Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sight adapter wanted. (Read 1219 times)
Pacific Rifle
Participating Member

Sight adapter wanted.
Dec 14th, 2020 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I am looking for a part, which I will try and describe to you.  It is an adapter to mount something like a Redfield International on the tang of a single shot rifle.  I saw one on a Ballard years ago at a match which appeared to be a casting.  I don't know if it was a commercial product or a one off.  The base mounted like a tang sight base, but had an arm off the left side which went vertical and then had the sight mounting rail across the top like a "T".  It positioned the sight just as it would be on a receiver, but further back, clear of the bore and hammer.  A better solution than the long adapters which mount on scope blocks, I think.  Does anyone have one, or know who made them?  My application is a Ballard.  Long ago Vaver cataloged a whole sight for Ballard and Stevens rifles that worked that way, but I have never seen one.

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Re: Sight adapter wanted.
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 3:19am
Print Post  
The one I have in mind was attached to a scope base or predrilled holes in the barrel. Then was machined so that you could use a Redfield rear sight. Might be wrong but Vaver made such a critter many years ago and I believe Neil Rice also did some. Precision Shooting magazine which is long out of business did an article on making one up out of a couple pieces of steel. I'm still looking for that article. That's about the best I can come up with. Frank

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Not on the tang but mounts a sight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I have two of these in my collection for Ballard rifles. One is a complete unit with the sight, and base. It is milled to fit the sight, but the sight is also milled to fit the rails milled into the base, and a single large knurled knob to lock it in place. A very nicely built assembly.
The 2nd one I own is simply a base with the two typical mounting holes for a Redfield or Lyman sight to bolt to. It appears to be cast steel, but machined surface for the sight.

And the base for receiver sight:

Have had these for decades, and had the complete one on a Ballard #3 for awhile. A very nice setup, although a bit bulky. Neither are for sale at this time.

IP Logged

Pacific Rifle
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
Very nice!  That is not the one I saw, but the same idea.  I currently have a Redfield mounted on the left side of my Ballard action, but would prefer it be further back.  My brother uses a Goss so mounted because of the longer "arm" on it.  I don't really trust hanging a receiver sight on a long adapter off a scope block, that looks fragile.  I know that CPA has offered such adapters for both Anschutz and Redfield sights.  My "white whale" is the tang mounted Vaver, I have been looking for one for decades.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
The CPA adaptor is intended for 200 yard Schuetzen. Very mild use compared to some ways to use a target rifle .  Friend has been using one number of years our club matches.  No issues 

Boats 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I don't have a picture of the other base that has the flat vertical plate that's smooth and has two holes to screw the Redfield or Lyman sight to it.
The base on it looks much like the base I pictured above, other than the vertical attachment plate.

I too have been looking for a Vaver that tang mounts on a Ballard for decades. I have a friend who found one at an auction and bought it, but I can't talk him out of it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint