were hunting you didnt need a Pope barrel. He backed that up by using a Winchester High Wall in 30-40 Kraeg just the way the factory sent it.

40 rod

Since this barrel still has original Winchester markings, plus the Pope markings, I don't see how either would exist if it had been recontured? And the "VP" marking would indicate it was chambered, rifled, and proofed at Winchester, so had to be a finished barrel before it left there.
I'd still like to know if it's a .32-40 still, or maybe bored, and rifled by Pope to maybe .38-55, or something other than the original caliber?

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I'm with Marlinguy in asking what this barrel is now bored/chambered to accept.  From the markings, it is no longer a .32/40.  Is it a .38/55 or perhaps a wildcat .35?

Life Member #205

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Maybe it's a .33-47?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2021 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Feb 17th, 2021 at 11:14pm:
Maybe it's a .33-47?

Bill Lawrence

I don't think it could go from .32-40 Win rifling to .33-47 and Pope rifling. Likely have to be a larger bore of at least .35 caliber.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Pope did rebore 32-40's to 33-40's and 33-47's.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 10:31am:
Pope did rebore 32-40's to 33-40's and 33-47's.

Yes, on his original bore and rifling. But not on someone else's rifling. He'd be trying to rifle it left hand twist over Winchester's right hand twist, and end up not cleaning up all the original .32-40 rifling if he only opened it up to a .33-47 Pope.
So you'd have cross hatch pattern right-left rifling, and likely different twist rates too. I've never heard or read of Pope going over other's rifling and following their right hand twist rate?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Here you go Vall " In the later early cartridge era rifles were often "freshened" to the next size up. Pope recut 32 calibers to 33. "   
I have also checked on having this being done to my 32-40 barrel and not a problem it can still be easily done today.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:36pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 3:12pm:
Here you go Vall " In the later early cartridge era rifles were often "freshened" to the next size up. Pope recut 32 calibers to 33. "  

I have also checked on having this being done to my 32-40 barrel and not a problem it can still be easily done today.

Yes, but again John, he was freshening HIS rifling to the larger size .33, not changing right hand twist Winchester to left hand twist Pope rifling.
And I'm sure others recut rifling to match existing rifling twist and shape. Just not Pope cutting over Winchester's rifling.
Just not enough material to get the old rifling removed completely and rifle it to .33 caliber if he was going to change to left hand Pope.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
What formula are using to determine that the existing grooves would not be completely removed as if starting from an unrifled barrel. It is highly doubtful that Pope could actually follow his own and even if could the twist rate would not be the same and it too would also have to be changed. The only way to do that would be to wipe out all of the existing rifling no matter who originally rifled the barrel or in what direction.
The twist rate for my own would also have to be changed and I have been informed that it too would be a part of the re-cutting / re-rifleing  process but now and I am confused? 
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2021 at 6:35pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 18th, 2021 at 4:26pm:
What formula are using to determine that the existing grooves would not be completely removed as if starting from an unrifled barrel. It is highly doubtful that Pope could actually follow his own and even if could the twist rate would not be the same and it too would also have to be changed. The only way to do that would be to wipe out all of the existing rifling no matter who originally rifled the barrel or in what direction.

Since Pope had his rifling machine, and his barrels were coded for the twist rate, he could easily follow his own rifling. 
But the usual old .32-40 bores were drilled around .314" and rifling was .0025 deep. At least that's what was specified. But I've found most old .32-40's to be larger than .319" and often more around .323"-.326" groove. At least none of mine are as small as under .323" for my old singleshots. So I'd guess they'd need to go slightly larger bore just to clean up the remnants of rifling before changing twist rates, or especially before changing direction to left hand twist?
I'm not positive what groove diameter the old gunsmiths used for the old .33-40 and .33-47, but the Hepburn I have in .33-40 is a true .33 at .329" groove. That's cutting things pretty close to remove the original .320"-.323" groove, and be able to get a new rifled bore around .329" groove diameter.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I have a 33 bullet out of an original Pope mould that Fitz sent me several years back and the baseband is .340 - 341 and the last driving band is .338 but I have no clue what the bore diameter would actually be. But say it was minus .004 per side and a minus .008 total it would be .332 give or take. So maybe Pope's bore size on his re-rifled 33 barrels might be bigger than what we might think it to be? 
Hopefully Fitz might Chime in with his own input I keep getting more confused on how Pope actually did it. Hopefully I wasn't measuring the wrong bullet but I don't believe it was i have always keep that 33 Pope bullet in a separate and highly protected place.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #22 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
It would be nice if not conclusive if Old-Win slugged his Pope-rifled bore and informed us of its measurements.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
If Pope's .33 was actually a .34 then the rebore would easily work. Now I wonder why it wasn't called a .34-40 or .34-47?

Yes Bill, I wish he'd return and quit leaving us guessing!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
On page 12 in his catalog it only states the below.

Recutting to Pope System
I recut rifles of other makers to a larger sizes with the same outfit and guarantees as for a new barrel.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Bill I am curious if it was recut to a 33-47 or if it is still a 32-40. Other than reading that is something he typicaly did Pope. I cannot find any other information other than its known that he would do it.
When I was thinking about having mine recut from a 32-40 to 33-47. I was talking to Cliff LaBounty at the time and he said he could do it. How I don't have a clue I never thought to ask him that question.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Starting make more sense on recutting a 32-40 to a 33-40 or 33-47. Bore diameter would then be .330 + or - and existing 32-40 rifling would then be completely removed.
Sometimes called the .33-47, this caliber is merely the .32-40 with .338 groove rifling. It was originally made to enable shooters to get a new barrel by just rerifling a worn out or damaged barrel, but there were a number of barrels originally made in this caliber, especially as Stevens-Popes.  It is easy to tell if an original Stevens-Pope barrel has been rerifled by Stevens, as the marking on the underside of the barrel is changed. 
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:54pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I have a Ballard #3 Gallery rifle that began life as the typical .22L chambering. It was re-rifled to .25 Stevens RF Long at Stevens, and is marked in Stevens script on the exposed barrel flat. But also marked under the forearm on the barrel as being done by Stevens. I don't recall the exact wording on their rollstamp now, but I believe it reads, "Re-rifled by J. Stevens" ?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Looking back and now getting allot harder for me to do my Bresien Steven's 33-47 was .338. Action and barrel were both made by Ken and the barrel a left hand twist. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint